1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

are our soldiers fighting the 'war on terror' really heroes?

Discussion in 'News' started by patrickjilbert, Feb 23, 2002.

1. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert 12oz Member

are our soldiers fighting the 'war on terror' really heroes?

Discussion started by patrickjilbert - Feb 23, 2002

- GNN ARTICLE -
    Spin of the Week
    PR Watch, February 22, 2002
    It was a big week for the American propaganda juggernaut. In Hollywood, blockbuster producer Jerry Bruckheimer got the green light to create a "reality" show featuring American soldiers battling for freedom across the globe. Back at the Pentagon, Rumsfield defended the announcement of a new Defense Dept. office dedicated to, among other things, planting pro-American news stories overseas - stories, that is, which may or may not be true.

Pentagon & Disney/ABC Turn War Into Gung Ho TV Entertainment
    "The Pentagon is giving two Hollywood producers access to troops in Afghanistan and around the world to promote its war effort through television's genre of the moment, the reality series. The result is expected to be a 13-part series shown in prime time by ABC entertainment division this year. The producers - Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the movies "Black Hawk Down' and 'Pearl Harbor,' and Bertram van Munster, whose credits include the reality series ... 'Cops' - intend to tell the 'compelling personal stories of the U.S. military men and women who bear the burden of this fighting,' according to an ABC news release. ... A senior ABC executive who declined to be identified said yesterday that the network's news division complained to top officials at its parent company, Walt Disney, several weeks ago about entertainment producers' handling a documentary series about the war for the network. These complaints, the executive said, were rebuffed."

i was reading an article on Guerilla News (see above for part of the article) and was thinking about this - can we really consider our soldiers heroes?

almost every single person who is in the military right now, whether at home or overseas, did so by choice. it's their job. they were fully aware of the consequences. and much of the 'fighting' against the ill-equipped enemy is done by bombing and missles. they're not getting shot at.

and is fighting this 'war on terror' (which might be better translated into 'the war on whoever doesn't give us our way') a heroic thing? is it heroic to do whatever your government tells you without question? one might say yes, but think about it. doesn't sound too democratic to me, but hey it's the military so it doesn't matter...

i believe that fighting against the nazis and british was great (although i know ww2 wasn't perfect). we got rid of racist maniacs and gained our independence. all sounds great. the 'war on terror' seems too misguided to me. there are way too many other motives and way too much money to be made by this bullshit.

and if there is so much of a need to try to desperatley force our 'good' image on the world, was it that great to begin with?

i don't know. i'm just getting into trying to understand what is going on. any comments on anything or talk would be nice.

patrickjilbert - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  2. boxcarwilly

boxcarwilly 12oz Senior Member

boxcarwilly - Replied Feb 23, 2002

i definately agree that we cannot consider this mindless war heroic, stories of heroism are abound in the women who crouched in mud huts teaching school girls who were never supposed to learn to read how to. and what we bomb them now, we impose our beliefs and governmental policies on a culture we can never ever hope to understand, much like they cannot understand the gross materialism and inhumanity of the US. from the beginning ofscapegoating and blaming in this game, the US wants to come out on top... look who has the most Olympic medals so far, look who was the "hero" in death when he was interrogating a person who believed so strongly in his God that he would die for Allah. this country is on fire and the only water we have is words right now...

i fully believe if you commit to the armed forces you have to be willing to die, if you didnt why would you hold a gun... it is bullshit the US soldiers over there are no more heroic than any murderer...

rant done.

boxcarwilly - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert - Replied Feb 23, 2002

well put

(i should have been heroic and emailed you and beardo about skating today)

4. beardo

beardo Guest

beardo - Replied Feb 24, 2002

i was heroic today by not crying when i twisted my ankle.

it was fine 5 minutes later.

5. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert - Replied Feb 24, 2002

i was gonna come back to skate, but i think the police cleared out love park. i was gonna show you my new master p doll. when you squeeze him he says:

" UUUUUGHHH! na na na na! "

oh well.

