Are you Mentally Ill

poodikpap-e

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

obviously you dont realize that there is such a thing as 'borderline personality disorder' which has absolutely nothing to do with being on the 'border' between ill, and healthy. BPD fucking sucks. my ex had it. its kind of like manic depression (bipolar) but more violent and destructive.

is wack.

no, thats what all the sane ones say when they're trying to sound cool.

anyone that really has a serious mental condition, not anger management issues, or rich kid syndrome, know's its wack.

there iis a huge difference between bad coping skills and lack of home training, and mental illness.

BDP and Bipolar Disorder

Originally posted by seeking

obviously you dont realize that there is such a thing as 'borderline personality disorder' which has absolutely nothing to do with being on the 'border' between ill, and healthy. BPD fucking sucks. my ex had it. its kind of like manic depression (bipolar) but more violent and destructive.

is wack.

What is BPD then, if it has nothing to do with being on the 'borderline'? Bipolar Disorder from what I understand is when you have severe swings from one pole to the other, from a state of depression to a manicy state of euphoria. Hence the term bipolar. And I thought if you were diagnosed as being "borderline", it just meant that fate hasn't decided which way you swing yet. And yes, I will concur that being mentally ill does suck, as it has completely fucked up me and my whole family.

Re: BDP and Bipolar Disorder

Originally posted by poodikpap-e

What is BPD then, if it has nothing to do with being on the 'borderline'? Bipolar Disorder from what I understand is when you have severe swings from one pole to the other, from a state of depression to a manicy state of euphoria. Hence the term bipolar. And I thought if you were diagnosed as being "borderline", it just meant that fate hasn't decided which way you swing yet. And yes, I will concur that being mentally ill does suck, as it has completely fucked up me and my whole family.

Annnnnnghghh.

nice mams... someone had to say it.

Some people claim that 'addictive personality' is a real concern

and others say it's not even close to a 'disorder'. Either way,

I'm very well rounded and sane asides from a serious 'addictive personality'.

Now if I had 'Multiple Addicitve Personalities' I'd be locked up by now.

BPD Borderline Personality Disorder

For those confused about bpd and bipolar:

Borderline Personality Disorder involves rapid and extreme mood swings, one could be sky high one minute and suicidal the next, the moods last minutes, hours, or at most a few days...one psychologist said it ought to be called "emotional dysregulation disorder"...its main known cause is child abuse...the child fails to form a personality/self, and therefore creates a false self, with constant identity crises, and the biggest feature of BPD is probably extreme fear of abandonment and wildly trying to prevent it...people with BPD show signs from early childhood. Self-injurers are often diagnosed borderline. The term Borderline came about when psychs thought decades ago that persons with this disorder were on the "borderline" of psychosis.

Bipolar Disorder is "manic depression" where the person goes through mood cycles, from manic (sped up, euphoric, creative, irritable) to depressed and suicidal...bipolar persons are often depressed 2/3s of time, manic the other 1/3...persons who complete the mania/depression cycle more than 3 times a year are rare and called rapid cyclers. Bipolar is a chemical-related mental illness and is hereditary, and isn't caused but can be triggered by life crises or stress. Usually this is first diagnosed in a person's late teens or early twenties.

These are just simple summaries...also one can be both borderline and bipolar.

Are you mentally ill?

sometimes i ask myself the same thing.

just out of intrest, what signs should i be on the look out for? is it possible for that person to actually realise and diagnose (to the best of their abilities) that there may be something wrong. ive started to get major major moodswings, and have begun a tendancy to start fights with people over nothing...

(i was actually being serious with that opening line.)

Schizo...

I suffer from undifferentiated schizophrenia and was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I've done all types of crazy shit during my relapses, getting into a 4-car crash because I thought I was driving a spaceship, running around my street naked and delirious, smashing about 6,000 dollars worth of audio equipment in the middle of my street, etc., And It sucks because each time you get out of the hospital you have to start your life over again. And the real fun begins when the neighborhood children start calling you "crackhead". Anyways I'm not here to bitch and moan, I just wanted to get some sort of consensus with this poll and bring all the "real" loonies out. Oh yeah, if your family has a history of mentall illness, don't do hallucinogens.

Flame now....

Re: Schizo...

Originally posted by poodikpap-e

Oh yeah, if your family has a history of mentall illness, don't do hallucinogens.

word! listen to the crackhead! (just kidding)

I had to go with my Mom this weekend and 'retrieve' my Aunt's

car that she had abandoned in a farmers field. This aunt's in the psych

ward now with confirmed bi-polar disorder. She has been in a bunch of

times but now the state has certified her as 'mentally incapable'.

Maybe her 'mescaline in mexico' adventure durring the 70's has come back for good.

My mother is totally convinced that it was those drugs that set the seeds of insanity in her.

I personally will never do any type of hallucinogen ever again in my life.

smoking crack however.... naw...fuggedaboutit

Hypomanic episodes:

* Last spring for months I was smoking herb several times a day to "slow down", painted lots, felt like dancing whenever I heard music, listened to nothing but reggae, couldn't stop talking whenever I started, and a co-worker told me I had seemed angry for about a month, but I was oblivious--I felt great! I had more energy and always wanted to be doing something, and felt happy this speedy euphoria replaced the usual depression.

* Got a failure to yield, causing property damage: forced a Mustang over into the curb when I got in the turning lane on the other side of the double yellow lines and realized it, immediately merging back into traffic...earlier in the day I "realized" I should eat nothing but raw fruits and vegetables for a few days every once in awhile, checked out books from the library about several religions because I felt very spiritual, bought tons of exotic fruits from the fruitstand, and while mowing the lawn quicker than ever I thought about how the B-12 vitamins I just started taking days earlier was making me extremely energetic...hahaha.

There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest

deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure

impulsivity or failure to plan ahead

irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults

reckless disregard for safety of self or others

consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations

lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

Does that mean I'm mentally ill?

tofu,

thank you for that. i hadent read an actual description in forever...funny how quickly it all comes back to you though. my girl was nuts. she would go from being the coolest person i ever met, to hitting me over the head with a rotary phone (one of the big, ancient ones that are heavy as hell). i was steady having to call the cops on her. she would break into my house... god... but it was one of those things, where you cant leave, cause you love them, no matter what it does to you. finally, after getting into a big fight one night, and all of a sudden im standing there with a gun to my head (by my own hand) i decided enough was enough, and forced her to check herself into a hospital.

now she is engaged to my (ex) best friend.

life is strange.

Archived