Attorney general John Ashcroft quits

Zack Morris

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3997987.stm

Attorney general quits US cabinet

Former US Attorney General John Ashcroft.

US Attorney General John Ashcroft has resigned from the Bush cabinet, the White House has announced.

Commerce Secretary Don Evans, a close Bush friend, has also quit his post.

They are the first departures from President Bush's cabinet since he was re-elected for another four-year term last Tuesday.

Mr Ashcroft, in a letter announcing his departure, said the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror had been achieved.

I believe that my energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging horizons

John Ashcroft

Who's in, who's out?

Correspondents in Washington say further cabinet changes are expected as President Bush prepares for his second term.

The BBC's Ian Pannell, in Washington, said neither announcement came as a surprise to Washington insiders.

'Objective achieved'

Mr Ashcroft, who has been a lightning-rod for criticism in the administration, wrote in a five-page handwritten letter to Mr Bush that "the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved".

"Yet I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration," said Mr Ashcroft.

Former Secretary for Commerce Don Evans. Archive picture

Evans is Bush's long-time friend from Texas

Meanwhile, Mr Evans wrote to the president that "while the promise of your second term shines bright, I have concluded with deep regret that it is time for me to return home".

Both Mr Ashcroft, 62, and Mr Evans, 58, have served in the Bush cabinet from the start of the administration in 2000.

Mr Ashcroft helped to lead the US fight against terror after the 11 September 2001 attacks.

He drew up the Patriot Act, which gave the FBI and other agencies powers to tap phones, access private medical and library records, track internet usage and detain immigrants.

The president has responded by saying that he appreciated their service.

There will now be a process of looking for replacements, with suggestions that the administration will be looking to make the appointments as soon as possible, our correspondent says.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by SteveAustin@Nov 10 2004, 10:06 AM

Mr Ashcroft, in a letter announcing his departure, said the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror had been achieved.

bua-ha-ha...what an idiot.

I don't exactly think so. I think he realized the mess he and bush have gotten us into and decided to run away before has to clean it up. Considering that one of the presidents major campaign issues was that of national security and the increases and precaustions we need to take I think it is safe to say that the security of the nation is not where it should be at. Especially considering the copious amounts of terrorosts good ole g.dub has inspired. Ashcroft is getting out of the kitchen before it gets to hot.

none the less though, good riddence.

i highly doubt this was ashcrofts decision. i think bush knew he had to let some people go as a 'good will' gesture to the nearly 50% of the population who think he's the devil. i'd be surprised if rumsfeld stays much longer as well. i suppose since reelection doesnt matter, its not as big of an issue, but still.... alot of the people who voted for bush did so on very shaky terms the republicans know it. if the morality issue had not arrisen, bush would have been crushed. this gives them a bit of leway to act a fool, but it doesnt give them all them an unbound leash (i just made that shit up, woot woot!).

whatever, the most striking thing about all of this, is after the last year and the rollercoaster of emotions, that upon hearing about this i couldnt muster more than a single word. had it come a month ago i would have written a thesis on it. now though? sheeeit. now all my faith and trust is in quiznos grilled subs.

i can't see how any of them would want to stay on. im amazed that powell is still in there. i figured he would be the first to go. he's really the only one in the cabinet with something to lose, since people (even dems) still have a lot of respect for him.

even if they actually believe in bush, he's allowed them all to be raked over the coals time and time again. being forced to take it in the ass has got to get old eventually.

There has been talk of Powell leaving and Condoleeza Rice replacing him as secretary of state.

As for taking ashcrofts place, it's going to be this gonzales guy whos getting some PR points for being the first hispanic in this position. However I can only assume he was some kind of fascist dictator in south america or something. I really don't know.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by dowmagik@Nov 10 2004, 07:45 AM

currently in oregon it's legal for a doctor to prescribe drugs for you that are intended for suicide. ashcroft's bitch ass is trying to have his overturned. hello asshole, we fucking VOTED to allow doctors to do this. im scared to see who takes his place.

On top of that the Surpreme Court ruled that it was a state issue that needed to be essentially experimented with to weed out any complications. He tried to use narcotics laws as a means to subvert the surpreme court...

I'm glad Ashcroft's incomptetent ass is gone, but his replacement is worse. I forgot his name, but he's the guy behind the whole Guantanamo Bay/Enemy Combatant/torture thing. Even worse, he used to work for Enron. At least the conformation hearing will be interetingl.

So from what I've read in the news Bush has already nominated Alberto Gonzalez for the job. This should be interesting......

After a little google searching I came up with this...

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?o...order=0&thold=0

Alberto Gonzales popping up on short lists for Supreme Court

Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON -- White House counsel Alberto Gonzales, a Texan and confidant of President Bush, is suddenly the focus of intense speculation that he will be Bush's choice to fill a Supreme Court vacancy when it arises.

Although there is no immediate opening, Bush's election victory and the illness of Chief Justice William Rehnquist have focused observers' attention on the near certainty of one or more openings in the next four years.

And Gonzales, 49, makes everyone's short list of Supreme Court prospects.

"We certainly think that he would be a wonderful pick for the president to make," said Brent Wilkes, executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens. "We would love to see a Hispanic on the Supreme Court."

Hispanic organizations are already mobilizing in support of what would be the first Latino appointment to the court.

"We hear his name first," said Jim Backlin, vice president of legislative affairs for the Christian Coalition. "We think he's probably going to be the one President Bush nominates."

Bush, asked at a news conference Thursday about filling Supreme Court slots, noted there's no vacancy, but added, "When I told the people on the campaign trail that I'll pick somebody who knows the difference between personal opinion and the strict interpretation of the law ... I meant what I said."

Gonzales, a San Antonio native, has been at Bush's side for years, as his general counsel when Bush was governor of Texas, then as Texas secretary of state and now as Bush's White House counsel. Gonzales also served on the Texas Supreme Court from 1999 to 2000.

"He would be welcomed warmly in the Senate," said Don Stewart, spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "He is an outstanding jurist. The president thinks enough of him to make him his own lawyer."

Gonzales may face opposition, but it's uncertain how much.

He has written controversial memos, including one that surfaced during the Abu Ghraib prison scandal that had said foreign detainees were not entitled to protections under the Geneva Conventions. Human rights groups said that legal interpretation contributed to the climate of abuse.

"There are definitely serious questions and troubling concerns that would be raised," said Elliot Mincberg, vice president and legal director of People for the American Way. "We and others would look at the memos. They raise serious questions about his views on constitutional liberties and human rights."

Gonzales also has connections to scandal-ridden energy giant Enron. He is a former partner in the Houston law firm Vinson and Elkins, which represented Enron.

He also received $6,500 in campaign contributions from the company when he ran for re-election to the Texas Supreme Court.

Gonzales did not respond to a request for an interview. It's unclear what effect such criticism might have on his nomination.

The son of migrant farm workers, Gonzales used to toil alongside his family, picking cotton. After a few years in the Air Force, he graduated from Rice University and went on to Harvard University Law School, getting his law degree in 1982.

"Judge Gonzalez would do an excellent job in any capacity," political consultant Ray Sullivan of Austin said.

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A9.

I never cared for Ashcroft, he reminded me of Al Haig. Good riddance. This new guy, Gonzales-whatever-his-name-is is a longtime political ally of President Bush. NO DOUBT, he's going to be a lot like Ashcroft in political viewpoint, but probably a lot more personable. So now it's "service with a smile," I guess.