Ask A Straight Dude...

bodice_ripper

yo. out of the blue I have the opportunity to get a new(er) car. I don't know what to get. Now, I should mention that being in Ireland, the cars are WAAAY steeper than in the US. I may as well outline the realistic options:

I drove a Fiat Punto. I don't want another Fiat.

Honda Civic (I'd rather avoid it because the insurance is high because it is largely drivin by moron boy racers)

VW Golf or Polo

Rover 200 <---- I like these, but don't know lots about them

Ford fiesta (meh....)

Toyota Corolla

talk to me people....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Its a good thing you dont want a fiat anymore, not only they suck but they're not safe at all.

Important question: are you buying new or used?

The new polo is nice and the Golf is a steady guarantee, still i think VW's are way overated. If i was in your shoes i'd go for either the Honda or the Toyota mostly for the reason that you get a 7 year full guarantee and most importantly, you wont have to use it...only asians can guarantee that, your car wont need a single thing besides the scheduled service for atleast 5 years when you can sell it and get a new one. Thats a good deal imo.

Rovers are good looking but not very reliable. I drove a fiesta for 2 months this summer, the car is fuckin stupid, heavy, slow and retarted.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a good value=quality=reliability car go for the civic or corolla, if you're looking for a euro fly car go for this:

alfa147.jpg

Alfa 147 oooffah

Guest imported_Tesseract

Ok, since you're buying used scratch Rover and Fiesta off your list at once (unless you score a superduper deal) I still lean in favor of the toyota and honda but only if they're not very old. VW's have always been good cars to buy second hand. Get the previous Golf, it even looks better than the new one.

Guest imported_Tesseract

you americans are so hyped with golfs, its ridiculous. Its like euros with wrangler jeeps, nothing special to you, all the rage to us.

a jeep wrangler...wow. what's a fiat? never heard of it. i would say hondo or toyota mostly based on the fact that they are easily repaired and cost less to repair in the long run but that's here in the u.s. of a, dont know about over there yonder, but a toyota or a honda will last you ages, that's just the facts, i dont like vw's too expensive to fix adn their motors are backwards.

yeah, toyota's or honda's will last for a long ass time, and the resale value stays good for a while too. i'm gonna cop the 2005 Nocar, v6, it's an invisible car that doesn't exist, so you don't have to pay for it even, or put gas into it, not worry about parking tickets and repair costs, or worry about it getting stolen.

on a side note, boddice, since your from ireland, do you like the frames? i saw them last night and they were awesome.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Haha, well to be honest unless you're REALLY into cars, and i mean that you wanna be all involved in modifying the car and drive it like a maniac, you dont see much of a difference. If its relatively new and you dont plan to keep it more than 5-6 years its all good, so theres no reason not to buy a pretty one aswell...just avoid fords and fuckin fiats in that category

well, I'd like to get more involved in modifying it, only I can't afford it. But generally speaking, I'd like to get a decent car this time around and have a better grasp of it's inner workings.

I do spend crazy amounts of time driving, and I really enjoy it, but having that poxy punto is fucking depressing...

my vote is for a nissan or an infiniti. toyota and honda are great as well, but i have been driving nissans and infinitis for years....very reliable, and hardly any problems as long as you keep up with your maintanence. frequent oil changes, tune-ups every 30,000mi., etc.

i drive more than anyone i know and my infiniti rides great. around 30,000 miles/yr. really comfortable vehicle, gets decent gas mileage, good hp, blah blah blah.

people still race civics?

after all that, it seems most likely I'll end up with a newer punto, mostly because the dealership will trade in my old one for a grand....

I almost go the rover, but my insurance company refused to cover me, not because it was 1.4 litrwe, but because it was 16valve and therefore a "perfomance" car. won't insure me until I am 25.....

Originally posted by DangerousArabian@Dec 7 2004, 11:22 AM

HEY HEY HOLD UP!! Wasnt this dyke bitching about being poor and not being able to buy 2 dollars worth of lightbulbs so its always dark in her house? some bullshit like that? pshhhhh

some people have different priorities(than you), get used to it.

Originally posted by DangerousArabian@Dec 7 2004, 04:22 PM

HEY HEY HOLD UP!! Wasnt this dyke bitching about being poor and not being able to buy 2 dollars worth of lightbulbs so its always dark in her house? some bullshit like that? pshhhhh

yes, I was. that's how my life is right now - no one gives a fuck about me one minute - then both parents vying for my attention the next.

I do indeed have light bulbs now.

now, why don't you make another username and go bother someone else, dickcozy...