Art or Not; Interview with an art critic

hayabusa_2.0

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I like how he deconstructed Sheperd Fairey logically and tactfully and in the end, really conveyed what a lot of people (especially on this site) feel about him and his work.

He's also putting Ed Hardy into a new light for me.

I keep editing my post here as I watch this and this is a really SOLID interview/critique. I'm gonna' try and dig up more about this guy.

He mentions he wrote a book. I definitely want to check it out now. Especially since it's called "Most Art Sucks"!

Thanks for posting this.

For me it just seems like this guy has nothing but a mere preference and the artistic rhetoric to stand behind his point. Ed Hardy to me and to many others stands as much more of a brand than Shephard Fairy; he's the guy who does tattoo-looking merchandise. From posters to shirts, to handbags and beyond; this stuff isn't made to elevate people's consciousness, it's to turn a profit. He said it himself- when you change the context of imagery it becomes two completely different things- just like when you change where an Obey Giant sign is so too when you change where the image of a tattoo is.

Furthermore the thought of advertising as art or not isn't particularly contemporary, though he makes pretty self involved grabs for regarding himself as such. He rejects Shepherd Fairy for doing it but then what about Andy Warhol who- while he didn't pull down billions of dollars, he was a single man and an entity in and of himself who caused people to ask questions about what was art and what wasn't based on branding.

Personally I don't care for the work of Shepherd Fairy- I just don't think it looks good and it doesn't particularly speak to me as art, and similarly I'm not a fan of the tattoo fashion of Ed Hardy. My preference however doesn't mean that either of these guys can do something important for someone else, all I can say is if they qualify as art to me because of how particularly personal that sort of experience is.

"There's dragons in every culture, there's angels in every culture."

I still have yet to sit down sober (not that Im always intoxicated) and re-watch this. Although poly you have to understand that while Ed hardy did start the clothing thing Christian Audigier has been heading it since I think 2004. I dont love or hate Ed Hardys work (nor do I wear it) but I think the guy in the vid was speaking mainly on his art not the use of it translated into Christian Audigier's look on fashion. Almost all the clothing should show "Ed hardy" but under it it usually says "by Christian Audigier."