artist paints iceberg red

Pfffffffffft

Artist paints iceberg red

By JAN M. OLSEN

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004.../395508-ap.html

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- An artist with 780 gallons of red paint, three fire hoses and a 20-member crew at his disposal went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas large enough to accommodate his creative impulse.

The result is a blood-red iceberg now sitting off the country's western coast.

"We all have a need to decorate Mother Nature because it belongs to all us," Danish artist Marco Evaristti said Thursday. "This is my iceberg; it belongs to me."

Just how Greenlanders view his masterpiece isn't clear yet. There was no immediate reaction from authorities, who are generally very protective of their unspoiled environment.

Evaristti and his crew sailed in two ice breakers from the small town of Ilullissat, Greenland, on Wednesday, and zigzagged among icebergs for about 30 minutes before they found the perfect frozen canvas.

Working in minus 9 degree weather, it took about two hours for the 40-year-old artist to paint the exposed tip of the iceberg, a volume of nearly 10,000 square feet.

The team sprayed the iceberg with the same dye used to tint meat, diluted with sea water, Evaristti told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Ilullissat, which means "Icebergs" in Greenlandic.

The town of 4,000, a tourist destination because of its scenery, sits at the mouth of the Kangia fjord, which is 25 miles long and five miles wide.

The fjord is filled with hundreds of icebergs-- previously all of them white.

Evaristti, who was born in Chile, drew widespread attention -- and disdain -- when he displayed 10 working blenders filled with goldfish in a Danish gallery in 2000.

He invited guests to turn the devices on and someone did, grinding up a pair of goldfish.

The gallery director was tried on charges of animal cruelty, but acquitted

:lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Evaristti, who was born in Chile, drew widespread attention -- and disdain -- when he displayed 10 working blenders filled with goldfish in a Danish gallery in 2000.

He invited guests to turn the devices on and someone did, grinding up a pair of goldfish.

:lol:

Let's hope that paint doesn't fuck

up the ecosystem of those waters.

Otherwise I would have to declare

this guy as an official douche bag.

I just heard a report about how the surfaces of icebergs are melting away so they don't have that nice white surface anymore and therefore cannot reflect as much sunlight and melt even faster.

The bastard could have at least picked a color higher in the spectrum.

Thanks for helping to kill us buddy.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by yoshy

and sucky art sucks it worse

and artists suck even harder than their sucky gay art work. "well, this represents my transition in a dark period blah blah blah blah". anytime i hear somebody say "i'm an artist" i just want to choke them until they're blue in the face and their glasses fall off.

i was all hyped to see a pic of it ... thinking that it was going to be this MASSIVE iceberg

then only to be let down seeing that

different, yes ... superb by any means, no

i sincerly hope they used paint that wouldn't hurt the ecosystem there

Guest imported_El Mamerro

There's no scale reference, no way to tell just how big that thing is from that picture.

I'd like to point out that this is so unbelievably stupid I cannot classify it as anything other than totally awesome.