attention cyclists: question about drop-outs

Guest kidlugz

Guest kidlugz

i'm currently riding an old fuji road frame that i converted to a fixed-gear. i've been running a front brake on it but haven't bothered maintaining it(the brake, not the bike), so it barely works anymore. basically i'm wondering if it is insanely dangerous to ride a bike with vertical drop-outs and no brake? is there a chance the force from locking up could jettison my back wheel and send me to my ass(or into the bumber of the car ahead of me)? or is this a sturdy set up(all logic points to no here, but i'm a risk taker)?

thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by kidlugz

i'm currently riding an old fuji road frame that i converted to a fixed-gear. i've been running a front brake on it but haven't bothered maintaining it, so it barely works anymore. basically i'm wondering if it is insanely dangerous to ride a bike with vertical drop-outs and no brake? is there a chance the force from locking up could jettison my back wheel and send me to my ass(or into the bumber of the car ahead of me)? or is this a sturdy set up(all logic points to no here, but i'm a risk taker)?

thanks.

you're fine. everyone seems to be riding with drop-outs w/o brakes these days. just make sure that you maintain your chain.

just make sure the chain on your bike is tight enough so it wont pop out on you. other than that you're going to be okay.

i miss riding my fixie. i dont have a wheel set and i have this cruiser that is spoiling me silly.

Guest kidlugz

thanks devilush. a cruiser is the next bike on my "to buy" list. right after i find a nice track frame and upgrade to a road bike that actually fits me.

let me just re-iterate here...i'm asking if riding brakeless with vertical drop-outs as opposed to normal track drop-outs is dangerous. not whether riding brakeless is dangerous.

It was the fad in bmx (and still is)... I remember before people thought it was cool to ride brakeless. Now every little kid with a protec and a new bike takes their brakes off and sprays their bike flat black.

Riding brakeless isn't necessarily dangerous in itself (or opposed to any other way of riding)... but you must be more alert. Like it's not a good idea if you like to get stonered and then ride.

Summary:get brakes... because it's a good idea, and make sure they are properly adjusted. A glass cleaner called Simple Green is great for making your brake pads "stick" to your rim (adds +4 to your stopping power).

Originally posted by kidlugz

thanks devilush. a cruiser is the next bike on my "to buy" list. right after i find a nice track frame and upgrade to a road bike that actually fits me.

yea once i save enough money, i'm going to get a track frame custom made since i am such a midget and i cant find anything my size.

"Riding brakeless isn't necessarily dangerous in itself (or opposed to any other way of riding)... but you must be more alert. Like it's not a good idea if you like to get stonered and then ride. "

i've learned to determine what people would do before they do them. thats how i ride. think ahead. thats what most people do....well my friends for that matter...so getting stoned and or high and or drunk makes a difference in your riding but not really.

Guest kidlugz

that's the good thing about riding fixed.....you have to pay attention. i see commuters all the time riding along looking in the opposite direction and riding iches away from parked cars. sometimes i just ride behind these guys waiting for a door to smoke them. morons.

i ride fucked up all the time though. i know it's a bad idea but it's just too much fun.

dlush,

but are they riding vertical drop outs?

every fixie ive ever seen has had horizontals, so even if it locks up or something, the wheel isnt going to fall off.

granted, my experience is limited with the whole thing, but physics would lead me to believe that there have been better ideas formulated....like the 'cape' for instance.

still very popular with writers and goth's alike.

seeks/memory like an elephant

can you do it? yes

is it safe? no

does everyone do it anyway? yes

if you can't maintain a front break, i question your ability to keep your back wheel set properly and check it frequently to make sure your shit doesn't slip out. also, the rear triangle on those "fixie conversions" isn't set up for that type of strain and torque, there's a reason track frames are set up the way they are. that said, i don't know anyone personally that's had an accident specifically because of riding a bike like that. so....take it for what it's worth and take your chances if you want, most likely you'll probably be fine but i guess it depends on what kind of riding you're doing and how much.

good luck

upgrade to a proper track frame when you get the chance

Originally posted by 48:16

if you can't maintain a front break, i question your ability to keep your back wheel set properly and check it frequently to make sure your shit doesn't slip out. also, the rear triangle on those "fixie conversions" isn't set up for that type of strain and torque, there's a reason track frames are set up the way they are. that said, i don't know anyone personally that's had an accident specifically because of riding a bike like that. so....take it for what it's worth and take your chances if you want, most likely you'll probably be fine but i guess it depends on what kind of riding you're doing and how much.

