Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

artist paints iceberg red

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Pfffffffffft, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Pfffffffffft

Pfffffffffft Moderator Crew

Artist paints iceberg red

By JAN M. OLSEN

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004.../395508-ap.html

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- An artist with 780 gallons of red paint, three fire hoses and a 20-member crew at his disposal went to Greenland in search of a blank canvas large enough to accommodate his creative impulse.

The result is a blood-red iceberg now sitting off the country's western coast.

"We all have a need to decorate Mother Nature because it belongs to all us," Danish artist Marco Evaristti said Thursday. "This is my iceberg; it belongs to me."

Just how Greenlanders view his masterpiece isn't clear yet. There was no immediate reaction from authorities, who are generally very protective of their unspoiled environment.

Evaristti and his crew sailed in two ice breakers from the small town of Ilullissat, Greenland, on Wednesday, and zigzagged among icebergs for about 30 minutes before they found the perfect frozen canvas.

Working in minus 9 degree weather, it took about two hours for the 40-year-old artist to paint the exposed tip of the iceberg, a volume of nearly 10,000 square feet.

The team sprayed the iceberg with the same dye used to tint meat, diluted with sea water, Evaristti told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Ilullissat, which means "Icebergs" in Greenlandic.

The town of 4,000, a tourist destination because of its scenery, sits at the mouth of the Kangia fjord, which is 25 miles long and five miles wide.

The fjord is filled with hundreds of icebergs-- previously all of them white.

Evaristti, who was born in Chile, drew widespread attention -- and disdain -- when he displayed 10 working blenders filled with goldfish in a Danish gallery in 2000.

He invited guests to turn the devices on and someone did, grinding up a pair of goldfish.

The gallery director was tried on charges of animal cruelty, but acquitted

:lol:

2. Tiberiu

Tiberiu New Jack

3. Basic

Basic Member

im loosley named after an artist who wrapped small islands in celophane .
    but accidently killed a couple of people when one of his giant umbrellas fell over .
    any pictures of said iceberg?

4. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Maybe Europe could be of some help with the pictures...
    ...maybe.

5. yoshy

yoshy Member

6. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

:lol:

Let's hope that paint doesn't fuck
    up the ecosystem of those waters.

Otherwise I would have to declare
    this guy as an official douche bag.

7. Pfffffffffft

Pfffffffffft Moderator Crew

ok, thats disappointing...i thought it was a massive chunk

8. villain

villain Veteran Member

I just heard a report about how the surfaces of icebergs are melting away so they don't have that nice white surface anymore and therefore cannot reflect as much sunlight and melt even faster.
    The bastard could have at least picked a color higher in the spectrum.
    Thanks for helping to kill us buddy.... :rolleyes:

9. CinchedWaist

CinchedWaist Elite Member

:rolleyes:
    seems like he's just trying to make a name for himself doing stupid shit.
    and killing goldfish is not nice.

10. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

11. yoshy

yoshy Member

and sucky art sucks it worse

12. JohnnyLode

JohnnyLode Member

cristo(sp?)?

13. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

and artists suck even harder than their sucky gay art work. "well, this represents my transition in a dark period blah blah blah blah". anytime i hear somebody say "i'm an artist" i just want to choke them until they're blue in the face and their glasses fall off.

14. yoshy

yoshy Member

haaaahaaa, oh man. yeah when people start talking about their work, it
    is usually dissapointing and aggravating in the least.

15. Mr. Whoppie

Mr. Whoppie New Jack

"This is my iceberg, it belongs to me"

that made me laugh for some reason...