aNYthing

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 11 months later...

anything-769325.jpg

When it comes to "street culture," you don't need to look further than A-ron the Don aka Downtown Don aka Browntown Ron aka... nevermind.

For years, A-ron was the "face" of Supreme, but ventured off to build aNYthing (A NEW YORK THING), his own brand and creative outlet. aNYthing reflects A-ron's pride in his city, and appropriately, the Don has just added to NYC's character by opening the aNYthing store, and launching a unique website. You'll be hard-pressed to find another A-ron interview, so take what you can. While supplies last...

A-ron: Go ahead, set it off.

The Hundreds: Word? You set?

A-ron: Let’s just start and see what happens.

TH: Haha OK.

A-ron: So I’m launching my site tonight at midnight.

TH: What's it all about?

A-ron: Midnight, the ball drops. New year, new wave.

TH: Why'd you decide to make a website? You purposefully stayed away from that for a while…

A-ron: I never said that! I come from a camp that was all word-of-mouth, it’s tough trying to build a brand and then a site which is a whole other project… It evolved to it, we did the Kid America site 5 yrs ago and now it’s my turn. Plus, the net is evolving everyday, who knows… but there’s some shit missing in my eyes… The internet is hyped, hundreds of brilliant people on it, everybody slams on the internet, all cool hunted being so high.

TH: What do you think it’s gonna do for our culture though? Especially someone like you, who has been a founding father of street culture… it’s gone from streets to screens. Do you think that’s gonna change things?

A-ron: In Los Angeles - one of the brick layers of street style - i like to think - is Paul Takahashi. We see the effect of the internet so we kind of got an idea where it’s going. So let’s experience as we go, and it goes… It already has changed things. I own a DVD shop...

TH: What?

A-ron: It opens Monday... plus, I do a movie party once a month with a lot of young directors, video artists,…

TH: You're really into film…

A-ron: I’m not really a movie head, don’t see much, got no knowledge of it, but experiences. I do love a camera -- the power to create full on. I love when friends make productions. These days you could make a blockbuster hit while taking a shit. “Blockbuster hit� might be different in my eyes than what people expect! You make a video and complete it, that’s a skill and if it’s actually good, I’m psyched. Raising the BAR.

TH: Hahaha word... Alright we kinda jumped right into things, but for everyone out the loop, tell us your name, where you're from, and what you would say it is that you DO.

A-ron: Aaron Bondaroff. A-ron…dirty rotten… to Downtown Don. That name started in Junior High and followed me and grew up as I did. What I do… acting natural, this is all I know. What I do, I think some kids go to college and get titles for certain things they learn. I do it as instinct. You tell me what I do, I want to hear it from you.

TH: Hahaha. The general overview? You are A-ron the Don. You are the creative genius behind the aNYthing brand. For years, you were the unofficial face of Supreme. You are New York. You are Puerto Rican and Jewish. And you are about to unleash the aNYthing store onto the world. How's that?

A-ron: Good enough...

TH: Why make clothes? Why do you do it?

A-ron: I still don’t believe I make clothes. I’m just having fun with my friends snapping. I can’t front like I’m a designer. I know some talented designers though -- I like hanging out with them, maybe they will do something for me. Let me ask… hold on... Dope, they said they were down, it’s on now!

TH: Hahaha…Now tell us about the aNYthing store.

A-ron: aNYthing store: a day club, a "venue" so important for growth. I have a knowledge of stores in NYC since the late eighties, I know what drew me to the city as youngster, the excitement, the hidden treasures all bright-eyed discovering stores, scenes, looks… I want to bring that feeling back... I take elements of retail history in NY and combine and weave out the fuller, and direct on the gems... I create a house, a completive one, but when you are competing with your own team, you rise, I rise, it’s positive.

TH: Word...

A-ron: NY is a nightlife town, you know… a lot of people there for late night antics, party style, but don’t realize we all are creative people. And we actually do complete things, so now I made a home for all the derils, the Gangstore.

TH: What are you gonna carry in the shop? Or is it more a place just to kick it?

A-ron: I’m into hard good these days. Mix CD's, albums, 7inch, 12inches, wax, ‘zines, books, vintage and now, DVD, videos. Stuff that inspires us to be who we are, try to educate people on how important your timeline is, and keeping the tradition of our city by adding on to its time line. But of course the classic street style, the new vintage, like early 90's… There are so many different elements, just sit tight… by the time this airs, the shop will be open.

