ANTI-DEPRESSANTS / SSRI'S!

Fugazi

I'm going to be taking a anti-depressant soon in an attempt to deal with anxiety issues that I have. I was wondering if anyone had any SSRI's (I don't want to take a MAOI or a tri-cyclic) that they would recommend. I don't want major side effects, and I want something that is effective. No crazy withdrawls either. Suggestions?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

Girl: so what are you doing back?

M-V: Well, I set back and thought about the things we used to do; it really meant a lot to me. You mean a lot to me.

Girl: I really mean that much to you?

M-V: Girl, you know it's true.

I believe it should be "I sat back". I would have rather had a picture though :(

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

Yeah i knew this girl who was on it, and then she got off of it, and she would get horrible dizzy spells and black out. I took myself off my medication. I didn;t really need to be on it. The doctor told me that graffiti was OCD and put me on medication, bullsquirt

Well, there are a lot of symptoms of OCD in graffiti artists who are really into it. However, I feel that OCD in itself is an issue that isnt so black and white. Sometimes it can be hard to tell whether or not a person is simply enjoying something and feels the need to do things all the time that relate to it or if they have a problem within the mind that would make them go crazy if they didnt get to fufill their desire to do something.

Example: I create systems for everything I do to . Everything. However, If i do something against my own system, I don't lose my fucking mind. I just indulge in it.

It would really be a problem if a graffiti-demon walked by a mailbox and was like "oh i didnt see who was up on that...i'll let it go..." and then they flip out and have to go back to analyze the mailbox and scan for names.

There was a girl in my highschool who used to have to touch the top of all the doorframes she walked by. I saw he skip it once and she turned around immidietly and corrected herself. Its crazy to watch.

I knew this kid who had such an impulse with graffiti, like the example you gave with the mailbox. He couldn't pass something by without standing there for like 5 minutes. Examining it, every aspect of it.

I haven't really seen anyone with ocd tendencies, but I've read articles about it, it's really intense to think about, how someone needs to do something repeatedly to feel maybe some sort of security

tease, you got deleted because your dumb shit is not wanted here.

fugazi,

if you're just trying to combat anxiety, and possibly the secondary depression that comes with it, look into welbutrin and keppra. keppra is an anti-seizure med, but its not a benzo like a lot of the others. it's often cross-prescribed for anxiety stuff. no dependency, no withdrawls, and for the most part, no side effects. shit is the jump off, trust me on this one.

Originally posted by seeking

sorry man, didnt mean to be overly dumb, just trying to look at a depressing subject in a more lgihter manner. no pun intended.

i dont believe in meds of this kind, i think anyone can be strong enough mentally to overcome on their own.

thats how i see it anyways.

/sorry.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

sorry man, didnt mean to be overly dumb, just trying to look at a depressing subject in a more lgihter manner. no pun intended.

i dont believe in meds of this kind, i think anyone can be strong enough mentally to overcome on their own.

thats how i see it anyways.

/sorry.

Overcoming chemical imbalances is possible, but really not plausible. Behavioral and cognitive therapy are always my recommendations to people, but in some instances medication is simply unavoidable.

Originally posted by seeking

fugazi,

if you're just trying to combat anxiety, and possibly the secondary depression that comes with it, look into welbutrin and keppra. keppra is an anti-seizure med, but its not a benzo like a lot of the others. it's often cross-prescribed for anxiety stuff. no dependency, no withdrawls, and for the most part, no side effects. shit is the jump off, trust me on this one.

I'll ask my prescribing MD about it. I'm staying away from the benzodiazipines. Just SSRI's. What's Welbutrin's sister pill? The one that is chemically the same but used as an anti-smoking pill? Zanax? I'll see what's cheaper :lol:

I was on Depakote for 6 months. It's a mood stabalizer similar to Lithium but not nearly as powerful. I stopped taking it and never even got a follow-up about it from my doctor. I remember it made me feel nothing when I was on it, which actually made me more depressed. I can't really say how hard it was to go off it because I don't remember too well. I know I smoked a lot of pot afterwards, related or unrelated to being off meds.

Took Zoloft before that which was a big mistake.