^^^pretty much....

i do know somebody who has busted ass with vertical drop outs. the nature of the wreck wasn't pretty, as you might imagine from a wheel actually coming off a bike. i wouldn't rock a fixed gear with vertical drop outs at all. what you need to realize is that you run the risk of popping out not only from "braking" but accelerating as well... maybe a broken frame or a broken ass too. also, keep up the front brake. forget about a rear, front is most of your stopping power. i trust you've figured out how to use it right without going over the bars. get a new frame or get some gears... don't get me wrong, i ride the track bike all the time, but i also enjoy my racing bike. what's wrong with gears these days?

Definitely check the chain. I had a chain issue that sent me flying over the handlebars when I was accelerating (trying to lose a security cop). I nearly did a complete flip....hurt like hell. I still remember one of my friends looking down at me saying..."********, I know your fucked up...but we have to get out of here...grab your bike and run."

edit:

48:16 and tearz pretty much said it all. I have yet to see anyone run fixie with verticals. I have a couple extra frames with horizontals...what size are you? The frames aren't any thing spectacular.

Originally posted by seeking

dlush,

but are they riding vertical drop outs?

every fixie ive ever seen has had horizontals, so even if it locks up or something, the wheel isnt going to fall off.

yep i've seen plenty of vertical drop outs. everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry scenster here in sf seems to be into track bikes but not know how to ride it. so they look like goons.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

I have a couple extra frames with horizontals...what size are you? The frames aren't any thing spectacular.

i've been trying to put together a bike for a couple years. you and i are about the same size i believe, so if you wanna swing one of those frames my way, lemme know whats up.

i ride a converted peugeot

this talk about 'vertical' vs 'horizontal' dropouts is a bit above my technical knowledge.

but just from looking at a side view of the bike, the dropouts are pointed diagonally..

my mechanic has noted several times that the frame was not built to withstand the pressure i'm putting on it by not having any brakes and riding it fixie..

so far, knock on some shit, i haven't lost my wheel.

and the frame is still in one piece..

i ride the bike pretty hard...down steps, off curbs, offroad etc..

i have to most ghetto rigged fixed gears ever and i never had problems with them in any way so go for whatever your trying. my one bike i always ride i worked on for a solid year the rear wheel i had the cogg JB welded on with no lock ring and never had any problems wiht it and the chain line was all whatever and i never checked my chain tension

some tipps

flip your chain ring to the inside DUHHHH

and use the truck diesel BMX chains the kink mega chain its heavier i think it sits on the gears better and dosent flop around as much so it wont come of when you hit bumps and shit

i dont nkow if this helped at al but whatever

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by seeking

i've been trying to put together a bike for a couple years. you and i are about the same size i believe, so if you wanna swing one of those frames my way, lemme know whats up.

that pink huffy 2631 speed is still sittin outside beardos old apartment.

the fucking trash men wont even take it.

holler if you want me to scoop it.

;)

I remember figuring out what size you needed...I just don't remember what it was. For some reason I think you needed a little big bigger frame than what I have. A couple of us are going out looking for dumpster treasures in a week or so...I'll keep an eye out...unless you don't mind a frame thats a bit on the small side. Aren't you around 6'?

i wanta brand new spiffy fixie..my beaters on my last nerve i need a new seat bars cranks wheel and got none. on a side note just today on the way to the yard i hit some bushes and only had one hand free, other hand on the forty, and damn near flipped and almost wrecked the family jewels.

ima chump out and just make my beater a wanna be fixie with one gear and two brakes. i like brakes. but i practice peddling backwards every time i come to a stop and can hold my balance ok.

i really want a large bmx frame and a full size lowrider cruiser, my mountian bike and full size lowrider both got stolen and now i got some art fag beater that needs all that shit.

fuck. off topic like a motherfucker.

Originally posted by AREANKAY

i have to most ghetto rigged fixed gears ever and i never had problems with them in any way so go for whatever your trying. my one bike i always ride i worked on for a solid year the rear wheel i had the cogg JB welded on with no lock ring and never had any problems wiht it and the chain line was all whatever and i never checked my chain tension

some tipps

flip your chain ring to the inside DUHHHH

and use the truck diesel BMX chains the kink mega chain its heavier i think it sits on the gears better and dosent flop around as much so it wont come of when you hit bumps and shit

i dont nkow if this helped at al but whatever

damn...dude. your bike sounds like a death trap. good luck and i hope you have insurance.

listening to this guy is like listening to that kid you paint with that's always saying, "naw man, it's cool, let's just do it...no really, it's cool"