atheism.

zorak

i'm sure it's been done before but i like nothing more than beating a dead horse.

i'm sure you atheists out there have gotten in the inevitable conversation about how you are going to hell, blah, blah, blah. some people don't understand that if you don't believe in something, you are not afraid of it. and then there are the tolerent religious types which let you believe what ever you want, they know not to even try. i give these people a gold star for not butting into my business.

i tried to make an arguement once. i asked the person if they believed in either santa claus or the easter bunny, which they honestly answered "no". i tried to explain to them that my view of god was like their view of santa claus and the easter bunny. i didn't think i could have made a more crystal clear reference, but the person didn't get it. they couldn't grasp the fact that i didn't believe that a creature created the earth with two perfect people and that all of man kind sprang forth from these two perfect people. ninja please.

anyway... what are some of your thoughts on the matter.

"Sometimes i wonder about the Creator of the Universe". Kurt Vonnegut. Breakfast of Champions.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

I like to think that everything is relative.

What's a 'sin' for one culture may not be for another.

Just like what passes as 'food' for one group may be called a 'pet' by another.

It's all about the personal beliefs that society sets up for up.

a classic quote...

"Dont try to guilt trip me, I'm not a Catholic."

Guest COMBUSTIBLE
Originally posted by --zeSto--

I like to think that everything is relative.

What's a 'sin' for one culture may not be for another.

Just like what passes as 'food' for one group may be called a 'pet' by another.

It's all about the personal beliefs that society sets up for up.

a classic quote...

"Dont try to guilt trip me, I'm not a Catholic."

Word. Another quote that applies:

"Sin all depends on what you believin' in; faith is what you make it, that's the hardest shit since mc ren."

--Andre Benjamin, OutKast, 'Aquemini'

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

to tell you the truth, id like to be able to believe in god. its nice to think of death not being so......final.

however, theres no way i can rationalize it to myself, its just completely unbelievable, to me at least.

Believing in God does not mean believing in an afterlife, and vice versa.

I believe in God, yet I have almost no doubt there is no afterlife whatsoever. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--

a huge deal is "So what's this afterlife about anyways?'

Obviously the catholics will think it's sitting on a cloud near God and the Jesus Potato.

The visions of an afterlife are as different as the religions themselves.

I like to think that I could come back as an older, wiser soul.

Guest willy.wonka

for some reason i have met a lot of athiests that believe in the devil...but not in god?

athiest can go as far as the big bang theory and then they get stuck...i like to tell athiests that "somebody had to stick thier finger in the pond to start the ripple."

Guest Dr. Drew

i'm totally agnostic. i can't wait until i see what the surprise is after this life. there is in fact energy in my brain that will leave when my body stops working. that's my soul. some say it manifests itself to all of my surroundings. some say it goes somewhere as a whole entity. i believe in a god. she is probobly laughing at all of us, and is genuinely entertained by our stupidity. i also know that the bible and jesus anda ll of that is basically full of shit

Guest imported_El Mamerro

"somebody had to stick thier finger in the pond to start the ripple."

What if the pond moved into the finger?

Good one, Zesto.

But regardless, there's still a finger responsible. Beer,

El Mamerro

i think one of my favorite atheistic quotes is from seinfeld. yes i am a television whore.

george goes to therapy and blames god for all of his problems. god has it out to get george. the therapist says to george, "i thought you don't believe in god"

to which george replies, "i do for all the bad things".

the whole notion that we dumb humans could ever preceive whatever else is out there is ludicrous. to choose to believe any man made notion regarding spiritual existance, you are simply being missled to an easy answer. the answer to a question that is impossible to respond to. pretty deep, huh?

friday is a long day for someone with nothing to think about.

problem with the first cause argument:

who created the finger? every cause needs a preceeding cause. if there was somthing that always existed, then why cant it be the universe?

I'm not throwing any quotes in, cause I quote him to death in every atheist post on here but.....go read bertrand russell (atheists, and non atheists alike). Smart man, and his views on the subject are more or less how I feel.

Originally posted by zorak

i'm sure it's been done before but i like nothing more than beating a dead horse.

i'm sure you atheists out there have gotten in the inevitable conversation about how you are going to hell, blah, blah, blah. some people don't understand that if you don't believe in something, you are not afraid of it. and then there are the tolerent religious types which let you believe what ever you want, they know not to even try. i give these people a gold star for not butting into my business.

i tried to make an arguement once. i asked the person if they believed in either santa claus or the easter bunny, which they honestly answered "no". i tried to explain to them that my view of god was like their view of santa claus and the easter bunny. i didn't think i could have made a more crystal clear reference, but the person didn't get it. they couldn't grasp the fact that i didn't believe that a creature created the earth with two perfect people and that all of man kind sprang forth from these two perfect people. ninja please.

anyway... what are some of your thoughts on the matter.

"Sometimes i wonder about the Creator of the Universe". Kurt Vonnegut. Breakfast of Champions.

im an atheist. i got expelled from private school for saying i dont believe in god on the first day of my freshman year.

