any 'idm' fans here???

Guest the heebie jeebies

Guest the heebie jeebies

any fans of intelligent dance music (i really dislike using that term to describe this genre of music, but oh welllll)???

if so, what have you been listening to lately?

myself? well...

squarepusher 'go plastic'

and my advanced copy of the new 30 track aphex twin album 'drukqs'.. both, i highly recommend..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes im a fan but unfourtunatly the new omni trio is really the only current album ive gotten since bukems progression sessions 4...

at this time if it wasnt for intellegent good drum and bass would be non-existent...its a shame the stuff cant be played to your typical d&b audience too...

"wait!! weres the extra low bass line and the amens!?!? this isnt jungle!!!"

aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh....dont get me started...

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Guest Good Morning Captain
Originally posted by boogie hands:

ive gotten since bukems progression sessions 4...

its a shame the stuff cant be played to your typical d&b audience too...

"wait!! weres the extra low bass line and the amens!?!? this isnt jungle!!!"

aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh....dont get me started...

Anyone that tells you amen snares isnt jungle doesnt know what their talking about. That style paved the way for those 2 step beats that everyone loves so much now. And any drum and bass enthusiast should appreciate LTJ...the guy has a sound all his own, and if nothing else is a pioneer.

i dont think so. but then again, i dont know names of anything. for squarepusher i have buddakhan mindphone and music is rotted. autechre i have some older stuff... peel sessions and some other random stuff... i should go download some right now...

let me know what this go plastic stuff is an i'll check it out.

im not sure if he would fit into this whole thing... prolly not, but im a big richie hawtin fan... prolly more minimal than idm, but at times its a bit idm-ish... or atleast it fts my understandingof the 'genre'...

and your forgetting, i have no qualm with you. i dont know who you are. your the one who insists on dissing me for for biting transcend (which incidently ive never, ever done. abuse sure, transcend, nope.)

Originally posted by Good Morning Captain:

Anyone that tells you amen snares isnt jungle doesnt know what their talking about. And any drum and bass enthusiast should appreciate LTJ...the guy has a sound all his own, and if nothing else is a pioneer.

i completly agree but i was more making a reference to the fact that currently the typical d&b audience as well as most d&b producers are pretty close minded in what they will except (there are a few exceptions)....it just bothers me that i could take a record i bought 2 or 3 years ago, put it along side a current record and production wise, there is no difference what so ever. stagnant. and yes, any drum and bass enthusiast SHOULD like bukem.

and yeah, richie hawtin doesnt really fall under "idm"...but i did get a chance to see him a while back when he was on his "decks, EFX and a 909" tour, he basically started each set with a blank memory and just created

tracks as he progressed through his set...phenominal stuff...only bad part was he played behind a mesh curtain so that all you could see was his shadow....weird

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Guest Good Morning Captain
Originally posted by boogie hands:

it just bothers me that i could take a record i bought 2 or 3 years ago, put it along side a current record and production wise, there is no difference what so ever. stagnant.

I gotta disagree with you somewhat..the production side of things are always changing. Also eventhough I dislike alot of the new stuff being done I wouldnt say its become stagnant. Well maybe on some levels. The trend nowadays is more towards faster beats and more midrange laser sounding basslines. This is what i dont really care for. Have you seen the metalheadz video? If so Lemon D pretty much sums it all up for us.

rich is a strange cat. you should see the partys he puts on in detroit... even weirder.. now he's got this shit... its a record that has some wierd smpte codes or something on it, so when he plays it, it runs through his laptop and triggers mp3's. fuckign craziest shit ive ever seen.

i have a couple of friends that know mr. hawtin....and have

supported him from the start......one of my friends also

hangs out alot with aquaviva and they kick it.......i get

to hear all the down low shit when i talk to them....i

used to live with a good friend that mixed that stuff

and another friend that used to come over and those

guys would spin incredible shit....just fuckin' wicked shit...

richie is dope. i'm not a big fan of live stuff, but his studio stuff, like

concept , and the stuff after was fuckin' ill. that minimal shit is sick.

.....lots of that stuff is amazing, amazing

music. not really somethin' i would classify as 'techno'

in the general public perception sense of that music....which is

probably the shit four to floor fluff stuff.....anyhow.....

but, yea...maurizio, stewart walker, theorem, swayzack,

porter ricks, mike ink aka gas etc, thomas brinkmann, vladislav delay...............etcetry...there's tons of awesome shit out there...

all that type of stuff and the spin offs is sick.

yeah I love IDM. I didn't like Ae (Autechre) much to begin with, but after a while I really got into them.. apparently they were very much influenced by hip hop - never would have guessed.

I got the new Squarepusher LP the other week, and I love it. I don't know how he manages to make it sound so random..

I think that Boards Of Canada are one of best electronic bands EVER. Oh and I got the new Prefuse 73 album last week - it's EXCELLENT, sort of 'blip-hop'.

Also, Skam Records is worth checking out: www.skam.co.uk

I'm going to get Minidisc by Gescom soon hopefully..

Oh, and I'd never, EVER call 'IDM' techno; it doesn't do the genre justice.

Guest the heebie jeebies
Originally posted by brown twinkie:

heebies.....i'm still curious to hear how you have an 'advanced copy'

of drukqs?????????????????????????????????????????????

please....enlighten me.....

i pulled a bunny out of my trick hat...

Guest the heebie jeebies
Originally posted by pulk:

Oh, and I'd never, EVER call 'IDM' techno; it doesn't do the genre justice.

i feel the same way, but what other description is there? you could easily pick apart everything a artist has done and label it as whatever, but to sum it all up i think intelligent dance music is a good phrase.

a lot better then 'electronica'...

on another note, i've been listening to plaid 'double figure' lately and it's very good. i'm going to see squarepusher and plaid at the 9:30 club in washington dc on the 28th, i'm pretty sure. mira calix is opening, i think. promises to be good..

Originally posted by the heebie jeebies:

i pulled a bunny out of my trick hat...

wha????

dood....give up the goods. if you have an advanced copy,

lets hear how you got it....really..............what....you work at

warp or some shit?

i don't believe you.

again.....enlighten me.

Guest the heebie jeebies

don't concern yourself with how i got it, but let's just say it has something to do with artist representation and the dog and pony show of the electronic music industry.

and not to sound like a prick or anything, but i promised a friend of a friend that i wouldn't reveal the magic of it all.

you can preorder a upcoming single off of the new album on the warp site. i'd higly recommend it. it'll give a taste of what the new album is sorta about.

and if your down (to brown twinkie) i'd be down to trade some music, i think i have some stuff you might be interested in. thecoloryellow_us@yahoo.com..

Archived