ATHLETES & GREED

REGULATOR

does is piss you off when over paid basketball players and shit COMPLAIN that they arent getting paid enough!?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK!!!! they are doing something they like and make 10X more than we make doing something we dont like!...how could anyone be so ignorant as to demand more money!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest blood as ink

i lost all intrest in sports(minus hockey...and sometimes playing drunken basketball at 3am) when the baseball strike happend(like 93 or 94)...they were complaining about how they didn't make enough.fuck a whole bunch of that! my dad at the time was going through hard times.lost his job do to a lay off..spent 8 months unemployed...he looked for a job everyday...he couldn't pay his bills,barely feed the family...he has strong backrounds in many different fields and went to college...worked his ass off and still didn't make enough to survive...at that time it clicked that some of the players will make more money a year then my dad will in a lifetime and they're complaining that they don't make enough?

it didn't make sense to me and still doesn't...how can someone that does things that actully help people get payed less...then someone who just entertain's people...same goes for moviestars etc etc.

but then again i can see why they never have money...with buying fancy cars and house's that are so big have the rooms are useless.

Guest blood as ink
Originally posted by Smart

don't hate the playa, hate the game...

exact oopisite!...are you gonna say that to abunch of little kids playing baseball and having innocent fun?...fuck that...hate the corperations that create all the money and greed...sell the products for over priced amounts of money...over priced tickets to sit in a shitty uncomfortable seat for 3 hours...they're the people that make things wrong...they put a pricetag on everything and can't wait to boost up the prices and sell out.

but then again people do conform to them...fuckin' robots.

It's greed but it's not at the same time.(I know that doesn't sound right) But, Take Alex Rodriguez(baseball) for example. 10yr(?) contract 250,000,000, a private jet, and no matter what, has to be paid the most in sports . Fuck it. If they're willing to pay it wouldn't you try to get as much as you could? I would***

Don't hate the Playa, Hate the game

You kids have some serious thought impediments...

let's assume you work for a company of less than 150 people. The primary reasons for the companies success depends DIRECTLY on the performance of you and 24 others (i.e. the players). This business generates revenues in the BILLIONS of dollars. This revenue is the property of the CEO (Owner) until it is disbursed, in the form of paychecks, to yourself and the other workers, so...

Let's just assume that each game earns $100,000 in revenues. Let's also assume that it costs $25,000 to promote and play the game. Now, the owner decides he's gonna pay each of the players $500 a game and everyone else gets $100 a game... so that's $12,500 for the players and $12,500 for the workers. Plus the cost of promotion totals $50,000 leaving $50,000 PROFIT for the owners after every game.

What percentage of the owner's wage ($50,000 per game) is the player's wage ($500 per game)?

Is that fair and equitable?

Does it become more or less fair if you add another zero at the end of all my numbers?

Guest platapie

but if it were you and yo unew you could be getting paid more. im pretty sure you would wear huge fur coats and funny hats and be saying stuff like. foo you dont no how hard dis is. its ruff earnin mor e$ in a year then you will in a lifetime. now on the other hand fuck them i wannna see them makin 100 gs a year( thats still good) and the rest of the $ doin sumthing constructive. but i no who has tha dollas and it aint me so. big ups to da ballahs.

and another reason alot of you kids are SUKKAS! is that you keep talking about "more money than you'll make in a lifetime". That's some loser talk. You already quit the race, so it would not surprise me if a majority of people will be more prosperous than you.

You need to quit whining and take a tip from Tease. Stop bitching about difference in your worth as compared to athletes/singers/moviestars and start taking steps to close that gap by improving yourself. You know, the super-rich CEO's of the world are far more abundant, and far wealthier, than most sports stars.

the super-rich CEO's of the world are far more abundant, and far wealthier, than most sports stars.

well that is for the most part true.......the principal is essentially different : CEO's work long and hard for years to get where they are ,from the entry level postion all the way to the top , and once they are there they need to make tough desicions that would make or break their company .

Athletes , (ball players specifically) on the other hand have only to play a GAME that they love from highschool to college to the pro's , its the same game, while making 10x what the average person makes.....and in terms of working hours , the average ball player plays only 20 - 30 minutes per game , and maybe 3 or 4 games per week. so say he puts in 2 or 3 hours of work in a whole week , while the CEO probably works 12-14 hour DAYS . also the players job is to put the ball in the hoop , and try to keep the other team from doing so , a very simple job description , the CEO's on the other hand is far far more complex .

oh, I see, the pro athletes quest for success is somehow lessened by the fact that they had to give a significant portion of their childhood over to practice and training, while simeltaneously trying to maintain good grades in school and have a social life. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to stay in condition to play any sport at the pro level. I also don't hear of many CEOs with chronic arthritis or blown knees due to heavy action in the boardroom...

Originally posted by ASER1NE

also the players job is to put the ball in the hoop , and try to keep the other team from doing so , a very simple job description , the CEO's on the other hand is far far more complex .

uh no, that's an unfair simplification of an athletes role, unless you also say that a CEOs job description is merely to run a company

I say the fault lies with everyone who is willing to go pay $50-100 to see a game. If we weren't willing to pay the high prices the costs would go down.

But beyond that some of ya'll are just jealous that these guys have a talent that is marketable. As for CEO's working harder, yeah maybe, but when the CEO is sitting down for a high fat, alcohol laden lunch the athlete is eating health food and working out like a mofo to keep himself in the game. Also the CEO has a long period of working time available to him, the average athlete has a short window to make their money before they are too old, etc.

Oh yeah, and I am the worst sports fan ever. Very few sports will I play and even fewer that I will watch.

oh, I see, the pro athletes quest for success is somehow lessened by the fact that they had to give a significant portion of their childhood over to practice and training, while simeltaneously trying to maintain good grades in school and have a social life.

thats exactly what im saying , it NOT like that for alot of athletes , a good portion of the NBA players grew up in the pj's, and played bball for FUN , its just what you do......thus the portion of their childhood devoted to practice is volentary and thoroughly enjoyed . while the ceo's route is far less enjoyable , and far more difficult .

that "unfair simplification" was said so on purpose , essentially those are the component parts of the nba athlete , simplified thats 2 responsibities ...........while the ceo simply put "merely runs the company" which broken into its component parts is by far the more complex .

my points were that and that alone .

I have mixed feelings. And it was hard not to dismiss the baseball strikers as overpaid crybabies.

But Smart's financial analysis is sound. Also, pro sports players have a much shorter career than CEOs can and much less of a chance to fall back on a marketable skill once they're done in the arena, so they need to rack up a lifetime's worth of pay early in the going. (How many pro players over 40 are still active? Yet that's young for a CEO. Ex-players retire 25 years or more ahead of most other employed people, and still have to pay the bills, so why not bargain for everything you can get in your prime?)

I agree also about the fans' willingness to shell out for tickets. Sports tickets got too pricey for me back in the 80's, and I don't attend sports events without a hookup. But enough fans are showing up at today's prices, because it's what the market will bear.

ASER1NE, what makes you think CEOs don't enjoy their work as much as, or more, than sports players? One thing I've heard repeated INCESSANTLY by highly successful people in ALL fields is "Find something you love to do and do that to the best of your ability.". So what if that's putting a ball in a hoop or improving market saturation in the northeast?

i think my point has become clouded , it was initially simply that while i maintain that ceo's are far wealthier and abundant........i wanted to point out that ball players reach thier wealth much easier ..........

i didnt say that ceo's dont enjoy thier work , and if they do then all the power to them , i think being a ceo would be too much work / responsibility..............but if the shoe fits wear it .

Archived