Another casualty

bobobi11

Watch your backs boys and girls. This does not bode well for the Portland scene.

Acid-based graffiti net vandal prison

12/17/01

ROBIN FRANZEN

*******, the 24-year-old who defaced numerous Southeast Portland businesses with acid-based graffiti this summer, was sentenced to two years in prison and must pay his victims more than $14,000 in restitution, a Multnomah County judge ruled Friday.

Deputy District Attorney MacDaniel Reynolds said ****** is the first graffiti vandal he's aware of sentenced under Oregon's repeat property offender law, which established prison sentences of 13 or 19 months for offenders with certain prior convictions.

******, who has six prior felony criminal mischief convictions, pleaded guilty to six felony counts of first-degree criminal mischief Dec. 6 in connection with the Aug. 15-16 graffiti spree on Southeast Belmont Street and other Portland graffiti incidents. In exchange, the remaining counts of an 11-count indictment were dismissed.

Reynolds and ******* defense lawyer, Jason Steen, worked out the sentencing deal in advance, which Circuit Judge Ellen Rosenblum approved with one addition.

After an apologetic ****** referred to his graffiti activities as an "addiction" on which he expended about 75 percent of his energy, Rosenblum said it was appropriate that he undergo mental health evaluation and treatment, if recommended by a professional.

"I'm willing to accept the possibility that it's not just plain criminal behavior," she said -- as long as ******* was willing to address any psychological or emotional problems that may have contributed to his behavior.

But Rosenblum also admonished the defendant for his "blatant disregard for the property interests of others," ordering him to begin making a minimum of $70 per month restitution payments within 60 days of his release from prison. She also imposed 48 months of probation.

As a condition of probation, ****** cannot possess graffiti implements, cannot associate with other graffiti vandals and must be in school or working full time.

******* can apply to the state's boot-camp program to reduce the length of his prison time, which Reynolds didn't oppose. But Reynolds said prison was appropriate.

"This defendant has been repeatedly involved in this type of criminal activity," he said, "and he hasn't seemed to learn his lesson in the past."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by seeking innocence

id hardly call that a casualty. dude had 6 prior felonies, before these six... id call that being sloppy as fuck. etch bath is bad news and cheap fame...

THE LAW has to disagree here. (let it be known that THE LAW has no idea who the article is about)

sometimes you get busted. especially if you do risky stuff, like streetbombing, and ESPECIALLY if you do a lot of it. it's not really that great of an accomplishment to "not get busted" if you don't paint a lot. in fact, it's about the easiest thing in the world.

six fels definitely sucks, but THE LAW gives him credit for sticking with something he loves even in the face of enormous risk. it may not be the choice that most of us would make, but at least he's putting some work into the culture. that's admirable in THE LAW's eyes.

as far as etchbath being cheap fame, if you live in a city with a hard buff. new tools are needed to stay up. there's no use going out bombing straight for a month only to have everything you've done gone within the week after you take a break.

I agree wth THE LAW on this one. I mean a majority of kids get busted once writing at school and quit. You remember reading threads on "Got caught now what?". Besides just because he had 6-7 felonies doesent mean he got busted 6-7 different times. Just like this time he's getting numerous felonies to his record.

Remember kids plead insanity.

I remember when Chaka out here in LA pulled the mental card. It worked.

Guest defyone

thats wack that the court is considering his love for graff as a mental illness... its about fucking art and fame.. that would be in sane to get sent to the loony bin for graf. oh well etch bath rocks, and for every one out there be smart about street boming, and make sure that no one who looks like they are are around. also you never know where a nark could be, they are out there so just becareful and watch your self.... too many run ins with the cops, and they will catch on to you and catch up to you. just keep it safe.. and i dont consider this a causalty even though it is rather bogus of the court. JUST SPLASH THEM WITH THE ETCH BATH.

Originally posted by defyone

thats wack that the court is considering his love for graff as a mental illness... its about fucking art and fame.. that would be in sane to get sent to the loony bin for graf. oh well etch bath rocks, and for every one out there be smart about street boming, and make sure that no one who looks like they are are around. also you never know where a nark could be, they are out there so just becareful and watch your self.... too many run ins with the cops, and they will catch on to you and catch up to you. just keep it safe.. and i dont consider this a causalty even though it is rather bogus of the court. JUST SPLASH THEM WITH THE ETCH BATH.

your ignorant.

