aphex twin

Guest fr8lover

Guest fr8lover

maybe someone had a thread about him before, but its gone now..

the guy is a genius, and the compositions he creates are some of the most next level shit you will ever hear...

if you dont get goosebumps after hearing songs like "on," "alberto balsalm" or "girl/boy song" then you arent human...

what are all your favorite songs? anyone have the opportunity to have ever seen him live?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh yea, i saw him live a few years back, it was pretty much the most insane show i ever saw. he was lying on the stage looking into his laptop(mind you this was before the huge craze to use laptops live)all relaxed whilst the most incredibly loud earsplitting noise morphed into the most utterly insanely beautiful melody and sickest breaks ever......i have a couple of his live performances on minidisc too.

the only other show that was on par was autechre.....they were fuckin' way too insane as well.

Guest fr8lover

ahhhhhhhh you bastard...you are lucky.

its hard to even begin to technically have all the stuff hes done...here is a not complete discography

http://www.this-adress.co.uk/aphex.htm

i have all his eps, albums...but not half of the other stuff, not to mention all the different aliases he has..

yea, he has way too much shit, but alot of it isn't that great, just becuz its

rare or whatever....

his old stuff tends to be really 4 to the floor techno crap, which i

personally am not a fan of. for me he started to get really interesting after

i care becuz you do.....just a personal preference, i still love his first album.

i had gak, hangable autobulb, etc.etc.etc....but they and about $6000 worth of other shit got scammed last summer from the storage locker i had. weak.

this chick i used to live with met him at a club in london about 2years ago.

no super greasy details to speak of, he was nice, they

bullshatted for 2 seconds, over.

its funny how alot of breakbeat shit and 'electronica' stuff is now catching up with the shit he did in 97 in terms of micro-editing, melodies etc.....

[This message has been edited by brown twinkie (edited 06-04-2001).]

Originally posted by scienxe:

hell yes. aphex twin is definitely rockin like dokken. hmm. anyone hear the new boredoms lp? they arent a noise band anymore apparently?! its some really really good techno.

-scienxe

rockin' like dokken!!!!! do i know you scienxe???? man, only me and my boys know shit like that! ahh, whatever happened to mr. don dokken eh?

haven't heard new boredoms.............its techno? hmm, thats interesting for them...

yamatsuka eye is one of my favourite persons to read about/listen to.

if you like him too, you should pick up YaniYani, the collaboration he did with john zorn, its fuckin' wicked.

Originally posted by brown twinkie:

rockin' like dokken!!!!! do i know you scienxe???? man, only me and my boys know shit like that! ahh, whatever happened to mr. don dokken eh?

haven't heard new boredoms.............its techno? hmm, thats interesting for them...

yamatsuka eye is one of my favourite persons to read about/listen to.

if you like him too, you should pick up YaniYani, the collaboration he did with john zorn, its fuckin' wicked.

heh. i may have met you at some point because i meet like 5000000 people every week travelling. but me and my friends in philly say rockin like dokken. i dont know anyone who writes (atleast that i know of.)

oh. ive heard of yaniyani, but haven't checked it out yet. i plan on it though. i wish techno vinyl was cheaper ::sigh::

-scienxe

Yeah, he's definitely ahead of his time. Much in the same way Kraftwerk were in the mid-seventies. I couldn't imagine creating music like that. I know it inspires me often in what I create though.

I had the chance to see Autechre last week and I forgot about the show till a few days later. Talk about pissed. They have to be my favorite band right now.

U-ziq are also pretty good. I have a few ep's from them and listen to them often.

The first few Oval CD's are really good if you get the chance to get a listen. I recently picked up a CD that was in a clear round flimsy case, with no text on it. And no text on the CD. But the music is so good. I just wish I knew who the hell it was.

I also have a poo load of Merzbow stuff and other like_minded artists. From noise to electronic. I can listen to it for hours and get so inspired. Just the soundscapes can be so amazing...

Yeah, I like abstract electronica... can you tell?

------------------

jokerihubaTranscend

Originally posted by Joker:

Yeah, he's definitely ahead of his time. Much in the same way Kraftwerk were in the mid-seventies. I couldn't imagine creating music like that. I know it inspires me often in what I create though.

I had the chance to see Autechre last week and I forgot about the show till a few days later. Talk about pissed. They have to be my favorite band right now.

U-ziq are also pretty good. I have a few ep's from them and listen to them often.

The first few Oval CD's are really good if you get the chance to get a listen. I recently picked up a CD that was in a clear round flimsy case, with no text on it. And no text on the CD. But the music is so good. I just wish I knew who the hell it was.

