1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

art school thread.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel, Dec 29, 2001.

1. CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel

CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel New Jack

art school thread.

Discussion started by CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel - Dec 29, 2001

any of you been or in art school? what do you like about it? what do you hate about it? anything...... im really bored.

CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

rental - Replied Dec 29, 2001

why do you want to know? are you a cop? are you slyly trying to investigate kids who do illegal stuff who are in art school? or...do you just want to find out about art schools...

rental - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

god im tired

4. CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel

CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel - Replied Dec 29, 2001

i just wanna find out what others experiences have been. im going to a trucking school in alabama so dont even front, rental.

5. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

dude, im just kidding

6. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Dec 29, 2001

It's really dope. Not for everyone, though. There's a lot of people who hold their art very personal, and don't like the thought of having teachers telling them what art is or how they should do it. That hasn't been the case for me though. Beer,

El Mamerro

7. imported_Tesseract - Replied Dec 29, 2001

Put aside the people you have to deal with (the majority of wannabees that appear everywhere) and its cool, it can get really annoying sometimes but at the end of the line (where i am;) ) its good.

8. charles_bronson

charles_bronson 12oz Senior Member

charles_bronson - Replied Dec 29, 2001

i was about to ask the same question because i was accepted to pratt institute. has anyone been there or knows anyone who goes there. i am curious to know what its like.

charles_bronson - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. Frate_Raper

Frate_Raper 12oz Veteran Member

Frate_Raper - Replied Dec 29, 2001

it's fun.I like most of what I'm taking the rest seems so unimportant.

the people their are so fucking gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they all think their gods gift to art adn talk about themselfs WAYYYYYY to much.I don't fit in with all the people in my classes but fuck it.

Frate_Raper - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. Jan Ulrich

Jan Ulrich Guest

Jan Ulrich - Replied Dec 29, 2001

the good: 1.the ladies, 2.there are hardly any exams(unless you're an art history major), 3.you progress much faster when surrounded by other like minded individuals

the bad: 1.most instructors are completely worthless. if your actually studying art (ie. painting, drawing) you're probably going to get some old fart who has achieved "substantial" fame in the art world as an instructor. they will often spend most of their time telling you about themselves and what they're doing rather than teaching you what you're paying them for.

the ugly: 1.critiques. this is where you present your work and 90% of the class goes "it's nice" or make some other worthless comment along the same lines. i've even had instructors who refused to offer any constructive criticism. 2. Egos. you have to deal with a lot of pretentious, big-headed fucks that do nothing but talk about themselves.

rock on.

11. CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel

CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel - Replied Dec 29, 2001

thanks ya'll.

12. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

DEE38 - Replied Dec 29, 2001

Yeah thats true. I go to a commercial arts school, and it made me hate the thing i loved most, for a while. I felt like a sellout. Commercial arts.. like advertizing, graphic design.. all b.s. come with bullshit clients. It pissed me off having people who know nothing about art or what I do tell me I drew her thighs too thick, or that pink isn't pink enough, or to center something I made uncentered, on purpose.

But then i'm like, hey man.. whatever sells. As long as I don't have to design any abortion flyers giving a two for one discount, or ciggerrete ads.. i'm happy with whatever helps me buy some new paint brushes and paint. I'm planning on going to a fine arts school later on in life.

DEE38 - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  13. BIG T

BIG T 12oz Member

BIG T - Replied Dec 29, 2001

got money???????

BIG T - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Dec 29, 2001

Jan Ulrich nailed that shit to a T. And Dee, I planned to sell out right from the start, haha. If it were up to me, I'd go into painting and live like a hermit in a wooden shack in the Virgin Islands, living off whatever I fish in the morning.

But I also want to someday start a family and have a kicking sound system and all that shit, so I opted for industrial design instead. Beer,

El Mamerro

15. Jan Ulrich

Jan Ulrich Guest

Jan Ulrich - Replied Dec 29, 2001

$$I.D is where the money is.$$

the truth is, if you want to be a painter, i wouldn't even bother going to school. i was in a studio art program for a year and i learnt absolutely nothing from my instructors. i improved simply by being around other artists who motivated me.

i suggest studying art history(knowledge is key to success) and then trying to surround yourself with other working artists. sharing ideas with peers is often much more beneficial than the instructor/student relationship.

beer indeed.