Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

apple computers: g5

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by THANKYOU, Jun 16, 2006.

1. THANKYOU

THANKYOU Elite Member

anyone own one? man im ready to throw down like $7 g's to get one with the quad dual core processors, about 2 gigs memory, and the 30 inch monitor. so sweet.

whats good on apple discounts? anyone know where to find some good coupons? how much do their employees get as a discount? anyone know?

discuss

2. i have a dual core g5 running OS 10.4 and 4.5 ram... blue tooth/infrared/wifi... i love my machine... look into a terabyte drive to keep your info in. it processes data seemlessly... i hate my pc at this point

i also bought a 20" inch cinema display and a sony dsr 11 dvcam deck...

im looking into the 30" real soon here....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  3. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

I have a free laptop that overheats from time to time.

If I can find a way to um, "get a great discount" on a g5. Id be on that with all the focus in my life.

4. and if u do get a/any external HD i would strongly recommend that u find one with a firewire 800

you will thank me later, trust me

5. THANKYOU

THANKYOU Elite Member

yea man, those mac commercials are killer. got me thinking about selling all kindsa shit (few ocmputers / video cam / guns / 400 cd/dvd changer to try to get my g5. haha.

we'll see.

6. one_haole

one_haole New Jack

i got a 20" g5 if your into graphics its the shit to have. tell them your in college and you'll get a pretty good deal.

7. AyeBee

AyeBee Veteran Member

A few years ago I spent like $2500 on my Sony Vaio, then I realized I don't use it for anything but AIM and the internet

God I wish I'd gotten a fuckin Dell

8. AyeBee

AyeBee Veteran Member

9. dirtydoses

dirtydoses Veteran Member

i have a G5, its sweet.

but i recently got a macbook pro, and that has been my main machine lately.

but all in all, apple=dope.

10. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

You could buy a PC for half that price that would be just as powerful, but you'd have to know enough about computers to build it yourself, or at least pick out the parts.

These new Apple commercials are stupid. There's no viruses for Macs because nobody uses them and because you can't program shit on a Mac without buying expensive software. And Macs could run Windows 95 when it came out, but it was pointless and it ran like shit and nobody cared. You can run Mac OS on a PC, anyway, and it's pointless and runs like shit. You can also run entire video game systems on your PC like Genesis, SNES, N-64, etc etc. Macs are great if you want a computer that runs solidly if you're going to just use the internet and word processors. And they're great if you're going to spend $1300 to run high-end video and audio software. But Macs and PCs are apples and oranges. Apple is making a big mistake trying to, once again, compare them as being on the same playing field.

11. Deptronik

Deptronik Member

quite true fermentor...i love and use my pc quite a lot, its' semi old and a p.o.s. but i'd love a g5 just to sit on all day dl'ing music, chillin on illustrator and photoshop. they're great for that.

12. BadWithNames

BadWithNames Member

yeah rock a G5 but i really want a mac mini core duo, apart from the shitty grapics chip those little
    mothers are the shit

13. SPORTO

SPORTO Senior Member

PC VS MAC debate is dead & buried.

So it was, Mac for graphics, motion & music, PC's for programing & program choice,
    though most pro 3D rendering suites are run a XP PC bases, or even custom linux programs, and that said Adobe products run nicely on PC'S.

Anyways most people who are in that line of work owen both,
    PC's are shit cheap these days, & with the new 'Boot camp' runing on
    the new intel Macs, you have the choice. Shame it doesnt work like 'Virtual PC'
    were in you chould jump from Windows to OSX & visa versa.
    Though I found that to be unstable.

I agree though, most new macs are targeted at the new customer base aquired through iPod owners. Also the Adobe Creative CS packages cannot take advantage of the
    new 'Intel' chips power, we have to wait for 'CS 3' versions.

SO WERE THE FUCK ARE THE NEW G5 LAPTOPS?

I've been holding out for ever, my Mac is getting long in the thooth,
    and with every new OSX update the speed reduces.

14. psyone

psyone New Jack

YALL, if i were you i'd be waiting for the next generation of Powermacs which is supposed to come out in late fall 06. the quad is a monster indeed, but i argue that support for PPCcore based Macs is running out soon. not sure about that though.

not true. nearly all developertools you'll need including a debugger come with a fresh copy of OSX. there's also a very good online documentation in the package. a comparable suite for Windows can cost you easy $300 or more.

wrong. at that time Apple still used Motorola 68k type processors, there was no way to run Windows on a Mac, except if u were using an emulator like MS VirtualPC, which was first released in 1997, over 2 years after Win95 emerged.

that is not an official version made by Apple, therefore you can't expect full functionality. ever tried running MacOS on a Mac?

15. Evangelion>Ogre

Evangelion>Ogre Senior Member

I thought those were nothing more than a pipe dream, now that Intel is making the processors..
    I'm fairly certain there is no such thing as G4, G5 anymore..The MacBook Pro is supposed to be the new big boy on the block..

But then, I could be wrong.