I dislike this thread a lot. Not because i dislike atheists. Atheists are cool. But for some reason you think that just because i beleive in god i beleive in hell and sin and all that shit. I beleive in evolution, god just helped it along. God loves everyone, even you. Yeah and you cant really prove there is or isnt god but i choose to beleive there is one.

well, i took that little quiz, zesto... and it NAILED my beliefs... i'm pretty impressed. i've been a mahayana buddhist for 7 years, and guess what it says. mahayanna buddhist 100%. you people should take that thing. very interesting. hm. tired and sleepy... going to bed. will elaborate later today. adios.

ps: athiests/antichristians are the most serious believers of god. because to disprove a god, you must believe it exists, first.

Originally posted by binaryheresy

ps: athiests/antichristians are the most serious believers of god. because to disprove a god, you must believe it exists, first.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-44777/kramer5.jpg'>

"you just blew my mind!"

ninja please. i will use my original example to keep this simple. do you believe in santa claus? no? but you must believe he exists if you say he doesn't.

what? that doesn't make any sense, and neither does your arguement.

Ehhh...don't get me started.

I should mention however that an atheist DENIES there is a god - actively believes there is NO god.

An agnostic is more of an abstainer from religion: he doesn't know what the deal is, and perhaps doesn't care. I personally don't know whether there's a god, and I don't find the issue relevant to my life. I don't need to know to have a direction, like most people. I find the major religions' depictions of god to be primitive, shallow, obviously made up by humans. (If it turns out there really is a Christian, Santa Claus-style god, I'm gonna laugh my ass off all the way to hell.)

Any concept of a Creator must begin with his incomprehensibility to humans. He would transcend gender, intelligence, time, morals, everything, especially the pronoun "he". So there's no point in talking about...him.

Is there a god? I don't care. What I do know is there's a life to live - mine - and I'm chugging that shit down like a cold iced tea on a hot day by the train tracks.

Guest willy.wonka

ATTACK OF THE ALIEN NIGHTOWL

i just think there is too much intelligence spread around this universe that there has to be an intelligent "thing/God"...what are we building for?where are these ideas comin from?for humans to sit around and create a god, just proves to me that there has to be one..to be able to look upon the sky and figure out how this all started from the big bang to evolution...everything is so simple to perfection.its simple..einstien said you would have to be a fool notto believe....im just not going to be a fool.

Guest willy.wonka

"somebody had to stick thier finger in the pond to start the ripple."

What if the pond moved into the finger?

what if the pond was the finger to stick the finger in the ripple?

fuck....I knew I'd end up quoting him anyways....

The usual argument of religious people on this subject is roughly as follows: "I and my friends are persons of amazing intelligence and virtue. It is hardly conceivable that so much intelligence and virtue could have come about by chance. There must, therefore, be someone at least as intelligent and virtuous as we are who set the cosmic machinery in motion with a view to producing Us." I am sorry to say that I do not find this argument so impressive as it is found by those who use it. The universe is large; yet, if we are to believe Eddington, there are probably nowhere else in the universe beings as intelligent as men. If you consider the total amount of matter in the world and compare it with the amount forming the bodies of intelligent beings, you will see that the latter bears an almost infinitesimal proportion to the former. Consequently, even if it is enormously improbable that the laws of chance will produce an organism capable of intelligence out of a casual selection of atoms, it is nevertheless probable that there will be in the universe that very small number of such organisms that we do in fact find.

Then again, considered as the climax to such a vast process, we do not really seem to me sufficiently marvelous. Of course, I am aware that many divines are far more marvelous than I am, and that I cannot wholly appreciate merits so far transcending my own. Nevertheless, even after making allowances under this head, I cannot but think that Omnipotence operating through all eternity might have produced something better. And then we have to reflect that even this result is only a flash in the pan. The earth will not always remain habitable; the human race will die out, and if the cosmic process is to justify itself hereafter it will have to do so elsewhere than on the surface of our planet.. And even if this should occur, it must stop sooner or later. The second law of thermodynamics makes it scarcely possible to doubt that the universe is running down, and that ultimately nothing of the slightest interest will be possible anywhere. Of course, it is open to us to say that when that time comes God will wind up the machinery again; but if we do not say this, we can base our assertion only upon faith, not upon one shred of scientific evidence. So far as scientific evidence goes, the universe has crawled by slow stages to a somewhat pitiful result on this earth and is going to crawl by still more pitiful stages to a condition of universal death. If this is to be taken as evidence of a purpose, I can only say that the purpose is one that does not appeal to me. I see no reason, therefore, to believe in any sort of God, however vague and however attenuated. I leave on one side the old metaphysical arguments, since religious apologists themselves have thrown them over.

bertrand russell

Originally posted by zorak

i didn't believe that a creature created the earth with two perfect people and that all of man kind sprang forth from these two perfect people.

well, technically adam and eve werent perfect, they ate the "forbidden fruit" but whatever i get your point none the less,

you believe what you want to believe, its your choice, if youre wrong, oh well, if your right, well ok.

Archived