ARod to the Yankees.

Poop Man Bob

Fans of baseball might find this intriguing:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735449

Rangers would get Soriano, financial flexibility

The Rangers and Yankees have finalized a trade that will send shortstop Alex Rodriguez to New York for Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named, ESPN has learned. A statement will be released at 2 p.m. ET. A news conference is scheduled for Monday, likely in New York.

New Bronx Bombers

The Yankees' potential lineup with A-Rod, based on prorated 2004 salaries.

Player ................. Dollars per 9 innings

1. Kenny Lofton, CF $2,126

2. Derek Jeter, SS $11,659

3. Alex Rodriguez, 3B $14,403

4. Jason Giambi, 1B $6,858

5. Gary Sheffield, RF $8,916

6. Bernie Williams, DH $8,230

7. Jorge Posada, C $4,115

8. Hideki Matsui, LF $4,801

9. Miguel Cairo, 2B $617

Kevin Brown, RHP $10,288

Total $72,013

Yankees captain Derek Jeter would remain the team's shortstop, meaning Rodriguez would be moved from short to third base to fill the hole created when Aaron Boone hurt a knee last month in a pickup basketball game.

Rangers officials said Saturday night, prior to the deal's completion, that they believe they'd be getting in return for the 28-year-old AL MVP something far more important than a young slugger in Soriano. "It's about flexibility," Texas general manager John Hart said. "We're trading the best player in the game and we're getting tremendous financial flexibility."

The framework of the deal included the agreement that the Yankees would take on much of the $179 million remaining on Rodriguez's landmark $252 million contract. The Yankees would pay Rodriguez an average of about $16 million a year, which translates to Texas assuming $67 million of the $179 million left on Rodriguez's contract. Two sources told The Associated Press that Texas has agreed to those terms. Rodriguez also has agreed to defer some money by five more years -- pushing the last payment back to 2025 -- and at a reduced interest rate, one of the sources said.

According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, the Rangers would pay $40 million of the $179 million in salary that Rodriguez is owed over the final seven years of his contract and would pick up $27 million of the deferred amount of that contract, which they do not have to pay for 10-12 years. With those moves, Texas gains about $120 million in flexibility. As for the Yankees, their already hefty payroll would continue to expand.

In addition to the salary owed Rodriguez, he is due $4 million from his signing bonus and $12 million deferred at 3 percent annual interest from salaries during his first three years with Texas. The New York Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to include Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in the trade.

Soriano, 26, will make $5.4 million this year and has two more years of salary arbitration eligibility remaining. The two-time All-Star can become a free agent after the 2006 season. Thus, the Yankees would take on an extra $183.6 million guaranteed.

The Yankees' payroll currently stands at $170.3 million, not including left-hander Gabe White, who remains in arbitration and will earn at least $1,825,000. A swap of Soriano for Rodriguez leaves New York's payroll at about $190 million.

The trade proposal requires approval from the commissioner's office and the players' association. Although the union already scuttled a potential Rodriguez trade to Boston this offseason, the contract-restructuring issues were considered less likely to be deal-breakers this time.

"We're in a very sensitive stage right now," Hart said. "A deal of this magnitude, with all the moving parts, it takes time." The tremendous savings go a long way toward helping reshape a franchise badly in need of an overhaul. Of course, Texas also would be without its best player, the one recently named captain. But the Rangers have finished last in their division four straight years, the past three with Rodruguez.

The losing wore on Rodriguez, prompting him to tell the club he'd waive his no-trade clause for a select few teams. Roller-coaster negotiations almost landed him in Boston for Manny Ramirez, who has five years and $97.5 million left on his contract. Financially, the deal with New York is better for Texas.

While not quite the well-rounded hitter Ramirez is, Soriano is a two-time All-Star with a career average of .284. He's narrowly missed having 40 homers and 40 stolen bases in each of the past two seasons, going 38-35 last season and 39-41 the year before.

"Look at Soriano's numbers," Hart said. "This is no stiff we're bringing back here." Soriano also is strikeout prone and an average defender. Texas would consider moving him to center field. However, trading Soriano creates a hole at second base. If the deal is made, Enrique Wilson, Miguel Cairo and Erick Almonte would be among the candidates to play second for the Yankees.

The Rangers gave the Yankees one potential replacement last week when they swapped Mike Lamb for a minor-league pitcher. Then Hart and New York general manager Brian Cashman began talking about making Rodriguez the first reigning MVP to be traded.

Hart said Texas owner Tom Hicks -- who supported the deal with Boston -- "was reluctant, initially" on the Yankees trade. "But as we've gone along in the process, I've been able to make him more comfortable," Hart said. "It's a potential win-win-win situation for the Rangers, the Yankees and Alex Rodriguez."

Rodriguez hit .298 last season with 47 homers, 118 RBI and 17 stolen bases, and Soriano batted .290 with 38 homers, 91 RBI and 35 steals. Second baseman Michael Young seems the most likely replacement for Rodriguez at shortstop. That would mean Soriano or Eric Young, a veteran signed to be a utility backup, would play second base.

