Arcade Games

omone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

1st off, it's ALL ABOUT pinball, but...

one of the programmers taught me the 'enemies stop shooting' easter egg for Galaga back in 86, so I was always partial to that, and I could get to the end of Super Mario Bros on 1 quarter, I have alot of other favrites... Centipede, Tempest, Robotron, Defender, Frogger, Xevious... but...

The coolest game I ever played, and also eventually beat, was called Cliff Hanger. It was a laser disc game like Dragon's Lair but it was about this guy Cliff, and you had to save a girl, there were ninjas and car chases and a maze-type board in a big clock... SO FRESH!!!

OLD SCHOOL BITCH!!!

Wizard of Wor

Tempest

Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man

Rolling Thunder (able to finish on 1/3 quarter WITHOUT cheats; near the end of the semester my friend and I were so efficient at killing this game that we would finish it and get a LOWER score than people who didn't)

Roadblasters (finished)

Battlezone

Xevius

Tron

Mappy

I Robot

Stunrunner

Narc

I tried Cliffhanger when it first came out, but was inept and chose not to sink major finances into improving.

http://www.klov.com/G/Galaga.html

http://www2.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/G/mGalaga.jpg'>

http://www2.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/G/aGalaga.jpg'>

<span style='color:darkred'>AMEN!Galaga is the best. I have Galaga game at my work, but it has the body of Galaxian.

Here's some tidbits about Galaga... for those who care

Manufacturer: Namco

Year: 1981

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Space

Type: Video Arcade

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster - Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

19-inch Electrohome G07

Conversion Class: Namco Galaga

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls: Joystick: 2-way (left, right) Buttons: 1 - Fire

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Abstract

As a spaceship moving left to right at the bottom of the screen, shoot up at enemies as they enter, assemble in formation and fly down at you. If you allowed an alien to capture one of your ships in its tractor beam, you could shoot the foe later and double your fire power!

Cabinet Information

Namco also produced very small versions of these games, about the size of a 17-inch monitor, for buses and airplanes.

Cheats, Tricks and Bugs

TRICK: If a Galaga's tractor beam starts pulling you in, you will spin about, but you will still be able to shoot at enemies. If you happen to end up shooting upward and destroy the Galaga before you are captured, you will just drop back into play.

TRICK: If you happen to lose a ship to a Galaga and then shoot the Galaga while it is still in formation, the captive ship will remain under enemy control. However, it will only make one attack at you before disappearing. If you allow it to escape, it will return in the next stage (unless it's a Challenge Stage) with another Galaga, giving you another shot at freeing the ship.

CHEAT:There is a well-known cheat that causes enemy units to stop firing. It works on most, but not all, machines.

Here's how it works:On the first stage, kill everything but the two bees in the bottom left corner. Then just wait, dodging the bees' shots, until the bee no longer drops any shots towards you.

After the bees stop firing, let it pass for five more trips or so and then kill them.

For the rest of the game, the enemies will not drop shots. It will take approximately 15 minutes for the bees to quit shooting at you, so this trick requires a lot of patience.

Some people have reported that this trick also works with two bees from the RIGHT side of the screen. Note that in a two-player game, only one person has to do the cheat for both players to benefit.

TRICK: The "Player 1" score counter in Galaga is six digits, but the "Player 2" counter is seven digits. Therefore, most good players start a two-player game and play exclusively on the Player 2 side so their score will not "roll over" at 999990. Challenging stages are easier if the high score numbers are used to refine your aim.

TRICKS:These tips assume a six-digit high score:

On the first two challenging stages, aim your ships so that your left set of bullets falls between the second and third numbers in the high score list. On subsequent challenging stages, aim one set of bullets between the first and second numbers in the high score list (if the units come from the left) or between the last and next-to-last numbers (if the units come from the right). This will allow you to hit descending enemies at the highest possible point value.

If you have more than seven extra men, the marker for the screen will only show 7 1/2 men remaining. Additional extra men will still be credited, even though they will not show on the screen.

