Any of you americans ever learn about this in history class?

Ski Mask

first I've heard of this. sounds like an intresting story. any of this ever get covered in history class? sounds like somthing at least those of you in california would have touched on...

Lawsuit seeks reparations for 1930s-era expulsion from California

Wednesday, July 16, 2003 Posted: 10:39 AM EDT (1439 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Hundreds of thousands of people, many of them U.S. citizens, were forcibly sent to Mexico in the 1930s to protect jobs for white residents, according to a lawsuit against the city and county by a civil rights group.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of an estimated 400,000 people of Mexican descent, seeks monetary damages for the "irreparable loss" families suffered when they were allegedly uprooted.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Beverly Hills law firm of Kiesel, Boucher & Larson sought class-action status in the suit, claiming the program was a "coordinated, aggressive campaign to remove people of Mexican ancestry from California in large numbers."

County and city officials working with federal immigration authorities violated the constitutional rights of the alleged victims by expelling them from the United States, according to the suit.

City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo had not yet seen the suit and could not comment, according to his aides.

One of the plaintiffs, Emilia Castaneda, said she was 9 when she was forced to leave her home in the city's Boyle Heights neighborhood in 1935. She said she was loaded onto a train and sent to Mexico.

She returned to the United States nearly a decade later, when the country was immersed in World War II and once again in need of workers.

An estimated 60 percent of those sent to Mexico, including Castaneda, were U.S. citizens, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The suit alleges that the plaintiffs were expelled to eliminate job competition for "Americans" during the Depression, and to reduce the amount of money "that would have otherwise been spent to help aid destitute individuals of Mexican ancestry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

We (canadians) probably learn more about US history than our own.

I hope it's changing in school now but when I was there it was terrible.

Everyone could name Washington and Lincon but most students didn't

have a clue about W.L.Mackenzie John A. MacDonald or even Lester Pearson.

Thats one of the things that really sucks about public schools in the US. They teach the history of the US that makes us seam to be somwhat nice, oh we set the slaves free, we gave the indians Oklahoma. thay dont say shit about things like this. And with the way things are going now it woulnt be long before we lose alot more right and get alot less freedoms

Originally posted by Kilo7-

We (canadians) probably learn more about US history than our own.

I hope it's changing in school now but when I was there it was terrible.

Everyone could name Washington and Lincon but most students didn't

have a clue about W.L.Mackenzie John A. MacDonald or even Lester Pearson.

na, only the smart kids knew.

it is changing, ive seen my brother texts and its getting better than even when i was in school.

not to be some type of super-patriot..

but of course theres bad things we dont speak about in history class.

theres also good things.

theres a whole breakdown of the american school system as well as the american family and its importance placed on knowledge (notice i didnt say degrees or diplomas).

you can point to this as an example of some type of propoganda but it really isnt. kids today have no idea who jonas salk is. no idea who alexander fleming is. no idea what WWI was about. cant tell you about any amendment besides the first and second.

apparently some of you expect the school system to explain everything that went on in the world, ever, and have them retain it.