Originally posted by Business Man

That comment about etch bath being cheap fame is ridiculous. You may think etch bath is bad news but I think posting this article on 12oz is good news. Maybe people that have no business using etch bath will stop now.

no cause not all the writters in the world give a fuck about graffit being safe or how much destruction it cause for the shit they did it too and the people that have that i dont fucking care about anyone ill write with whatever and where ever i want too mentality are the ones that have the most ups

ive been busted 3 times, but that was over the course of 8 years. and i pretty lucky on all of them. to get 6 felonies, you gotta get pinned with alot of shit. i definitly give dude props for sticking with it, but at what cost man? graff is as central to my life music, girls or anything else i do, but if it was causing me that much hassle and time in jail, man i might have to rethink my priorities. some people just cant pull shit off. not everyone has the ability to be a professional shop lifter ya know, graff is the same way.

and as far as my cheap fame comment. since etch is still somewhat a novelty, you can get some etch bath, walk through a downtown area, do ten big window tags, and immediatly get noticed and have your name in everyones mouth. that can be the only shit you've ever done, but all of a sudden, everyone knows your name. thats just kind of weak to me. i dont care if people use it, but use it for the right reasons ya know...

thats wack that the court is considering his love for graff as a mental illness... its about fucking art and fame..

if youve ever actually gone out hittin stuff before youd know that it IS an addictive thing. personally i know someone whos been busted twice in 6 months and still does it. one time, he had no where to go, another cops came with a warrant and searched his house. thats much respect in my book, still bombing while in a rack of trouble as it is.

i think the main point is not how many times he got caught or what he got caught doing(because everyone is gonna disagree according to their own rules of how the game is played),but the main thing that affects us all is the incresing possibility of severe criminal punishment for graffiti.instead of being decriminilized,the justice system is using more and more harsher pinishmnets and increacing jail time...spreading the gap of actual justice and repramand to bullying and abuse of power.how long till you stand in court next to rapist and murderers and they get off with less time then you?the drunk driver that just killed nace just got half the jail time as this writer in oregon..........

well kids, i guess that goes to show you ifyou use the cool new etch bath youll go to jail. your 14 year old ass is gonna be real scared in there, youre not as tough as you think you are, listening to dmx doesent really make you a thug.

on another note, i agree the court system is getting highly overboard with this graffit punishment thing. how much is too much? think 2 years is way too much. these are children for gods sakes. jail only leadsback to jail. if these kids go now, theyll only be back again. jail is meant to create reoffenders....... to bad its such a big business.

Good old etch. Nothing but good times. I remember back in the 60's, I knew this guy called Marmalade Sunset. He loved etching. Then we'd go over to his house and stare at the paintings he'd done the previous morn. His wife was down with etch, too. She etched their entire house, teapots and biscuit tins, too. Sparks some true memoreis....

I'm sorry.....I'm really bored. I don't know what the fuck that was.

Guest oilcanloyd

well i just got my hands on some etch bath and i think its great! nothing here stays up too long so its good to have something a little more permenant.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

well kids, i guess that goes to show you ifyou use the cool new etch bath youll go to jail. your 14 year old ass is gonna be real scared in there, youre not as tough as you think you are, listening to dmx doesent really make you a thug.

on another note, i agree the court system is getting highly overboard with this graffit punishment thing. how much is too much? think 2 years is way too much. these are children for gods sakes. jail only leadsback to jail. if these kids go now, theyll only be back again. jail is meant to create reoffenders....... to bad its such a big business.

If he is 14, I am curious as to how he was given jail time. The goal of the juvinal court system is rehabiliation not punishment. Atleast under common law, maybe in his state it's different.

People think they can just go all balls out with everything - instead of being calculated, careful and - the best quality for a writer - paranoid. Plus, you get caught with etch tags - the penalty is gonna be alot harsher - naturally - it takes out a whole pane of glass.

Plus, it sounds like he probably didn't have the best lawyer, and that a really good lawyer could have gotten him less or no time in jail, less of a fine, probation and community service.

thats wack that the court is considering his love for graff as a mental illness... its about fucking art and fame..

Graff is not an addiction. It's an obsession: you get obsessed with ups and fame and you go to whatever lengths to satisfy your ego. My advice - don't be obsessed with anything - keep a neutral approach to everything you do because none of it REALLY matters, right - it's all an illusion while you are here on this planet...

there's some buddhism for ya.

aaaahhh!!!!

graff is everything!!

ha ha...not really, but it seems like its something i spend a LOT of time doing.....i try not to go all out. going out every night of the week is dedication, but its also dangerous.

not everyone knows how to get up either, those who cant figure it out will get popped. at that point theyll either figure out what they can do and how they can do it, or theyll quit.

Originally posted by metallix

If he is 14, I am curious as to how he was given jail time. The goal of the juvinal court system is rehabiliation not punishment. Atleast under common law, maybe in his state it's different.

If you read the article he is 24, not 14. As for I love Roo, he actually had a pretty good lawyer, he was looking at something like 130 months according to the news.

Guest Handjob
Originally posted by seeking innocence

id hardly call that a casualty. dude had 6 prior felonies, before these six... id call that being sloppy as fuck. etch bath is bad news and cheap fame...

well put...

Archived