Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Are all hicks republicans?

Discussion in 'News' started by hobo knife, Oct 20, 2004.

1. hobo knife

hobo knife Junior Member

Why are a lot of the more rural areas traditionally conservative republican?

I know there are plenty of answers to this but lets hear what you guys think...Poor education? Religion? Nascar? Hunting? Incest?

2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

"democrats win when people think, republicans win when they don't" - bill clinton (quoting someone else).

those are also the same areas that have seperate bathrooms for 'coloreds', that attend church 'religiously' and talk shit behind the back of everyone in the neighborhood.

or in other words, because they're fucking ignorant.

3. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

Check this out..

This is an email going back and forth with someone from my work..This should get some laughs..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, there are Redneck values, and then there is backwoods ignorance.
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with an educated Southern Boy with good ole southern
    values. For me it is mostly about who stands for what I believe in (or
    at least the closest to it) As a matter of fact my Doctor is a good ole
    southern boy :) I am proud to be a "Redneck", I am from a small Southern
    town, and we don't have the problems most of the country has because we
    do things differently. Not to say they don't have their problems.
    However, people are a lot happier, even if they don't know it (don't
    have the stress, and fast lifestyle). But, like I said, you have your
    values, I have mine, etc. If Kerry stands for what you believe in then
    you are absolutely right in voting for him. I would never fault ya for
    doing what you believe in Bro. Just as I expect not to be mocked for my
    beliefs. I tell you since I started that darn website, I have had to
    learn a lot of tolerance etc. You have die hard Pre-crash fans, die
    hard post-crash fans, ones like me who like em both, and then there are
    the "yankee" fans, then there are the "Southern" fans. What I am
    getting at is, the reason the site took off so fast and so big, is I
    don't allow anyone to get on and bash someone for their beliefs or
    preferences, etc. It is also the reason I am the "ONLY" website that
    the folks in the band will do interviews with. I know it aint politics,
    but I feel that everyone has the right to make their own decision
    without being harassed about it. Now, a little teasing may be ok
    though, lol.

Technical Services

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 5:35 PM
    To: *****
    Subject: Re: Voter Guide/ Know your facts.

You don't want a redneck doing surgery on your child then why would you
    want
    a redneck leading your country?

Lets just leave it there. Thanks for being a good guy either way,,.

Cluetwo..Stole this line from seeking

----- Original Message -----
    To: "Cluetwo"
    Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 5:27 PM
    Subject: RE: Voter Guide/ Know your facts.

> Hey the way I see it neither one of em are my idea of the perfect
    > leader. But ya know us Rednecks, we will vote for the Redneck, lol.
    >
    > Technical Services
    >

4. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

something about machismo and right wing 'values' go hand in hand.

as my dad has said, this is white men, desperate to hang onto the last little bit of power they have.
    it kinda translates to the whole party.

5. oh so modern

oh so modern Member

i think it is like the square/rectangle thing.
    all republicans are hicks, all hicks arent republicans. or something.
    alotta the blue collar sector goes to the dems. socially at least.
    peace.

6. villain

villain Veteran Member

I've been debating on the army website alot lately. I hadn't realized before how open the political discussion was. Anyways something ridiculous like 3/4ths of the army is republican. And quite a few of them are good debaters. But I've been shaking things up alot. Making way for the revolution. ;)

7. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

^good work.

i've wondered about that.

8. Cracksmoka

Cracksmoka Elite Member

yes, yes they are.... that is why bush is so appealing to them......

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

they're also largely A-type personalities that do what they're told and don't question things. i'm sure a large number of cops are republicans too.
    same reason why most entertainers/actors/musicians are democrats.

basically, republicans are just fucking retards. they are not all 'hicks' however. not by a long shot. there are plenty of educated republicans...actually, that's kind of a total oxymoron. ha. forget it.

10. hobo knife

hobo knife Junior Member

It's interesting, because not all republicans are hicks, but most hicks are republican...youve got all these lower income people voting for a candidate that exclusively helps out higher income families. I think theres a lot of reasons for this, most of which are the result of the media....

11. 23578

23578 Elite Member

And all thinkers are democrats, but all democrats aren't thinkers too. I'm 3/5's hick (don't like country, nascar, but tolerate pro wrestling, cheap beer, and hunting) but was helped out from a very early age to see that there is more to the world than the tv cares to tell us. There are lots of democrats here in upstate that would like George Bush to win, I don't know, because hick trumps political allegience for other hicks? Bush's simple mindedness and fake accent reveal enough hick for most of them I guess. I know people like this, and you best believe that they're getting to the polls Nov.2 just like they get up early on Sunday.

