Auckland City NZ

Askew

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest catwash

Is there a big scene in NZ? Just in Auckland?

nice looking pieces, never really thought about graf over there!

Guest kwoeoner

that is crazy luvin that askew and that dude driving that car plain thingo and tha rose shop legal is insane

Guest duh-rye-won

real tight

the flow of the background in the first one is real cool. nice work. hope you got paid nice for the florist.

Guest ego trippin

Nice work askew, i've always been a huge fan of your work. It's good to see New Zealand gettin the props that they've deserved for so long.

Man..thanks people...didnt expect such nice responses...I've tried my best to answer everybodies questions..

Is there a big scene in NZ? Just in Auckland?

Mainly in Auckland..But thats due to our population compared to the rest of the country. Auckland has a huge bombing/tagging scene...it's quite gangster really..But there are also a couple of hundred comitted writers or retired/or up and coming writers here, so there is a scene in Auckland..In other city centres here...Wellington and Christchurch you have a smaller but really dedicated scene....I would not wellington mainly for their sense of style..Its very traditional and one crew in particular SSS have great letter styles...But on the non-permission buzz, I give it up to BML crew...They do quite risky stuff...

In Christchurch you have Filth and TNA crews...Very innovative stuff...They are isolated from the rest of the scene so they have just invented styles and techniques that blow me away...this kid Fiasko in particular really does it for me....

I see a gasp there lol

Yeah he's a great writer too...he's been writing for about 10 years and really has a lot of street tags and very classic styled pieces around the city...When Can Two was here he was saying that he should change his name due to the other well known Gasp's around the world..he's considered it but old habits die hard I guess...

that is crazy luvin that askew and that dude driving that car plain thingo and tha rose shop legal is insane

Thanks..I'm happy with where my style is going because it is constantly evolving...You have to see a whole lot of them in chronilogical order to see it too...The character work on our walls is mainly painted by this kid Deus...He has mad skills..I cant express how much this kids blows my mind....I'll post some more stuff of his up real soon...

DAMN, SURPRISED TO SEE ASKEW ON HERE!!! AUCKLAND ROCKS AS A CITY, I WENT THERE IN 91' AND THE ONLY PIECE I SAW WAS DONE BY FREEZE AND I CAUGHT A TAG OF AN O.G. GANGSTER HERE FROM THE BAY AREA. THE WOMEN THERE ROCK TOO!

Haha! indeed...We actually had writers painting pieces out here as early as 1980...Thats a few years before they were painting in Europe..But it really died..Mostly kids got into tagging inspired by the LA style...Our scene went through a second infancy around 1993 and from there things have developed again...slowly..

nice work askew.i saw some of your stuff when a mate went over to nz for that big jam u had recently...

Yeah, thats the Disrupt The System event which is part of our Aotearoa Hip hop Summit...it was really great last year but knocked me for a six financially...Looks like it will happen again this year and hopefully I can iron out all the mistakes I made last time around...The dates this year are October 4th and 5th...

VERY FRESH!!!! i didn't know anything was happening in newzealand on big skale.

loomit has been there a few times but these guys here are fresh!

Loomit has played a very big part in making us think big...I've had the honour of painting with him during his last two visits and man...he just shook up my whole way of thinking about graffiti..Also Daim and Seak offered good guidance two...Daim showed me that you should take your time to paint every work the best you can and Seak showed me how far you can let your style travel off on a tangent..So, the German influence has been big..

Daim showed me that you should take your time to paint every work the best you can

its good to see you guys spending a lot of time and effort making your productions insane. Cant say that for the legels in melbourne. that rose shop productions is goin bezzerk.

ive heard new zealand is full of gangs and shit, like the street violence is abundant there and its not really that safe. thats smomething i would have never thought. is it true they actually act like west coast american gangs?

^^

it would most likely be the maouris their fucking huge and are violent by nature and a 16 year old can look like a 20 year old. Not to say they would be the only people in the gangs in NZ but in australia there are quite a few islander gangs actually there are a hell of a lot of ethnic gangs and not that many white gangs.

A lot of gangs here are decked out in fubu, flannel shirts, colours and whatever is popular in america by black people. I say blame hip hop.

No disrespect to maouris i have met some nice ones and also been hit by some.

Archived