Graffiti can make me ADD/OCD/Not pay attention to other things. I don't see this as a bad thing. Art is a focus of attention. Graffiti is constant art when you live in the city. So my attention is constantly being broken by something that is in essence, what I am focusing on.

fucking anxiety

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

fuck 2 years ago i was so depressed i had many anxiety attacks.. for the 3 years before and i think it was because i was smoking weed.

and so my psy told me that the stage where i was would be to take medication and the only side effects would be a bit of nausea and risk or erectile problems..i ran out of the office and never came back, crying my face out. and now i pratically never get anxiety and when i get it i deal with it and it always goes away...

dont take the medications man,..you re pretty much screwed after that. just paint more, if it makes you feel better. thats what i did

good luck

DO NOT TAKE SSRI's. they are bad. i took 50 mgs of zoloft for 3 weeks, then the doctor moved me up to 100mgs a day...gah! i felt crazy...like i was tripping on acid and nothing at all mattered. i told the doc about this before he put me on 100 mgs...he said i should keep taking it..he said i have alot of tendencies and anxiety...recommended all kinds of different therapy....bullshit.

then, he put me on lexapro...bad. bad bad. had me feeling like i was tripping even harder. wanted to kill myself. no emotion. robotic.

anxiety has its roots in all of us. don't mistake a natural human feeling for some disease because of what commercials tell you. you can cure yourself. you only have to get to the root of it.

----------------------------------------------

here is something helpful:

A Critical Mass

A new spiritual awakening is occurring in human culture, an awakening brought about by a critical mass of individuals who experience their lives as a spiritual unfolding, a journey in which we are led forward by mysterious coincidences.

The Longer Now

This awakening represents the creation of a new, more complete worldview, which replaces a five-hundred-year-old preoccupation with secular survival and comfort. While this technological preoccupation was an important step, our awakening to life's coincidences is opening us up to the real purpose of human life on this planet, and the real nature of our universe.

A Matter Of Energy

We now experience that we live not in a material universe, but in a universe of dynamic energy. Everything extant is a field of sacred energy that we can sense and intuit. Moreover, we humans can project our energy by focusing our attention in the desired direction...where attention goes, energy flows...influencing other energy systems and increasing the pace of coincidences in our lives.

The Struggle For Power

Too often humans cut themselves off from the greater source of this energy and so feel weak and insecure. To gain energy we tend to manipulate or force others to give us attention and thus energy. When we successfully dominate others in this way, we feel more powerful, but they are left weakened and often fight back. Competition for scarce, human energy is the cause of all conflict between people.

The Message Of The Mystics

Insecurity and violence ends when we experience an inner connection with divine energy within, a connection described by mystics of all traditions. A sense of lightness - buoyancy - along with the constant sensation of love are measures of this connection. If these measures are present, the connection is real. If not, it is only pretended.

Clearing The Past

The more we stay connected, the more we are acutely aware of those times when we lose connection, usually when we are under stress. In these times, we can see our own particular way of stealing energy from others. Once our manipulations are brought to personal awareness, our connection becomes more constant and we can discover our own growth path in life, and our spiritual mission - the personal way we can contribute to the world.

-------------------------------------------------

just a few of the celestine insights from the celestine prophecy...i don't find all of the energy field talk too interesting, but don't relate it to mysticism, relate it to something else.

Originally posted by Fugazi

I'm going to be taking a anti-depressant soon in an attempt to deal with anxiety issues that I have. I was wondering if anyone had any SSRI's (I don't want to take a MAOI or a tri-cyclic) that they would recommend. I don't want major side effects, and I want something that is effective. No crazy withdrawls either. Suggestions?

i was on prozac and later zoloft for a while when i was about 17. prozac was horrible, i wanted to shoot my face off every waking minute of my life.. zoloft was slightly better, but they both had withdrawl symptoms for me.. however, don't let horror stories discourage you from trying them, and you may need to try several different SSRI's before you find one that's right for you.

im on lexapro right now... i understand what casek means when he says he felt like he was tripping. i kinda feel the same, maybe "tripping" is too strong for what i am feeling, but i guess it is a bit like that. my girlfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago, she admitted that it was partially due to the fact that i am depressive, and take meds for it. i should have felt angry or upset or something, but i didnt. i just said "yeah, okay." nothing more. i didnt feel anything more, just that...

lexapro has made me a robot, oh well, beats depression, at least i can get out of bed before mid afternoon now...