Galaga "rolls over" after stage 255. After finishing the 255th level, the screen says "Stage 0" and the machine locks up. I have heard unconfirmed reports in the past that the "Stage 0" problem can be circumvented if the last two numbers in your score at the end of level 255 are (?? 80 is what I remember, but it may be something else).

After the 1000000 mark, new ships are no longer awarded.

BUG: A bug exists in Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga (Namco Galaga, some Midway Galaga, Gallag bootleg and Nebulous Bee bootleg) - Class of '81 that allows a player to play during the Galaga demo screen and even reset the game. The demos are the same for both Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - Class of '81, and the bug works the same way, but the result is a little different between the two Galagas.

During the Galaga demo, the Galaga character comes down and tries to tractor-beam up the player's ship. As soon as that tractor-beam starts, the player can take control of the ship in the demo. The player has two choices here and this will effect how the game handles this bug:

If the player allows himself to be captured, the demo will continue as normal and he has the option of controlling the player ship or not. The player can choose whether to save the captured ship, try to complete the level, etc. The demo mode will complete after 30 seconds and the high-score screen will appear.

If the player takes control of the ship and destroys the Galaga with the tractor beam, he will be able to continue playing until the "normal" demo would have completed. At this point the game will do one of two things depending on whether the person is playing an original Galaga or Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - Class of '81:

Galaga: Some of the characters on the screen will freeze while others are still moving and doing what they are suppose to be doing. This will last 15-20 seconds, then the game will go to the high score screen.

Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - The game will make a loud buzz sound, blank the screen and then show a diagnostics screen with the version number of the games, a RAM and ROM test, etc. This screen will stay for approximately ten seconds before returning to the high score screen. If someone needs to know the version of software on their boardset, this can be a handy way of finding out without opening the cabinet.

Gameplay

Moving along the bottom of the screen, you shoot at the enemies (either in formation or as they fly about). Most enemies are destroyed by one hit, but the Galagas take two hits (they turn blue when hit once). You must avoid being hit by enemies and their fire. You must also be aware of the Galaga's tractor beam, which can capture your ship (a captured ship turns red). To free the captured ship, you must destroy the captor Galaga while it is attacking you, otherwise the captured ship will be destroyed. When you free a captured ship, it will dock alongside your current ship, thus creating a dual ship.

Ships are lost when you are hit by enemies. Dual ships are destroyed individually.</span>

what no love for spy hunter?

come on...dont tell me when you were sitting in the machine and that song came on, you werent the shit!!

side swipping mortorcycles, looking out for the dood with blades coming outta his car, waiting to find the help truck...laying down fat smoke screens or sweet oil slicks....that game rocked

the original wwf game, and street fighter....

ofcourse you guys mentioned pretty much everything else, although a shout goes to shinobi-nice call fugazi, golden ax-right on bug, and cracked with Narc...blow em up shoot em up...

and thanks for explaining dragons lair, i never knew....

so many quarters, so little time.....

Originally posted by Smart

The coolest game I ever played, and also eventually beat, was called Cliff Hanger. It was a laser disc game like Dragon's Lair but it was about this guy Cliff, and you had to save a girl, there were ninjas and car chases and a maze-type board in a big clock... SO FRESH!!!

don't forget Space Ace. That was also a great animated game, Came out right after Dragon's Lair. Dragons Lair 2 came out in the early nineties, but i didn't like it as much as the original.

Another fantastic thread!

I went to the minigolf and go-cart fun zone arcade and the games SUCK! They are all the sit and play and they all cost a buck and only last a bout a minute - even really good players only play for a few minutes. I miss the dark arcades of yesterday.

Best games: Tempest is an awesome game. I first color vectorscop game I think.

Centipede is still a great game. Are there any other ball-roller games besides Centipede and Marble Madness?

Galaga - gotta get the double ship. The coctail table version is my favorite.

Bank Panic was my favorite as a youngster. I got to bars now just to play classic arcade and pinball games.

I've been playiong Warlords a bunch on the PS1

Archived