TH: Dope. It's a different type of store. A lifestyle store. That's how I've always wanted to make our store if we ever made one, just because our life isn't just about t-shirts and clothes. It's about all this other stuff creative people are into. So tell me about New York right now. Stash has that whole "I miss the Old New York" thing goin'... Do you feel the same way?

A-ron: Ha, funny you say that, I originally liked that campaign but was just saying to myself the other day when I seen a flyer for a party, that slogan is kind of negative… NY definitely has been on the decline in the past 10 years… even more. It ain’t what it was, lost a lot of edge, but I am about the genre I call NOW. I love my life. I ain’t turning my back on this city yet, there are a lot of talented artists creating. I am all about the timeline: 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s… NOW. My circle is heavily involved with the times now… the flyer was even for one of my parties that I started so it was a NOW event with a THEN slogan... the Project Dragon, Recon, Nort crew got a new shop, check it out! They play a part and are still adding to the city’s timeline...

TH: So what else? What do you think the readers wanna hear about?

A-ron: You’re the reader so you tell me.

TH: Wanna talk about your history with Supreme?

A-ron: I know you do!

TH: Ha. I don't, to tell you the truth. But I know the kids out there are curious as to that aspect of A-ron…

A-ron: Niggas know.

TH: Cool. Any last requests?

A-ron: "As I raise the bar, you guys fail the bar".... aNYthing x hundreds collabo. That’s the title.

TH: Haha… I hate you.

sleepy.jpg

bff.jpg

durag.jpg

mex.menace.jpg

kidz.jpg

coney.jpg

smoke.jpg

dunrise1.jpg

hunter.jpg

http://www.thehundreds.com

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest fr8lover
Originally posted by -40 trooper@Mar 7 2006, 07:40 PM

i dont get the easy's spirit one with casper??...can someone explain?

the friends shirt with the knife is dope

since eazy-e is dead, one might believe that his ghost (or ghosts) still roam around. one of them has a gun, one of them is smoking weed, and one is drinking a 40.

Guest -40 trooper
Originally posted by fr8lover+Mar 9 2006, 10:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fr8lover - Mar 9 2006, 10:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin--40 trooper@Mar 7 2006, 07:40 PM

i dont get the easy's spirit one with casper??...can someone explain?

the friends shirt with the knife is dope

since eazy-e is dead, one might believe that his ghost (or ghosts) still roam around. one of them has a gun, one of them is smoking weed, and one is drinking a 40.

[/b]

yea that's what i figured, i was kinda hoping there was a less gay explaination

• 2 weeks later...

From the Village Voice:

Fashion Forward

aNYthing to Be Hip

Kid America Alum Opens Shop on Hester

by Nina Lalli

March 20th, 2006 1:08 PM

Shopping for a stylish man in his twenties is nearly impossible unless he's gay or needs a new wallet. In fact, shopping for anything in New York tends to stir up monetary panic, but men's clothing seems particularly impossible.

With the ancient Gertel's Bakery on the left and a Chinese grocery store on the right, aNYthing represents a more recent development on Hester Street: the $170 T-shirt.

The store, called "A New York Thing", comes from Aaron Bondaroff, known as "A-ron the Don," and even better known as "one of the Kid America guys." Kid America was a humorous cable access show that combined street culture with the innocent irreverence of Sesame Street. A-ron hosted a talk show segment for the show. Also on his resume: working with notoriously hip retailers Supreme and Stussy.

The $170 T-shirts do have skulls on them, but that just doesn't seem like enough to justify the price. At aNYhing, it doesn't even feel like they want you to buy anything. You can, if you want. No one looks at you in the tiny store unless you're one of A-ron's many friends and associates. It seems more like headquarters for the man who is a brand than a retail endeavor.

Women's stores zero in on a girl's desire to look good. She wants to be stylish, but the trend of the moment is also what she has been brainwashed into thinking is flattering. The better the clothes fit, the more flattering they are, and that's something you pay for, or what you try to fake. But for men's casual clothes, the cuts only vary so much. What's for sale, at least for young guys who care about these things, is coolness. These men don't want to hear that they'll look beautiful if they buy a certain hoodie or pair of sneakers, but wearable status symbols get them every time.

This has always been true, but the sought-after items have spiraled out of control, from Jordans and Kangols to Bape sweatshirts and limited edition Dunks. It used to be just a question of getting it first, since the coveted items were widely available. Now, it's a challenge to even hear about something before it's over. Then it is priced beyond imagination. If you've heard of it, don't buy it. If there are more than 100 of them circulating, it's over. If it is carried in more than one store, forget it. If it wasn't designed by a 19 year-old Japanese guy, it's out. And if it's inexpensive, how could it be exclusive?

It's hard being a man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...