Anyone else have ADHD?

Grandpa

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

well, there are some differences in all the meds, such as ritalin, which you take over a period of time and works like prilosec in that it takes a while to build up to working.

Adderall is the only actual prn or as needed adhd medicine.

Strattera works in a completely different way as the others as it isnt an amphetamine and also takes about a week to actually get working. But like most drugs, its all person specific.

But, working in a pharmacy, i have learned that adhd is a cop out excuse for why kids fail

"danny only got a b"

"well, he must be adhd, put him on adderall"

I have add.

adhd probably.

however, the school system is so substandard it’s ridiculous.

add meds are neurological pathway changing meds. I like my neurological pathways. im just more intelligent and kind of hyper than the school system was equipped to deal with. so instead i learned about gangs, drugs, and graffiti. far more interesting than geometry and "american" history.

i fucking hated p.e.

now i smoke a mild amount of marijauna to treat it...

But those meds are nothing more than pharmaceutical speed.

geomotry is interesting. i take that back.

american schools are shit. its a giant setup for the prison system. they bore the kids, understaff the schools, the kids themselfes are ridiculously harsh to eachother....the resources suck and they dont even prepare you for a college level education. then they make a ton of money selling speed as medicine for it.

The way i see it these medications are like brainwash used to mold kids who may not be conforming in the right way. But really u dont need it. Society has a false reality about how you should act and live that sometimes can never be achieved and when some kids cant meet up to these false standards they are diagnosed with disorders. The same reason so many sdults are on anti-depressants. They cant meet up to standards they see on tv so they may get depressed and even do insane things and act crazy so they end up taking medication.

That is just my philosophy dealing with things like that.

i didnt know this, but in depression there are stages and of course on of the stages is suicidal thoughts. well, when you get on an anti-depressant, it brings you back up through all the stages, which is why people still kill themselves, because they are coming back up through that stage....

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 02:55 AM

well, there are some differences in all the meds, such as ritalin,

But, working in a pharmacy, i have learned that adhd is a cop out excuse for why kids fail

"danny only got a b"

Wow, working in a pharmacy. That's some education you've got right there.... enough to make a judgement contradicting research done by hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of people with doctrate level educations :rolleyes:

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 03:08 AM

yes, that is all they are. we have a doctor on campus that gives adderall xr to almost anyone who wants it, she even gives out a free coupon that lets you get it for free, i mean, come on,,,,this is not the way to treat a problem...

Diagnosing ADHD is primarily a clinical judgement, or a result of a TOVA analysis. If your doctor is really over prescribing, you should report her to the APA.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 03:55 AM

i didnt know this, but in depression there are stages and of course on of the stages is suicidal thoughts. well, when you get on an anti-depressant, it brings you back up through all the stages, which is why people still kill themselves, because they are coming back up through that stage....

Another piece of false information... check into the research.

Originally posted by Hacer92@Dec 7 2004, 03:42 AM

The way i see it these medications are like brainwash used to mold kids who may not be conforming in the right way. But really u dont need it. Society has a false reality about how you should act and live that sometimes can never be achieved and when some kids cant meet up to these false standards they are diagnosed with disorders. The same reason so many sdults are on anti-depressants. They cant meet up to standards they see on tv so they may get depressed and even do insane things and act crazy so they end up taking medication.

That is just my philosophy dealing with things like that.

And to think, all this time I thought people were becoming depressed because of an imbalance in Seratonin levels, when all along I could have come on 12oz to learn it was from watching television and becoming sad.

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 6 2004, 11:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 6 2004, 11:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

"danny only got a b"

Wow, working in a pharmacy. That's some education you've got right there.... enough to make a judgement contradicting research done by hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of people with doctrate level educations :rolleyes:

[/b]

Originally posted by Fugazi@Dec 6 2004, 11:12 PM

yes, that is all they are. we have a doctor on campus that gives adderall xr to almost anyone who wants it, she even gives out a free coupon that lets you get it for free, i mean, come on,,,,this is not the way to treat a problem...

Diagnosing ADHD is primarily a clinical judgement, or a result of a TOVA analysis. If your doctor is really over prescribing, you should report her to the APA.

Originally posted by Fugazi@Dec 6 2004, 11:16 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 03:55 AM

are you a doctor? im just going by what is told to me and what i hear from the pharmacists, and doing research would probably be a good idea, you are right there. However, As many people believe the same way that i do, people feel that the universal answer to all of school problems and hyper issues is to give someone adderall. As most of the patients that come into the pharamacy I know personally or have run across at some point, i will say that yes, i can judge that most of them dont need adderall. I have had a select few friends who i know who did do well with it because it was really needed.

However, just because a few kids need it, is by no means a reason to give it to every kid who isnt doing well in school. Addreall, ritalin, concerta, strattera, they are all way over perscribed.

What exactly do you do fugazi, just out of curiosity.

Edit*Plus fugazi, if you click "quote" on multiple posts, you can put them all in one post, as i just did.

Originally posted by society_kills@Dec 7 2004, 03:04 AM

I have add.

adhd probably.

add meds are neurological pathway changing meds. I like my neurological pathways. im just more intelligent and kind of hyper than the school system was equipped to deal with. so instead i learned about gangs, drugs, and graffiti. far more interesting than geometry and "american" history.

now i smoke a mild amount of marijauna to treat it...

But those meds are nothing more than pharmaceutical speed.

