Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Ask a Train Nerd!

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by Ski Mask, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

well...things have been worked out at http://www.jumex.org/~nbf/ and everythings up and running again....so its time to get back to work.
    One of the new things I'm trying to get going on the site is called "Ask a Train Nerd", a little Q&A about freights. Heres the explanation from http://www.jumex.org/~nbf/askanerd.html :

"Thats right, this is your chance to have whatever obscure train related question thats been bugging you answered by a real live train nerd. As this site is not a democracy, but a small little dictatorship, the train nerd will answer whatever questions he damn well likes. If you ask somthing stupid you may get no response, but if its basic it may still be answered to help out the beginners. We try to strike a delecate balance on this site, trying to inform and help newcommers, but without taking away all the fun and satisfaction of learning yourself. this section is really for the very basic questions, and the really obscure ones, so keep that in mind when asking. The place to send your questions to is:
    askatrainnerd@hotmail.com
    This wont be done on a fixed basis. I may answer a question every day, or go a week or two without answering. It all depends on the questions I get, and the free time I have. So fire away with the questions and lets get the ball rolling...."

I'd also like to solicit questions from the board...being that most of you visit my site. Ask away in this thread and I'll see what I can do about answering some good questions and getting it all up on my site.

Sorry for the site promo on the forum...but I think in the end it will help here too. Feel free to use this topic for any suggestions about my site, comments, criticisms, ideas, etc.

2. Boring Bastard

Boring Bastard Elite Member

Thanks a lot man....... some kids will love that I'm sure......
    ESE is holding it down holmes!!

3. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

When was the last time a train nerd got laid?

4. ese/cracked... i got a train on bad order, but on top of that it also came back... doors/hopper/box. whats that mean if you know? any help/answers is appreciated.

5. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

If you could paste the results into an email and send it to me I might be able to tell you. I need a little context...

6. Average White Railfan

Average White Railfan Senior Member

Last Night :)

7. cracked ass

cracked ass Guest

Not sure bigmetal, but "bad order" doesn't always mean the car is not allowed to move. On the bad order ticket there is usually a spot labeled "movement restrictions", and the inspector will write them in if necessary. The last one I read closely said "--------- Junction only" meaning it could be moved around that junction/yard and get switched, but not shipped anywhere. Maybe you got some unusually loose movement restrictions - a problem that needed fixing before the car could be interchanged with another railroad, for example, and it got most of the way to the interchange before getting bad ordered, and that railroad sent it back because the shop is closer to you.
    As ese said I wouldn't know for sure without more details but that's one scenario.

8. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

*bump* cause its up and running with 2 questions so far.

9. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

delicate...d.e.l.i.c.a.t.e... delicate

10. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

quit moving in on theLAW's turf! although he's more preocupied with grammar, than spelling.

11. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Ironically, he titled his thread "Spelling Laws", or whatever, but it had Spelling in it...