anybody fuck with UNIX?

Guest postaholic

Guest postaholic

i overheard some computer geeks talking about UNIX, and how it is tha shit cuz it never crashes, but how is that so? and if its so great why dont they model the other OS systems around it? so they dont crash either?

whats so good about UNIX?

:confused:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

because it's not a big hairball of code like microsoft anything. It's a highly customizeable OS. it's more of like, saying, "I want this program and this program only on my computer, and only the necessary things I need to run these programs.... nothing else." Actually "Linux" is the one to go with... as it is free, open sourced (the source code is free) and it'll run on anything. They use linux in those car computers, those gps systems... those new pda/celly combo's. Yahoo is run on linux. Alot of really high profile web servers are run on linux. It's nerdy as fuck, yeah, but it's also good if you can figure it out. (which I haven't completely.)

yes definitely. they are the kind of computers that you set up really good like, and then you take the monitor and the keyboard off and leave the box connected to the network in a closet somewhere. That's how stable they are..... they've been known to run for months without rebooting. Unix is not free though like linux is.

Guest --zeSto--

listen to j

I've done a bit a research into redhat and mandrake linux,

but it's really not good for the average home user. You can really mess

with driver codes and create an unusable computer. It's really for the pros.

however...

once it's up and running, it's rock solid.

It's not for things like surfing the web and chatting while playing quake.

It's for Massive Apache Servers, hosting IRC channels and managing firewalls.

very dull stuff!

and here's a tidbit for you OSX users.

It's pronounced 'oh ess ten' on 'oh ess exx' !

some people say that because it's Unix, you should say 'oh ess exx',

but Steve Jobbs himself says 'oh ess TEN'.

yeah... my pet peave.

Guest whydontyudie

seriously right now its funny that yous guys bring this subject matter up while im sittin ina room next to a box running on UNIX. Then to top it off the next room has, hold on let me go count, okay back. THe next room has ten servers all running UNIX, okay i lied three are running solaris i believe??? i dunno anyhoo im at my parents company which does alotta work with fuckin UNIX, LINUX, DCE, and what you niggas dont know about, AIX, ooooooooooooooohhhhhhh you niggas dont know about that shit do you. I dont know much about it either but if i ask the old man he'll spill the beans on how all this shit werks. I mean the man doesnt use windows he uses straight up AIX OS on his RSK6000 box at his desk while he sits there and codes. DAmn that server room is fuckin hot im going to getta gatorade.

l0rd Ka0s

yea I was gonna say that Mac OS X is based on UNIX...which is dope. I'm coppin' a PowerMac G4 someday..

Another difference is that Linux/UNIX can be run on really old ass computers...where as Windows 2000 would suck total ass on a P2 266mhz machine with 64mb of RAM, Linux/UNIX would rock out.

I have Mandrake 8.0 on CD and shit, just waiting for an available box to put it on..thinking about droppin it in an older IBM ThinkPad to save space in my room....

|_ 1 || |_| X R0X0Rz |_337||355

Guest --zeSto--

I'm both.

Macs at home.

Macs/PC's at work.

hell... the first Mac ever was launched on my 5th birthday,

but I had been on Apples for a few years before that.

It all depends on what you want to do with it!

Seing as I dont live at home and dont have acess to my fathers dual G4,

I'm only using the PowerBook5300c for scriptwriting (using final draft v.5),

and the occasional game of mahjong.

Well personally, I'd like to try something new. Windows 2000 is nice and stable to some extent, but I want to give Mac a shot. I'm really drooling over the new Power Mac's...

The one I really really want is the Dual G4, w/ 512MB RAM (I'll upgrade to 1.5Gb later), SCSI harddrive, SuperDrive, Zip 250 (for school), GeForce4 Ti and that PIMP ASS 22" Studio Flat Panel Display. Oh my god. I'd end up using it for video editing, picture ed., GAMING, internet, adn what not.

But yea...I'll still have a Windows machine or three..

I want that Power Book Titanium too

Guest --zeSto--

If you're going for digital editing,

dont believe the Mac hype.

FinalCutPro is not all they say it is.

For the same price you can run AvidXpressDV on any NT (or on a mac).

It makes FinalCut feel like editing with hedge clippers.

The G4 may be better suited, but not necessary.

It really all comes down to the quality of the i/o.