I also have a poo load of Merzbow stuff and other like_minded artists. From noise to electronic. I can listen to it for hours and get so inspired. Just the soundscapes can be so amazing...

Yeah, I like abstract electronica... can you tell?

dood,i've been killing that shit for years.....i have stuff by all those people.

i've dropped alot of music shit on this site and nobody has picked me up on it....go buy fennesz stuff or pita...anything on mego label. that clear cd might

be a raster-noton release(?)...

good to know there's someone with similar tastes on here.

we should exchange packages of toons, i have tons of water tight shit you'd love.

[This message has been edited by brown twinkie (edited 06-05-2001).]

You're right... it is a rastor music CD. I could have sworn there was no text on this thing when I bought it. But... there it is. Real little though. I guess it's one of twelve releases. Now how in the hell am I going to get all twelve?

Knowing that there are other writers out there who listen to the same stuff I do is refreshing. It had me pulling out CD's last night that I hadn't listened to for years. Bands like Ruins, Vidna Obmana and another underated old band... ClockDVA. I even found this fabric cover caseing for a Spybey:Theriault collaboration CD that is also pretty damn good. Some of this stuff I haven't played for a few years. Now It's resparking my interest. Unfortunately, I have things on LP also, but don't own a record player. Never have. I bought them at a time when I had a room mate who did own a player. Some old NON stuff... Sixth Comm, Christian Death, Death in June, Joy Division and my prized collection of Kraftwerk vinyl. Something no electronic kid should be without.

Brown... I'd be down to trade a package of toons anytime. You probably have everything I do though.

------------------

jokerihubaTranscend

Guest cocaine mustache

richard d. james, the album is in my top ten albums of all time. a masterpiece by any way of looking at it.

joker, have you heard anything from the san fransciso idm thing they have going down there. kid 606? matmos? good stuff..

damn,twinkie,my girlfriend just brought home a matmos album,the one using the scalpols and liposuction tools.were listening to it right now for the first time,very interesting stuff.aphex twin...my all time favorite,i d have almost everything hes put out,all on vinyl,and some on very rare clored vinyl,im so into his music,selected abient works vol 2. my all time favorite.twinkie,joker,fr8lover,have either of you heard the new autechre??its soooo good,a must own,i just saw them at the detroit electronic music fest,they were amazing.also try to get ahold of chris clark's new album called clarence park,one of the most beuatiful albums ive heard in a while.this is directed to all 3 of you,i wouldnt mind making you tapes of some of the stuff i have(aphex,autechre,chis clark,electronic whatever)email me if your interested.does anyone here listen to seefeel??another one of my favorites.seefeel,soccour,great album.

[This message has been edited by DIBS (edited 06-05-2001).]

yo dood, the new autechre is wicked........i find it really...claustrophobic. my favourite is still ep7 though, that shit is crushin'....

i had the chance to see them again last month, but i was fuckin' broke.

um.....chris clark...yea i've got that, pretty tasty shit for sure. warp is the shit.

i used to dig seefeel too, succour, got that one.

it sounds like you've got really similar shit to me, i picked up on joker cuz he's into merzbow and oval stuff.....i'm really into all the new laptop noise stuff these days and a bunch of other shit, but if you're into hearing some really new stuff holler. i love makin' tapes for people.

if you like the warp stuff, you'll love Cex.....on kid606's label....the album is called...'role model'.....american.

i haven't scooped up new matmos, i've heard plenty about it though. sounds sweet.

man, i could blather forever on toons, i'm a fuckin' fiend.

i'm down for tapes galore.

See... I feel like I'm slippin' now.

It's a good thing I got paid today...

Nah. Haven't heard any of that Kid606 or any of that other stuff. Didn't know nothing about no aliases. I had no idea Autechre had a new album.

See what happens when you submerge yourself in to your home, and don't go out except to ride your bike? You get caught slippin'...

------------------

jokerihubaTranscend

brownie,we should definitly do a trade of tapes,email me and give me a lil list of stuff you want,we definitly have similar tastes in music and our collections seem to reflect that,ive got alot of old warp stuff,artificial intelligence 2 comp,mouse on mars older stuff etc etc.or i can just make tapes of random stuff.let me know,i love to make tapes so this will be fun.in the list make sure you tell me what aphex stuff you have,or used to have(i remember you telling me you lost some of your collection)and ill copy you a bunch of aphex stuff too.

Guest fr8lover

i havent heard the new autechre...but ill definetely agree that ep7 is my favorite too...i only have it on vinyl, i want a copy to travel with..

Archived