art school thread.

CoreyHaimIsMyRoleModel

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

It's really dope. Not for everyone, though. There's a lot of people who hold their art very personal, and don't like the thought of having teachers telling them what art is or how they should do it. That hasn't been the case for me though. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

Put aside the people you have to deal with (the majority of wannabees that appear everywhere) and its cool, it can get really annoying sometimes but at the end of the line (where i am;) ) its good.

Guest Jan Ulrich

the good: 1.the ladies, 2.there are hardly any exams(unless you're an art history major), 3.you progress much faster when surrounded by other like minded individuals

the bad: 1.most instructors are completely worthless. if your actually studying art (ie. painting, drawing) you're probably going to get some old fart who has achieved "substantial" fame in the art world as an instructor. they will often spend most of their time telling you about themselves and what they're doing rather than teaching you what you're paying them for.

the ugly: 1.critiques. this is where you present your work and 90% of the class goes "it's nice" or make some other worthless comment along the same lines. i've even had instructors who refused to offer any constructive criticism. 2. Egos. you have to deal with a lot of pretentious, big-headed fucks that do nothing but talk about themselves.

rock on.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

It's really dope. Not for everyone, though. There's a lot of people who hold their art very personal, and don't like the thought of having teachers telling them what art is or how they should do it. That hasn't been the case for me though. Beer,

El Mamerro

Yeah thats true. I go to a commercial arts school, and it made me hate the thing i loved most, for a while. I felt like a sellout. Commercial arts.. like advertizing, graphic design.. all b.s. come with bullshit clients. It pissed me off having people who know nothing about art or what I do tell me I drew her thighs too thick, or that pink isn't pink enough, or to center something I made uncentered, on purpose.

But then i'm like, hey man.. whatever sells. As long as I don't have to design any abortion flyers giving a two for one discount, or ciggerrete ads.. i'm happy with whatever helps me buy some new paint brushes and paint. I'm planning on going to a fine arts school later on in life.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Jan Ulrich nailed that shit to a T. And Dee, I planned to sell out right from the start, haha. If it were up to me, I'd go into painting and live like a hermit in a wooden shack in the Virgin Islands, living off whatever I fish in the morning.

But I also want to someday start a family and have a kicking sound system and all that shit, so I opted for industrial design instead. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest Jan Ulrich

$$I.D is where the money is.$$

the truth is, if you want to be a painter, i wouldn't even bother going to school. i was in a studio art program for a year and i learnt absolutely nothing from my instructors. i improved simply by being around other artists who motivated me.

i suggest studying art history(knowledge is key to success) and then trying to surround yourself with other working artists. sharing ideas with peers is often much more beneficial than the instructor/student relationship.

beer indeed.

Originally posted by Jan Ulrich

$$I.D is where the money is.$$

the truth is, if you want to be a painter, i wouldn't even bother going to school. i was in a studio art program for a year and i learnt absolutely nothing from my instructors. i improved simply by being around other artists who motivated me.

trying to surround yourself with other working artists. sharing ideas with peers is often much more beneficial than the instructor/student relationship.

beer indeed.

this is all well and good, but all the local art ive scene pretty much blows

and also, im thinking about attending an art school somewhere in the sf bay...i was thinking the academy of art or the cali institute of the arts, but i was told that if im majoring in drawing and painting/fine art that it was better to go to the art and crafts school...opinions?

Guest Pilau Hands

Doing anything creative for a living, requires that you go balls out right away. You better know that you're gonna make it, or you're gonna flop around and probably waste your time. In the negative aspect, I am describing myself. If you're in doubt, the key is meeting people who are successful, and convincing yourself that you can be better.

I heard SFAI is beautiful, but they don't provide housing for students, so you're simultaneously working and paying rent. A friend of mine met four freshman who are currently sleeping in their cars.

i dunno--i graduated art shool (started at pratt, transfered to massart, graduated from there.) and i have mixed feelings. 1/2 of me is glad i had the experience and half of me feels it was a total waste of time. i majored in graphic design and started doing work at a design firm and hated it. quit in 3 weeks. so don't just chase the money cause i tried that and it fuckin sucked. i was just lucky to find that tattooing made me happy, but a lot of computer graphics/id/graphic design kids that i went to school with are fuckin miserable right now at their jobs.

Guest Jan Ulrich
Originally posted by garcia_vega

i dunno--i graduated art shool (started at pratt, transfered to massart, graduated from there.) and i have mixed feelings. 1/2 of me is glad i had the experience and half of me feels it was a total waste of time. i majored in graphic design and started doing work at a design firm and hated it. quit in 3 weeks. so don't just chase the money cause i tried that and it fuckin sucked. i was just lucky to find that tattooing made me happy, but a lot of computer graphics/id/graphic design kids that i went to school with are fuckin miserable right now at their jobs.

aw fuck. this is exactly the kind of shit i hate hearing. i'm studying graphic design right now and all i ever hear is how badly it sucks. i'm well aware of the fact that as a graphic designer you're going to be working for complete dicks 99.9% of the time, but hell, isn't that the case in most job situations? would i be any better off as a banker? a salesman?

what kind of work were you doing for the 3 weeks you worked there?

ART FAGS

First off you have to know what you want out of this art school. Do you want a career, and if so what kind of career? For a career in like graphic design (illustration, computer, prototype cars and shit like that) nothing comes close to Pasadena's Art Center. If you want a career as an artist, galleries, fame and fortune and all that jazz, UCLA is hooked up with a crazy staff of famous artists so you will get sucked right in to the hoopla of art fag bullshit. If you just want to go to a good art school, both of these schools are alright but you might want to check out CalArts. Personally I got into art knowing that I will make about $200.00 off my art in my lifetime if I'm lucky. Its definitely not about a career for me and with a lot of cool people I met, very few actually accept this and choose to use their art for a different purpose. Art school is full of assholes criticizing every god damn move you make. Its good to know about art history so you can fight with them about your work and things that everyone else thinks they know about your work. Also I don't think my graffiti belongs in an institution such as art school so I choose to keep it seperate from other things I am interested in. I might change my mind in the future, and no disrespect to those graff heads who choose to show work in galleries, all the fame they get from that is well deserved, (barry mcgee). So I could write forever about this... art school is both good and bad, but keep in mind that even the bad shit that comes along with it can be turned around and used for your benefit.

Art school = $$$ = US

Art school = free = Europe

Archived