Guest whydontyudie

well blow me down bro

it is rs/6000 ahahahaha

theres like 4 of those fuckers here and im retarded ahahahhaah and the box for one is right next to me. im going to the doctor. later d00ds

Guest --zeSto--

and one of the nerds shouts "BACK TO THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE WITH YOU"... the 'someone' slinks back off to his trailor.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I used a version of Unix (IRIX) on a monster SGI for a while about two years ago. It was dope, but it's so incredibly stale and barebones it can make you feel uncomfortable using it. As an OS, ultrabling status, as a GUI, noperbling status.

I'm also a Mac user, but I never dug FinalCut Pro. Maybe I just didn't spend much time on it, but it annoyed me for some reason. Although they aren't as powerful as Avid by a long shot, Premiere and AfterEffects are fine for me, especially the latter. I've tried Avid, Discreet, Media 100, and FCP, but I didn't click with them... the Adobe interface is too ingrained into my skull.

Zesto, I have a bunch of questions for you about freelancing as a jack-of-all-trades, which you seem to be rocking at. Can I hit up your e-mail or something? Mine's hector@openarts.org, I'd really appreciate your help. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

Is that like, "as opposed to listening to Dirty."?

your points were good, but I was refering to j's point about servers.

*edit: check the mail m'erro

Originally posted by --zeSto--

If you're going for digital editing,

dont believe the Mac hype.

FinalCutPro is not all they say it is.

For the same price you can run AvidXpressDV on any NT (or on a mac).

It makes FinalCut feel like editing with hedge clippers.

The G4 may be better suited, but not necessary.

It really all comes down to the quality of the i/o.

I'm really not all that into video editing...I'd like to give it a try..

I'd use it mostly for gaming, surfing, school...etc...

Pimp as hell

I got CoolEditPro (win32) audio software.... it works very well... and it's very very bad ass.

Now all I need is some instruments that connect with MIDI. That and a really dope ass sound card. Cool fact (less than g-rated): Some guy posted a guide on the net.... about how to use your linux to grow weed.... or any other whatever you'd wanna grow..... he wrote his own device drivers, built little integrated circuits with servo motors, and a program to water, light, fertilize.... etc..... Let's see you do that with windows. I know it's possible, but still.....

SALT LAKE CITY, August 5, 2002 - Linux NetworX announced today that Tularik Inc, (NASDAQ: TLRK) is using a Linux NetworX Evolocity cluster supercomputer to boost datamining performance by 75x for drug development.

Tularik, a biopharmaceutical company, relies on the Linux NetworX cluster to accelerate its drug discovery efforts by quickly identifying gene combinations behind diseases in the areas of cancer, immunology and metabolic disorders. Using the genomics information processed by the cluster, Tularik expects to develop pharmaceuticals that regulate gene expression.

In a two month time period, Tularik accomplished the cross comparison between the mouse genome and the human genome, a significant scientific feat to further understand human disease.

"The Linux NetworX cluster provides a performance increase of 75x over our previous system, enabling us to complete the genome comparison in a short amount of time," said Bruce Ling, director of bioinformatics at Tularik. "The information from this comparison gives us a competitive advantage and wouldn't have been possible without the Linux NetworX cluster."

The massive amount of data computation inherent in drug design typically requires the power of a supercomputer-class system. Cluster technology is a method of linking multiple computers, or compute nodes, together to form a powerful, unified system. Linux NetworX clusters can match the performance of traditional supercomputers for a fraction of the cost.

"Our drug target identification efforts depend on the information processed by the Linux NetworX cluster, so it is imperative that the cluster is powerful, reliable and easy-to-manage," said Ling. "The Linux NetworX cluster provides the power we need for genome scale data mining and data management."

To help manage the 150-processor cluster, ICE Box and ClusterWorX, cluster management tools from Linux NetworX, are being used to monitor each processor in the cluster and notify administrators of any potential system irregularities.

About Linux NetworX

Linux NetworX (www.linuxnetworx.com) brings its powerful and easy-to-manage cluster technology to those demanding high performance and high availability systems. Linux NetworX provides solutions for organizations involved in oil and gas exploration, aeronautical and chemical modeling, biotechnology research, graphics rendering and visual effects, Web serving, ISPs, ASPs, and other technological research fields. Through its innovative Evolocity hardware, ICE cluster management tools and professional service and support, Linux NetworX provides end-to-end clustering solutions. To date, the company has built some of the largest cluster systems in the world, and boasts numerous Fortune 500 customers.

###

Linux is a registered trademark owned by Linus Torvalds. All other products, services and companies are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Brad Rutledge

Linux NetworX

801-562-1010 ext. 218

brutledge@linuxnetworx.com

Archived