6. ardenchapman

ardenchapman New Jack

ardenchapman - Replied Feb 24, 2002

hero's for what?
    killing innocent families, and crashing their own stupid helicopters?
    or fighting to keep americas SUV's running?

ardenchapman - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  7. Agent Uprise

Agent Uprise New Jack

Agent Uprise - Replied Feb 24, 2002

Bill Maher (sp?) the host of Politicly Uncorrect got mad heat for saying that shit. His point was who the coward, the motherfucker who flies himself into a building or the person who sits in a warm command center miles from the conflict and shoots off bombs.

Agent Uprise - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  8. ?!?!

?!?! Guest

?!?! - Replied Feb 24, 2002

you know i understand how you guys take the stand you do against our war efforts and all. i mean im no joe fact i dont know it all but i do know that yes they may be fucking over other countrys, but look at how we get to live. so one some guy gets pulled over and gets a ticket becuase hes black or you get busted for skateboarding by the cops. wah wah sure those are all bad but i mean we could all be slaves living in huts and all that bullshit. and at the same tim ei know if america stopped doing fucked up shit to other coutries we wouldnt fall to that level of poverty but still. if you dont like the way the country is being ran then move to pakistan. see if your like their politics any better. if they dont suit you move on over to iran. see if your more comforatable with their laws.

and really i dont care about it all, think what you want, but like most of my post. im just bored.

9. NoamChomsky

NoamChomsky Guest

NoamChomsky - Replied Feb 24, 2002

If i remember right,what Bill Maher said was that U.S. policy makers were the cowards for not taking action sooner.People thought he was calling the soldiers cowards but he just meant the politicians. Dont be misled,there is plenty of fighting still going on.Delta Force and the Special Air Service commandos get shot at plenty.I dont agree with this war but like Vietnam,there are still acts of individual heroism which deserve respect.

10. Xeroshoes

Xeroshoes 12oz Senior Member

Xeroshoes - Replied Feb 24, 2002

Haha, that's classic. Fuck SUVs......

Xeroshoes - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. serum

serum 12oz Elite Member

serum - Replied Feb 24, 2002

i was going to go to korea recently because the price, which was already the cheapest flight in asia, has dropped to approx $120. round trip. but then that dumb bastard has to start shit with north korea so with the south koreans rioting burning flags i'm afraid they might want to burn a white boy. i love china too so i figure if i ever want to see it before WWIII i'm going to have to go there soon. also bush came to japan and didnt throw up so he feels it was a success. i think me leaving america was the smartest thing i've ever done in my life. my family are fucking wierdos ever since the sep.11th thing. talking about killing muslims and shit. then some fucking pervert was staring at my girlfriend last night and i said what the fuck are you looking at bitch. and he says i'm from brazil i'm not a muslim. yeah? i give a fuck. blow up your tvs now.

serum - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied Feb 24, 2002

YES.
    Heroes for killing innocent families? Please. All these people talking about the US killing innocent families yet when you talk about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict you want to call these Palestinian Suicide bombers, bombing shopping malls , Revolutionaries and freedom fighters. You mean these "innocent families" pointing guns at us?

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  13. patrickjilbert

i think palestinians are freedom fighters totally. but that is a whole different topic.

14. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo 12oz Member

I Luv Roo - Replied Feb 24, 2002

The term Hero has been way over used and abused in the last six months. Anyone at all involved in this post sept 11 war has been deemed a hero.

On the other side however, I would rather pay more respect to the privates, pleebs and soldiers who are just people like you and me. Maybe they're not "hero's" persay, but they get some props for being soldiers, and doing this stuff without question. They aren't the war mongers or the fat cats who are responsible, but they are doing what they feel is what they can do to earn a living and maybe get and education with the GI bill. Most people join the army because they don't have a very decent income and want to take advantage of the few perks the armed forces offer....and I think alot of them hope that a big war doesn't start. My cousin joined up long enough ago that she got out before any of this happened and she thanks her lucky stars for it. She's not a gun toting nut, or a murderous fiend - just regular folk.

I Luv Roo - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. patrickjilbert

good point.

i just find it hard to have a great deal of respect for one who does whatever the government says without question.