1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

anybody fuck with UNIX?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by postaholic, Aug 8, 2002.

1. postaholic

postaholic Guest

anybody fuck with UNIX?

Discussion started by postaholic - Aug 8, 2002

i overheard some computer geeks talking about UNIX, and how it is tha shit cuz it never crashes, but how is that so? and if its so great why dont they model the other OS systems around it? so they dont crash either?

whats so good about UNIX?

:confused:

2. ÀEL GRINGO?

ÀEL GRINGO? 12oz Junior Member

ÀEL GRINGO? - Replied Aug 8, 2002

Im fucking stoned... DOUBLE.perk. ,,, Austin Powers 3 was pretty weak

ÀEL GRINGO? - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  3. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Aug 8, 2002

because it's not a big hairball of code like microsoft anything. It's a highly customizeable OS. it's more of like, saying, "I want this program and this program only on my computer, and only the necessary things I need to run these programs.... nothing else." Actually "Linux" is the one to go with... as it is free, open sourced (the source code is free) and it'll run on anything. They use linux in those car computers, those gps systems... those new pda/celly combo's. Yahoo is run on linux. Alot of really high profile web servers are run on linux. It's nerdy as fuck, yeah, but it's also good if you can figure it out. (which I haven't completely.)

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied Aug 8, 2002

At this place in the So.Cal area called Fry's electronics they sell this Linux based comp 1.something GHZ for 299.00 sounds like a decent deal to try and mess around with. Or use it as a computer to host on only.

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Aug 8, 2002

yes definitely. they are the kind of computers that you set up really good like, and then you take the monitor and the keyboard off and leave the box connected to the network in a closet somewhere. That's how stable they are..... they've been known to run for months without rebooting. Unix is not free though like linux is.

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  6. iCEBERG

iCEBERG 12oz Senior Member

iCEBERG - Replied Aug 8, 2002

iCEBERG - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Kr430n5_666 - Replied Aug 8, 2002

http://epc.buffalo.edu/images/drawings/ms50.gif'>
    "I WILL THE FUCKING EAT A UNIX ONE ASSBITCHES."

Kr430n5_666 - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

--zeSto-- - Replied Aug 8, 2002

listen to j

I've done a bit a research into redhat and mandrake linux,
    but it's really not good for the average home user. You can really mess
    with driver codes and create an unusable computer. It's really for the pros.
    however...
    once it's up and running, it's rock solid.
    It's not for things like surfing the web and chatting while playing quake.
    It's for Massive Apache Servers, hosting IRC channels and managing firewalls.
    very dull stuff!

and here's a tidbit for you OSX users.
    It's pronounced 'oh ess ten' on 'oh ess exx' !
    some people say that because it's Unix, you should say 'oh ess exx',
    but Steve Jobbs himself says 'oh ess TEN'.
    yeah... my pet peave.

9. whydontyudie

whydontyudie Guest

whydontyudie - Replied Aug 8, 2002

seriously right now its funny that yous guys bring this subject matter up while im sittin ina room next to a box running on UNIX. Then to top it off the next room has, hold on let me go count, okay back. THe next room has ten servers all running UNIX, okay i lied three are running solaris i believe??? i dunno anyhoo im at my parents company which does alotta work with fuckin UNIX, LINUX, DCE, and what you niggas dont know about, AIX, ooooooooooooooohhhhhhh you niggas dont know about that shit do you. I dont know much about it either but if i ask the old man he'll spill the beans on how all this shit werks. I mean the man doesnt use windows he uses straight up AIX OS on his RSK6000 box at his desk while he sits there and codes. DAmn that server room is fuckin hot im going to getta gatorade.

l0rd Ka0s

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller 12oz Elite Member

Ferris Bueller - Replied Aug 8, 2002

yea I was gonna say that Mac OS X is based on UNIX...which is dope. I'm coppin' a PowerMac G4 someday..

Another difference is that Linux/UNIX can be run on really old ass computers...where as Windows 2000 would suck total ass on a P2 266mhz machine with 64mb of RAM, Linux/UNIX would rock out.

I have Mandrake 8.0 on CD and shit, just waiting for an available box to put it on..thinking about droppin it in an older IBM ThinkPad to save space in my room....

|_ 1 || |_| X R0X0Rz |_337||355

Ferris Bueller - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. Ferris Bueller

who's a Mac user up in here?

I'm seriously considering the switch from Winders 2000 to a G4 PowerMac w/ OS X and shit....

the one I configured was like 7 G's...ballin'

12. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

I'm both.

Macs at home.
    Macs/PC's at work.

hell... the first Mac ever was launched on my 5th birthday,
    but I had been on Apples for a few years before that.

It all depends on what you want to do with it!

Seing as I dont live at home and dont have acess to my fathers dual G4,
    I'm only using the PowerBook5300c for scriptwriting (using final draft v.5),
    and the occasional game of mahjong.

13. Ferris Bueller

Well personally, I'd like to try something new. Windows 2000 is nice and stable to some extent, but I want to give Mac a shot. I'm really drooling over the new Power Mac's...

The one I really really want is the Dual G4, w/ 512MB RAM (I'll upgrade to 1.5Gb later), SCSI harddrive, SuperDrive, Zip 250 (for school), GeForce4 Ti and that PIMP ASS 22" Studio Flat Panel Display. Oh my god. I'd end up using it for video editing, picture ed., GAMING, internet, adn what not.

But yea...I'll still have a Windows machine or three..

I want that Power Book Titanium too

14. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

If you're going for digital editing,
    dont believe the Mac hype.
    FinalCutPro is not all they say it is.

For the same price you can run AvidXpressDV on any NT (or on a mac).
    It makes FinalCut feel like editing with hedge clippers.

The G4 may be better suited, but not necessary.
    It really all comes down to the quality of the i/o.

15. whydontyudie

whydontyudie Guest

whydontyudie - Replied Aug 8, 2002

well blow me down bro
    it is rs/6000 ahahahaha
    theres like 4 of those fuckers here and im retarded ahahahhaah and the box for one is right next to me. im going to the doctor. later d00ds