Arab HandStyles

Guest --zeSto--

Guest --zeSto--

I've been watching CNN too much lately,

and I've become fascinated with Arabic Calligraphy.

Here's my first aptempts...

these were done without any real form of reference...

so dont take offence if it reads "Bite Me Ali"

http://www.seemesmile.com/photos2/1124988a.jpg'>

http://www.seemesmile.com/photos2/1124985a.jpg'>

http://www.seemesmile.com/photos2/1124946a.jpg'>

well... comments?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah.... shit.. lets just rape.. them of everything and then talk shit about them..

i love how americans think they can just appropriate aesthetics... no responsibility.

no offense..

but fuck that.

go buy (if you care to fuel the capitalist market theyre so damn pissed about)... and get a book.. and fucking learn arabic..

that half ass aesthetic because it looks cool excuse doesnt fly with me.

if youre gonna do it.. do it right.

im a fucking asshole.. excuse me.-bob

Guest --zeSto--

hey bob.. I agree 100% about doing it right. I've found the resources.

I'm just trying to recreate the look of their letters. Not their meanings.

zemone.. I hope you aren't serious.

If I had done mock Japanese or Russian or Hindu letters, would people act as pissed>?

Guest --zeSto--

and as a further retort to Bob Hope...

1. I'm not American

2. I've read a great deal about Islam

3. I'm interested in the art of the caligraphy.

4. When did art place a restriction on "appropriat[ing] aesthetics"

and this graffiti thing we do has been extremely into appropriating other styles.

Look at the influx and influence of anime, bode, rave flyers etc.

Am I raping Japan if I draw a giant robot?

if you dont like it.. fine.

But dont put this on some religious / political agenda.

zesto.. i just had to say it. ... if youre researching about it... then good for you..

im not trying to take this to some religious level.. im just saying theres a certain amount of cultural respect thats required in such matters..

the same reason it pisses me off to see plastic little christmas lites shaped like buddha.. on sale at urban outfitters.

if you dont get what im getting at... then it doesnt apply to you. but im guess you do.

Guest --zeSto--

In terms of cultural tolerance...

I dont feel that I'm doing anything wrong.

I want to learn this what it's all about,

and not so I can sell little knick-nacks to yuppies.

I did make some sort of disclaimer at the beginning.

It could have been more all-encompasing.

oh just fuck the bullshit all he wanted to know is if it looked okay, not what your fucking political point of view on arabic manuscript was. an yes, for your first shit, it looks good, i assume you just threw it together to see where you could take it, but if you ask me, put some time into it, clean it up and have it say something (which i know you stated you planned on doing) yes it very well does got some damn potential.

Originally posted by BoB Hope ONER

im not trying to take this to some religious level.. im just saying theres a certain amount of cultural respect thats required in such matters..

Dude...im sorry to butt in, but your fucking word is BOB HOPE...cultural respect my ass...practice what you preach homeboy, or dont preach

Guest KING OF HELL

THE KING OF HELL thinks its fresh t mess around with other styles. WE use celtic letters qhuite a bit. but WE also read up and try to do them right. there are certain characteristics about writings and letters in other cultures that you have to have for it to work.

by the way..has anoyone seen TWISTS old faux arabic looking twist tags?????? sick is HELL....

Guest imported_Tesseract

theres a certain amount of cultural respect thats required in such matters..

the same reason it pisses me off to see plastic little christmas lites shaped like buddha.. on sale at urban outfitters.

Guest imported_Tesseract

theres a certain amount of cultural respect thats required in such matters..

Bob, there is a big difference beetween those 2 things.

Plastic Buddhas are a joke.

Calligraphy is related directly to what we do.

Zesto,me,you, anyone here can draw some inspiration just by the form of what we see.

You dont have to be a middle east expert to apreciate calligraphy and form.Especially when the angle you see things from is focused on a very paticular thing.

Go zesto Go !i

Appropriation of other cultures is the American way, and the graffiti way as well. So anyways Zesto, I too am a fan of foreign calligraphy and cultural hand styles. I think you did a nice job, they look different and pretty clean. I can't really read anything out of them, so just looking at form and stroke they are nice.

I don't understand why people get so uptight about shit like this. Give Zesto some credit, he's not trying to bite some played out cholostyles, philly style, or whatever. He's trying to innovate something different, inspired from something that is separate from graffiti. I say that's what more writers should try to do, instead of bickering.

Guest --zeSto--

I'm glad some people are into oushing the envelope.

this is what inspired me...

calgrid.gif

ART03.GIF

ART06.GIF

bismi13.jpg

It's impossible not to see some kind of connection between what we

try do do, and what some sufi's have made into a lifelong process.

This is the art of the letterform, something we also practice.

ive been fucking with arab handstyles for about a good year now. its something like any language that must be done properly (if you are using their letters) or you could wreck the whole thing without even knowing it. my cousin who speaks and writes about 10 languages fluently tried to teach me how to write it and let me tell you its so diffucult..... one dot could be the changing factor in the difference between writing dogfood and shopping cart. as they dont use all the letters we do theres quite a few missing and certain letters combined make new sounds and letters..... also..... trying to write without vowels isnt that easy either. and the whoe writing the other way is tough too. man am i rambling about useless facts. yeah. ive been trying to play with arab styles for a while now....

Guest --zeSto--

clickright here!

(links to another post)

this guy has a great understanding of the arabic hand,

which really shines through in the work.

This is a perfect example of the inluence an understanding of the art of lettering

can have on a writers work.

Enjoy!

you know what ill take back my remarks.. soley because i feel what im saying doesnt apply to graffiti writers more so to conversations ive been having earlier today about similar matters... specifically race and reperations.

so... i apologize.

graffiti writers.. to some extent have more respect to letters and writting then most other people ever do... your right...

so that wasnt an attack at you.

...there im a man enough to apologize.

Archived