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback! I'm wondering now about things like insomnia. I took strattera for a while, and I couldn't sleep worth shit. But I hear some SSRI's actually help you sleep? I hear those of you who say meds are no good, but you don't understand my situation. My stomach hurts from having so much anxiety. I lose my appetite. And trust me, I'm not a mental midget- I do have willpower and control. I just can't stop my body from reacting sometimes.

fuck anyone that ever tells you medication is for the weak, or that you can just 'tough it'. those people have never fucking dealt with some of the evils that a person can go through. i've spent 12 years on and off meds for depression/anxiety/panic and i dare any one of you motherfuckers to tell me to my face that i'm just 'weak', or that i'm being duped by some dr. fuck you, you have no idea what you're talking about. yes everyone gets 'depressed' and yes, everyone has 'anxiety', but there is a world of difference between the anxiety someone gets before a test, and the anxiety that some people get a result of chemical imbalances. spend a fucking day in my shoes, or in any one's shoes that deal with the things some of us have to, then tell me again about how it's 'natural'. dr's do often prescribe meds to people who don't need them, and unfortunately, these people, with their brief negative experiences, then like to turn around and act like the authority on the subject because they were on prozac for a month. try taking a dozen different meds for over a third of your life, then talk to me about something. tell me they haven't helped me. that i could live the life i do without them. that the fucking people i see in my clinic; homeless, depressed, psychotic, suicidal people, just need to 'buck up'.

motherfuckers need to keep their empirical oppinions to themselves when it comes to shit they don't really know about. if dude has enough problems that he is willing to accept the stigma and try taking something that could potentiall help him, then let him do it. if it's not right for him, he'll switch meds, or he'll find another way to solve his problems. if they don't work, he feels like a zombie for a month, and moves on. big fucking deal. if they do help, he gets his life back.

sharing experiences is fine, including negative ones, but acting like you got a secret tour of Oz, on your one month long paxil 'trip', and now you've come back to warn the masses is bullshit. everyone reacts differently, so tell your story, not 'the' story.

this was NOT directed at anyone in specific, it was directed at the countless people i've encountered in my life that have tried to belittle the things i deal with, and the things people like me deal with. if it fits, wear it, but don't bother trying to argue with me about it, i don't care.

seeks/if rage can admit he fucks dudes, i guess i can admit i'm crazy

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

I used to take celexa, horrible withdralws. I heard Paxil is no walk in the park getting off either.

i used to take paxil. it turned me into a zombie and when i tried to get off of it i thought i was going crazy and had a migraine headache for a week straight. it was seriously one of the worst weeks of my life.

im not sure how someone could 'abuse' anti-depressants. what is she on? and if she is indeed abusing any drug, then the problem is not the drug, it's the treatment she's getting.

and dont worry, i agree that dr's are often far too quick to prescribe meds anytime someone mentions feeling down. but i also think people are far too lazy to try fixing things on their own sometimes. everyone wants to be able to just take a pill and magically be slimmer, hotter, smarter, etc. for some ailments, meds are a one stop super fix, unfortunately, med's alone will not fix any mental issues, you have to learn to come up with coping skills and understanding what you're facing as well. this is where most dr's fail. you wouldnt go to a psychiatrist for a broken ankle, so why the hell would you go to a family dr. for mental issues? that's like taking your car to jiffy lube for a broken axle.

sounds to me like she is using something else, cause paxil (which i had a horrible experience on) and the rest of the SSRI's, are pretty fucking difficult to get 'high' off of. from every experience i've come across, taking too much just fucks you up (in a bad way) and there is absolutely nothing pleasurable about it. it would be like trying to abuse ibuprofen, instead of just taking vicodin. it's not going to get you where you're trying to go.

regardless though, whatever she is abusing, that is her and her dr's fault, not the fault of the medication. there are plenty of meds (benzo's especially) that are addictive, and can by themselves, cause dependency problems, but SSRI's do not work like that.

if someone is going to 'abuse' paxil, they are going to find something that is a hell of a lot more abuse-friendly.

World of trouble. My mom worked in a cardiology office, so she got free

Paxil for a long ass time. It helped her, it really did. When my dad died,

she got really depressed, and she ended up living off his Social Security

benefits (which were supposed to be for my sister and I) and she pretty

much just sat inside the house all fucking day, watching TV. Doing nothing.

That's about when her blood sugar started going fucking insane (she's

diabetic) and she was having insulin reactions a few times a week.

Shit was mother fucking stressful, and I wish I had had the balls to step

up and say I needed the help, because I guarantee those pills would've

at least helped a little. Good luck with that shit homey.