12. porque

porque Senior Member

...i think a lot of it boils down to rural people being scared of big city life and changes to the life they're known...alot of rural towns have the same families that have been living there for generations...they don't like chnage...so they see the republicans pushin 'good 'ol american values' and they're all for it...ignorance plays a big part...

13. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

I always tell myself I'm not going to allow myself to be drawn into these discussions, but somehow or another, I always give in to temptation.

You guys should know better than to believe silly statements like "all Republicans are hicks." For the better part of 150 years, the South was completely dominated by the Democratic Party. The Democrats were the party of the South before the Civil War, as well as after the Civil War. All through the 1880's and 1890's, when the Jim Crow laws were passed, the Democrats presided. There were actually shooting wars in the South, one of which occurred about twenty miles from where I live, in the town of Richmond-Rosenburg, Texas, in which the racist, white supremacist Democratic Party shot it out with the Republicans on the grounds of the Fort Bend County Court House, and in the "downtown" area of Richmond-Rosenburg. The fight lasted three days, until Governor Sul Ross could get companies of the Texas militia and several Texas Rangers there to quell the fighting.

The argument was about the Republicans organizing black people to vote, and running a black candidate for Sheriff, in 1896, I believe.

It has been said on this website that some nefarious shift occurred in Republican politics in 1948, and the Party of Lincoln suddenly was over-run by white racists. Does this make sense to you? I agree that the Republican party has become a good deal more conservative than in the past, but the Democratic Party has become much more liberal than in the past. Where BOTH parties at one time had a conservative and a liberal wing, the Republican liberals have largely decamped to the Democrats, and the conservative Democrats have decamped to the Republicans. Neither party has a lock on things like better education, or good national defense, or lower taxes, but to listen to their rhetoric, you might get the idea that the fat-cat Republcans would just be pleased to see everyone starving in the street while they smoke cigars and drink brandy, or that the Democrats are busily undermining the Defense Department, looking for ways to strangle business and recruiting people to welfare just to hasten the death of capitalism.

Both major political parties in the U.S. are dominated by families that have their origins in the up-Eastern Ivy League. Bush may have been a "C" student, but he was a C student from YALE. George H.W. Bush may like to play "oil man" and "Midland cowboy" but he comes from CONNECTICUT, and he also graduated from YALE. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a political candidate for President that does NOT come from an Ivy League school. And the same is true of most of the cabinets of recent Presidents.

You can't have it both ways.

Use your powers of discrimination to sift the wheat from the chaff. If you think that Mr. Kerry would fight the war in Iraq differently, then look into his statements about it. Either he's lying in his speeches, or he intends to rapidly increase troop concentrations in Iraq if elected.

Neither party can do things very much differently than they are doing right now. They run from the extremes (left and right, respectively) but they must GOVERN FROM THE MIDDLE. The government of the United States cannot take an extremist stand for very long. Mr. Clinton found this to be true, so did George H.W. Bush.

No president is perfect. They all wind up facing situations that are nearly unsolvable. Mr. Kerry is driven to the left, trying to appease his more liberal supporters, who are sure to howl, if he gets elected, that they have been betrayed, when he begins to swing back to the center to govern the country.

As far as a political tendency being funded by the super-rich---do you not fing George Soros' investment of millions and millions to defeat George Bush somewhat suspect? What do you suppose Mr. Soros hopes to gain? I know if I spent millions of dollars to help put a Democrat in office, I would expect a lot more than a weekend in the Lincoln bedroom in return.

14. porque

porque Senior Member

...kabar...it's good to see you in these conversations finally, since you're one of the only people that has a vastly different perspective...however...once again you just talked about a bunch of stuff that is completely off topic...150 years ago both parties were completely different, since then we've seen multiple smaller parties be usurped into the main parties and have their views shift accordingly (populist party, the dixiecrats, etc.)...while the history lesson is interesting, it's not very relevant today...
    ...the question raised is why rural areas are more likely to lean to the republican party and versely why educated people are more likely to lean to the democratic party...
    ...as far as George Soros goes...your point has no weight...what's worse? a billionaire investing his own money to stop a politician he doesn't agree with (...a politician, mind you, that completely changed the way races for president are run and will be run from here forth by spending more money than anyone in history)...or a billionaire that invests his money more discreetly and is paid off with cabinet seats and no bid contracts?...you can't complain about the democrats playing the game that carl rove republicans started in the first place...

15. hobo knife

hobo knife Junior Member

I never suggested all Republicans are hicks. I did say most hicks are republican. that could be an overstatement, and the term hick may not be the best choice of words...but the question asked is far from being silly...I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at any group of people, republicans or rural citizens...so dont take this thread the wrong way, and if anyone has I appologize...but I don't think anyone has been able to fully answer the question yet