Another scenario would be leaving Michael Young at second and letting prospect Drew Meyer take over at shortstop. The Rangers also are high on prospect Ramon Nivar, an infielder in the minors who was converted to the outfield last season partly because of a perceived logjam in the infield.

New York opens spring training Tuesday, and Texas starts two days later.

Here's to hoping that the entire Yankee starting lineup tear their ACLs while playing basketball.

Damn Yankees. http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb/icons/icon27.gif'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

the yankees suck. they sure as hell did that deal just to piss off the red sox, and i'd sure as hell like to see the sox retaliate. i think they should pick up maddux or something, just to piss off the boss in the bronx. GO SOX!

OH MAN

I GOT LOVE FOR MY NIGGAS IN MASS...BUT JUST GIVE UP ON THINKING YALL ARE GOING TO WIN SOME JEWELRY...JUST LAY BACK AND CHEER ON PEDRO, HOPE HE BREAKS SOME RECORDS OR SOMETHING, FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE, SO THAT WAY GETTING CRUSHED IN THE PLAYOFFS DOESN'T SEEM SO BAD. NAHMEAN? ;)

http://www.homestead.com/lilitaly/files/yankees.jpg'>

M E R O E

RTEAM'04

BRONX BOMBERS

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

NOBODY "GOT CRUSHED" IN THE PLAYOFFS THOUGH. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THE YANKS GOT A GIFT FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF THE SOX, AND EVEN THEN IT WAS ALL DECIDED BY ONE HOME RUN. IT WAS SURE AS HELL FUNNY TO SEE PEDRO TOSS ZIMMER THOUGH, WHICH I GUESS IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO THE RING.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

NOBODY "GOT CRUSHED" IN THE PLAYOFFS THOUGH. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THE YANKS GOT A GIFT FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF THE SOX, AND EVEN THEN IT WAS ALL DECIDED BY ONE HOME RUN. IT WAS SURE AS HELL FUNNY TO SEE PEDRO TOSS ZIMMER THOUGH, WHICH I GUESS IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO THE RING.

ZIMMER WAS BRAVEHEART TO THE GRAVEYARD WITH THAT SHIT, I HEARD HE WAS SCREAMING "G-UNIIIIIT" WHILE HE CHARGED THE MOUND...THAT SHIT WAS FUNNY, PEDRO IS MY MANS...BUT THE SOX NEED TO DO SOMETHING, I DONT KNOW MAN, HIRE A VOODOO PRIEST OR SOME SHIT, HAVE THE POPE BLESS THE TEAM BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS, DO SOMETHING :lol: YOU SHOULD SNEAK INTO THE YANKEE DUGOUT AND PUT GHB IN THE GATORADE...

M E R O E RT

ITS ALRIGHT

Why the hell would the Yankees trade Soriano for Rodriguez?? As much as I don't care for the Yankees, that was a dumb move. He was one of, if not, the best contact hitters and infielders on the team. Now you have A Rod and Jeter on the same team....EGO CLASH!

Atleast A Rod didn't go to the BoSox though. They are going to be the team to beat this year. They have the offense, and now they've added Schilling to their pitching staff. Awesome.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

My cousin in Jamaica Plain told me some crazy shit went down in the Bean when Zimmer got tossed. Fights and shit. Boston is the craziest.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

Why the hell would the Yankees trade Soriano for Rodriguez?? As much as I don't care for the Yankees, that was a dumb move. He was one of, if not, the best contact hitters and infielders on the team. Now you have A Rod and Jeter on the same team....EGO CLASH!

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. EXCEPT FOR THE "DONT CARE FOR THE YANKEES" PART

I am going to eat the souls of the yankees and feast upon there entrails.

Oh yeah fuck a-rod to i would rather have manny and nomar any day anf fuck the yankees its all about the Red Sox Nation.

soriano a contact hitter? that fool strikes out more than most of the AL combined. it's still a bad deal, i agree. i'd reather have him on my team than a-rod. need for speed- soriano is stolen bases like whoa.

mero, that boston shit is funny. and i love the red sox.

i don't know how much soriano's new deal was for, but I recall him making less than a million per year previous to this new contract. He is pretty good, I'd say. A-Rod on Texas may not have been so good, as they needed financial flexibility to get pitching. A-Rod on Yankees - go ahead. They can sign Jesus Christ for all I care - they're stacked to the tits, and my Jays are in the hardest division in baseball. They're gonna be like the A's that the book Moneyball was based on, hopefully. If not this year, then sometime by 2007.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

There's also age to consider: Soriano is 26, while ARod is 32.

Arod isnt 32. he turns 29 in july according to sports center.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Yeah, I realized this today when I was playing on the Internet at school. Oops.

nah i can understand. its insane that hes been playing since what, 94? and the guy is still that young.

Archived