anyone else hate music reviews?

Mr. Mang

does anyone else here hate music reviews? i see them in magazines all the time and it drives me nuts. it just seems like worthless garbage to try to review someone else's music. nobody is gonna REALLY have a good idea of what you are talking about. if anything it makes me not want to hear them.

just an opinion.

"dude tyah the band 'the conspiracy noise plan theory' rocks. they are a blend of this and that but who really knows what i am talking about?"

show reviews are even worse . .

"Seeing a band you love live is an incredible experience. Dashboard Confessional obviously strives to make their concerts special with all the energy they put into it and the different variations of their songs. Their concert was so much better than hearing the CD and that is how a concert should be. I would recommend that you try to catch them in concert when they come to your neck of the woods."

zzzzzz

no offense to you musicians out there . .

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

I once read...."Rollins new album sounds like an abandoned refrigarator in the middle of the desert"......

I agree with you...95% percent is pure shit. BUT its a matter of good and bad journalism, i've read good reviews also.

i hate music reviews done by people who have no idea about the genre. for example you get some mainstream media magazine covering an underground album and they compare it to the Who, or Van Halen or something stupid like that, when it obviously comes from an entire genre of similar bands that the media knows nothing about. (don't get me wrong, i like the who and van halen).

like you say, i hate when reviewers just tell you how they felt. who the fuck gives these people their jobs to review? its usually just some snotty bitch who has a journalism degree and has been to three shows in her life. she's impressed by the silliest cliches.

i like music reviews that can compare a group to other groups, so you get a feeling of what the group/artist is like. just saying its hip hop can be anything from dre and snoop to Dose One.

blah, this is silly, don't even know why i'm bitching about this :spent:

Originally posted by cmeup

i hate any kind of reviews....

those fucking critics try to pick apart someones work... whether it be a movie or a book or a music cd they created... when they couldnt do anything near as good in their entire lifetime...

teaserok<~ FUCK THA CRITICS!!!

Word. I don't know why people pay to listen to critics. They are full of shit twice: the first time because they're full of shit, and again because they're full of themselves. They are leeches sucking the blood of creative people. They can all go fuck themselves. They're ten times worse than any artist who ever "sold out" his talents to make a buck. These people make a buck putting down (or fawning over) somebody ELSE'S work, and then they have the fucking nerve to think that their reviews are some kind of art because they came up with a witty metaphor for insulting someone else's efforts. No love for critics from this corner.

i go mixed on critics. i hate a lot of music reviews. for example, the source sucks (especially since its been sleepin on the "bomb shelter" or whatever the fuck the call it) so i stopped paying any attention to it. but at the same time i like reading eberts film reviews. USUALLY because he has the same taste in films. but as far as the source goes with music, unless someone buys their mics, the reviews come off sounding so incredibly unintelligent and dull. shit, even if the review is bought they still sound like BORING dumbasses. its like they go to junior highs and have the kids do it for free. what kills me most is that theyll give a bad review for an album and praise how dope it is through the whole thing, then in the conclusion mention something it lacked. FUCK THE SOURCE!

Guest im not witty

i like reviews in magazines like vice and big brother becuase they are usually funny as hell and have zero to do with the music, but as far as serious reviews heres my equation

critics=people who failed at trying to do whatever they are criticizing.

Wait, so are you saying you don't like a review written by some idiot journalist who knows nothing about music, let alone whatever genre he/she is writing about? I like that. Especially when you read 15 reviews on artists ranging from Luciano Pavarotti, to Rainer Maria, to Pharoahe Monch and they're all by the same person. Because clearly one person knows all there is to know about every type of music and so they're qualified to review all these different recordings. Not only that, but they work for such and such magazine which has nothing to do with music or the music industry so that further qualifies them.

Guest im not witty
Originally posted by teister

Wait, so are you saying you don't like a review written by some idiot journalist who knows nothing about music, let alone whatever genre he/she is writing about? I like that. Especially when you read 15 reviews on artists ranging from Luciano Pavarotti, to Rainer Maria, to Pharoahe Monch and they're all by the same person. Because clearly one person knows all there is to know about every type of music and so they're qualified to review all these different recordings. Not only that, but they work for such and such magazine which has nothing to do with music or the music industry so that further qualifies them.

easy there cowboy

Archived