attn: computer savy people

Guest kidlugz

Guest kidlugz

So I've got a Linksys router and it's preventing me from using any bit torrents and from sending files over messenger. I've heard some people talk about opening certain ports through the forwarding function but it seems too complex. Is there an easy way to disable a portion of this firewall so i can get back to ganking software and music? Please help.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

uhm dude yeah its not your router.......

so you cant use bit torrent?

well its your firewall i think, disconnect your fire wall and im me and i will help you set it up..

There isnt really any easier way i know of. I have a dlink and I had to go to the router homepage (its usually its http://192.168.1.1/ or sometimes this http://192.168.1.0/ or something like that. should be in your outer instruction books) then you have log in like someone said and manually set the ports. Setting the ports is easy enough heres something from a web page I found

Access your Linksys Firewall Router's web admin page, according to the instructions in the manual for your router. You will probably need to enter a password. At the top of the web page there is a series of navigational links, and you want the one that says "Advanced". From there, move on to "Forwarding". Find an empty row in the form on that page, and fill in the name ("BitTorrent"), the port range (6881 to 6889), check the TCP box, and set the IP address to the one that your computer is. Check the Enable box then click the Apply button to save the changes.

That's good advice as well. Sometimes the programs I use will use a different port every time they're going to use a connection.... and that makes it a little difficult to make port forwarding ruleset, but if you only need forwarded ports for two or three things, or more, you shouldn't have any problems doing what Mes said.... I'm lazy, I just like to set the DMZ host to my IP.