Hmmm. Well, current research indicates that the exact mechanism of ADHD and ADD medication is not known (other than it stimulates an area of the prefrontal cortex). If you know anything about the saliency of neural pathways, you'd understand that it's nearly impossible (if not completely) to change "neural pathways" via chemicals.

Smoking marijuana to treat ADHD? Interesting. As marijuana wouldn't have any effect on ADHD, as it isn't a stimulant, and doesn't work like the non-stimulant ADHD medications, it's interesting to hear that you're experiencing a placebo effect.

School systems do have a difficulty dealing with the "above-average" intelligence student. Don't pat yourself on the back quite so quickly though, as many people who have ADHD and are above average in intelligence actually do "worthwhile" things with their lives.

Originally posted by Grandpa+Dec 7 2004, 02:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grandpa - Dec 7 2004, 02:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey I've been on Concerta for a while now but I was curious as to how well other ADHD meds work. Anyone been on more than one and have anything to say about the differences and stuff?

[/b]

Individual differences come into play regarding medication; how well do you feel Concerta is working for you? If you don't like it, I would switch. Straterra (sp?) is interesting, but not something I would try. Adderall XR is an interesting experience, and very effective.

Originally posted by Grandpa@Dec 7 2004, 04:18 AM

i wasnt put on concerta because im a dumbass in school, i just cant focus..i go to one of the top colleges in america but i cant study for more than 5 minutes without being distracted...it helps me to focus

What college? I'm glad you're on medication.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Fugazi@Dec 6 2004, 11:11 PM

"danny only got a b"

are you a doctor? im just going by what is told to me and what i hear from the pharmacists, and doing research would probably be a good idea, you are right there. However, As many people believe the same way that i do, people feel that the universal answer to all of school problems and hyper issues is to give someone adderall. As most of the patients that come into the pharamacy I know personally or have run across at some point, i will say that yes, i can judge that most of them dont need adderall. I have had a select few friends who i know who did do well with it because it was really needed.

However, just because a few kids need it, is by no means a reason to give it to every kid who isnt doing well in school. Addreall, ritalin, concerta, strattera, they are all way over perscribed.

Edit*Plus fugazi, if you click "quote" on multiple posts, you can put them all in one post, as i just did.

Thanks for the tip on the quoting. I completed my undergraduate work with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and am currently working on a Master of Arts in Applied Psychology, and a credential in School Psychology. I will be applying to doctrate level schools once I have finished my thesis, probably in the spring of 2006. The over-prescription of medication is an interesting topic, which I don't really feel like debating right now. Some people don't need meds. Others do.

Originally posted by Fugazi+Dec 6 2004, 11:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fugazi - Dec 6 2004, 11:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Grandpa@Dec 7 2004, 02:50 AM

Hey I've been on Concerta for a while now but I was curious as to how well other ADHD meds work.  Anyone been on more than one and have anything to say about the differences and stuff?

Individual differences come into play regarding medication; how well do you feel Concerta is working for you? If you don't like it, I would switch. Straterra (sp?) is interesting, but not something I would try. Adderall XR is an interesting experience, and very effective.

Originally posted by Grandpa@Dec 7 2004, 04:18 AM

i wasnt put on concerta because im a dumbass in school, i just cant focus..i go to one of the top colleges in america but i cant study for more than 5 minutes without being distracted...it helps me to focus

What college? I'm glad you're on medication.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Fugazi@Dec 6 2004, 11:11 PM

"danny only got a b"

Thanks for the tip on the quoting. I completed my undergraduate work with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and am currently working on a Master of Arts in Applied Psychology, and a credential in School Psychology. I will be applying to doctrate level schools once I have finished my thesis, probably in the spring of 2006. The over-prescription of medication is an interesting topic, which I don't really feel like debating right now. Some people don't need meds. Others do.

[/b]

its amazing that you do actually post up facts and things like that, i just heard information from pharmacist and things like that, without the research, and believed it, I do need to do more research, which is why i am backing off. I would like to say thanks for the info, very nice that you are able to argue a point well instead of just "you are stupid" arguments. Ill do some research.

and i can understand not arguing that other point, there is no real answer and it could go on for days.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Dec 7 2004, 04:37 AM

its amazing that you do actually post up facts and things like that, i just heard information from pharmacist and things like that, without the research, and believed it, I do need to do more research, which is why i am backing off. I would like to say thanks for the info, very nice that you are able to argue a point well instead of just "you are stupid" arguments. Ill do some research.

and i can understand not arguing that other point, there is no real answer and it could go on for days.

Yeah, my posts do come off with a bit of heat once in a while though, my apologies. Most of my waking life is spent doing Grad work in psychology or with clients. If you do decide to do research make sure your info comes from a peer-reviewed journal, not just an internet source. I believe pharmacists are knowledgable, but they, like those with M.D.'s (as opposed to Ph.D.'s or Psy. D's) do not specialize in psychological matters, and hence their knowledge is limited. I hate "folk psychology", which is why I react somewhat vehemetly to discussions about psychology on 12oz.

Prescription drugs are a hot topic right now. Just realize that the prevalence of *many* mental conditions are on the rise; in California the rates of autism have more than doubled in the last decade, and autism isn't just a clinical judgement. Doctors have standards that they must adhere to regarding prescribing drugs; the legal implications are quite stringent. Every month, we all get the mailer saying who in the state of California is no longer legally able to practice psychology...

If you have any questions or want to discuss anything regarding psychology, I'm always game...