Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Any of you americans ever learn about this in history class?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Ski Mask, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

first I've heard of this. sounds like an intresting story. any of this ever get covered in history class? sounds like somthing at least those of you in california would have touched on...

Lawsuit seeks reparations for 1930s-era expulsion from California
    Wednesday, July 16, 2003 Posted: 10:39 AM EDT (1439 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Hundreds of thousands of people, many of them U.S. citizens, were forcibly sent to Mexico in the 1930s to protect jobs for white residents, according to a lawsuit against the city and county by a civil rights group.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of an estimated 400,000 people of Mexican descent, seeks monetary damages for the "irreparable loss" families suffered when they were allegedly uprooted.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Beverly Hills law firm of Kiesel, Boucher & Larson sought class-action status in the suit, claiming the program was a "coordinated, aggressive campaign to remove people of Mexican ancestry from California in large numbers."

County and city officials working with federal immigration authorities violated the constitutional rights of the alleged victims by expelling them from the United States, according to the suit.

City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo had not yet seen the suit and could not comment, according to his aides.

One of the plaintiffs, Emilia Castaneda, said she was 9 when she was forced to leave her home in the city's Boyle Heights neighborhood in 1935. She said she was loaded onto a train and sent to Mexico.

She returned to the United States nearly a decade later, when the country was immersed in World War II and once again in need of workers.

An estimated 60 percent of those sent to Mexico, including Castaneda, were U.S. citizens, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The suit alleges that the plaintiffs were expelled to eliminate job competition for "Americans" during the Depression, and to reduce the amount of money "that would have otherwise been spent to help aid destitute individuals of Mexican ancestry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

"This is US History I see the globe right there"

3. Kettiecat

Kettiecat Senior Member

the united states is all knowing and all good.
    why would they teach us any different.

4. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

"An estimated 60 percent of those sent to Mexico, including Castaneda, were U.S. citizens, according to the Los Angeles Times."

DAMN, GINA!

5. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

"well somethin happen to them man"

6. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i'm willing to bet you were taught more american history than we were.
    we learned about...ummmm, nothing really. slavery lasted about a 2 days.
    high school is a joke now that i think about it.
    dumb shit.

8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

We (canadians) probably learn more about US history than our own.
    I hope it's changing in school now but when I was there it was terrible.
    Everyone could name Washington and Lincon but most students didn't
    have a clue about W.L.Mackenzie John A. MacDonald or even Lester Pearson.

9. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Diefenbaker all the way!

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

kilo, since when are you fucking canadian?
    haha, this whole time i thought you lived in philly for some reason...
    wow.
    i learned about tim horton. dude makes the bomb strawberry tarts.

11. mogilny

mogilny Senior Member

damn i never even hard about any shit like that...pretty sure that more shit like that has happened like that....thanks ese.

12. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

Tim Horton makes a mean cup of coffee and a 'French' cruller on the side.

Philly? Nope.
    Tundra Massive the whole time.

13. mr_president

mr_president Banned

I HATE SCHOOL!!! NO LEARNING!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:shook:

14. crave

crave Veteran Member

i've never heard about that shit. good look ese, i enjoy little tidbits of history like this.

15. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

I think there's no statute of limitations on civil rights cases (although I'm not sure), which would explain how they can file suit re: an act that took place 70 years ago.

In case you were wondering.