Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Attorney general John Ashcroft quits

Discussion in 'News' started by Zack Morris, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3997987.stm

Attorney general quits US cabinet
    Former US Attorney General John Ashcroft.
    US Attorney General John Ashcroft has resigned from the Bush cabinet, the White House has announced.

Commerce Secretary Don Evans, a close Bush friend, has also quit his post.

They are the first departures from President Bush's cabinet since he was re-elected for another four-year term last Tuesday.

Mr Ashcroft, in a letter announcing his departure, said the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror had been achieved.

I believe that my energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging horizons
    John Ashcroft

Who's in, who's out?

Correspondents in Washington say further cabinet changes are expected as President Bush prepares for his second term.

The BBC's Ian Pannell, in Washington, said neither announcement came as a surprise to Washington insiders.

'Objective achieved'

Mr Ashcroft, who has been a lightning-rod for criticism in the administration, wrote in a five-page handwritten letter to Mr Bush that "the objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved".

"Yet I believe that the Department of Justice would be well served by new leadership and fresh inspiration," said Mr Ashcroft.

Former Secretary for Commerce Don Evans. Archive picture
    Evans is Bush's long-time friend from Texas

Meanwhile, Mr Evans wrote to the president that "while the promise of your second term shines bright, I have concluded with deep regret that it is time for me to return home".

Both Mr Ashcroft, 62, and Mr Evans, 58, have served in the Bush cabinet from the start of the administration in 2000.

Mr Ashcroft helped to lead the US fight against terror after the 11 September 2001 attacks.

He drew up the Patriot Act, which gave the FBI and other agencies powers to tap phones, access private medical and library records, track internet usage and detain immigrants.

The president has responded by saying that he appreciated their service.

There will now be a process of looking for replacements, with suggestions that the administration will be looking to make the appointments as soon as possible, our correspondent says.

2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

3. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

bua-ha-ha...what an idiot.

4. imported_dowmagik

imported_dowmagik Senior Member

currently in oregon it's legal for a doctor to prescribe drugs for you that are intended for suicide. ashcroft's bitch ass is trying to have his overturned. hello asshole, we fucking VOTED to allow doctors to do this. im scared to see who takes his place.

5. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

I don't exactly think so. I think he realized the mess he and bush have gotten us into and decided to run away before has to clean it up. Considering that one of the presidents major campaign issues was that of national security and the increases and precaustions we need to take I think it is safe to say that the security of the nation is not where it should be at. Especially considering the copious amounts of terrorosts good ole g.dub has inspired. Ashcroft is getting out of the kitchen before it gets to hot.

none the less though, good riddence.

6. metallix

metallix Elite Member

[​IMG]

what do these people think?

7. metallix

metallix Elite Member

8. metallix

metallix Elite Member

9. kaesthebluntedwonder

kaesthebluntedwonder Elite Member

he must be exhausted from detroying civil liberties.

10. im not witty

im not witty Guest

theres alot of "rumsFAILED" stencils around this way.

11. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i highly doubt this was ashcrofts decision. i think bush knew he had to let some people go as a 'good will' gesture to the nearly 50% of the population who think he's the devil. i'd be surprised if rumsfeld stays much longer as well. i suppose since reelection doesnt matter, its not as big of an issue, but still.... alot of the people who voted for bush did so on very shaky terms the republicans know it. if the morality issue had not arrisen, bush would have been crushed. this gives them a bit of leway to act a fool, but it doesnt give them all them an unbound leash (i just made that shit up, woot woot!).

whatever, the most striking thing about all of this, is after the last year and the rollercoaster of emotions, that upon hearing about this i couldnt muster more than a single word. had it come a month ago i would have written a thesis on it. now though? sheeeit. now all my faith and trust is in quiznos grilled subs.

12. 23578

23578 Elite Member

it's got to be a good thing. if only the patriot acts 1&2 went with him. alas, i have little faith in a bush appointment of someone with a conscience judging from track records.

13. justaname

justaname Member

i heard that gondolezza rice going to quit too

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i can't see how any of them would want to stay on. im amazed that powell is still in there. i figured he would be the first to go. he's really the only one in the cabinet with something to lose, since people (even dems) still have a lot of respect for him.

even if they actually believe in bush, he's allowed them all to be raked over the coals time and time again. being forced to take it in the ass has got to get old eventually.