Ask a Train Nerd!

Ski Mask

well...things have been worked out at http://www.jumex.org/~nbf/ and everythings up and running again....so its time to get back to work.

One of the new things I'm trying to get going on the site is called "Ask a Train Nerd", a little Q&A about freights. Heres the explanation from http://www.jumex.org/~nbf/askanerd.html :

"Thats right, this is your chance to have whatever obscure train related question thats been bugging you answered by a real live train nerd. As this site is not a democracy, but a small little dictatorship, the train nerd will answer whatever questions he damn well likes. If you ask somthing stupid you may get no response, but if its basic it may still be answered to help out the beginners. We try to strike a delecate balance on this site, trying to inform and help newcommers, but without taking away all the fun and satisfaction of learning yourself. this section is really for the very basic questions, and the really obscure ones, so keep that in mind when asking. The place to send your questions to is:

askatrainnerd@hotmail.com

This wont be done on a fixed basis. I may answer a question every day, or go a week or two without answering. It all depends on the questions I get, and the free time I have. So fire away with the questions and lets get the ball rolling...."

I'd also like to solicit questions from the board...being that most of you visit my site. Ask away in this thread and I'll see what I can do about answering some good questions and getting it all up on my site.

Sorry for the site promo on the forum...but I think in the end it will help here too. Feel free to use this topic for any suggestions about my site, comments, criticisms, ideas, etc.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

ese/cracked... i got a train on bad order, but on top of that it also came back... doors/hopper/box. whats that mean if you know? any help/answers is appreciated.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

ese/cracked... i got a train on bad order, but on top of that it also came back... doors/hopper/box. whats that mean if you know? any help/answers is appreciated.

If you could paste the results into an email and send it to me I might be able to tell you. I need a little context...

Guest cracked ass

Not sure bigmetal, but "bad order" doesn't always mean the car is not allowed to move. On the bad order ticket there is usually a spot labeled "movement restrictions", and the inspector will write them in if necessary. The last one I read closely said "--------- Junction only" meaning it could be moved around that junction/yard and get switched, but not shipped anywhere. Maybe you got some unusually loose movement restrictions - a problem that needed fixing before the car could be interchanged with another railroad, for example, and it got most of the way to the interchange before getting bad ordered, and that railroad sent it back because the shop is closer to you.

As ese said I wouldn't know for sure without more details but that's one scenario.

Archived