Anime dvd's

El Producto

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

cowboy bebop is awesome.

The Armitage series is very good and sort of deals with the same stuff.

Akira (given).

have you heard of ghost in a shell? thats another great one.

anything by miyazaki (spirited away, princess mononoke, graveyard of fire flies) thats some trippy stuff, plus great story telling and animation.

Vampire hunter D is cool too.

thats it from the top of my head.

also check out the bootleg anime vhs tapes that comic stores sell. you can find stuff that you wont find over here like the 3 i mentioned i dont even know if there availiable on DVD in the US, they where like sent via computer files then put on vhs tapes from the computer.

in one tape i have windows crashes during the show and you see the buddy list go off anf a blue screen its kind silly.

damnit... please STOP mentioning Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll.

these are classics and all, but they're old.

It's like when someone asks for a good movie to rent

and you tell him 'The Godfather'. If he hasnt already

seen it, then he probably doesnt deserve a good recomendation.

so for NEW anime flicks.....

Beautiful Days ------ is amazing. Korean and built with real models, starwars style.

So many...It depends on what kind of anime you like, though. Here are some I personally like myself:

Full Metal Alchemist - current ongoing series - fucking ill shit.

Kiddy Grade - completed series - suuuper fuckin tight animation. No CG at all.

Melody of Oblivion - ongoing series - future setting

Scrapped Princess - completed series - cool, sword + magic era setting

Read or Die - completed series - excellent though you want to slap this one bitch for being such a scary hoe.

Gunslinger Girls - completed series - little killer girls with guns. Big guns.

Samurai Deeper Kyo - completed series - Samurai/Ninja shit. Watch it. Fuck Inuyasha and Samurai X both. Demon Eyes Kyo would fuck those bitches up.

King of Bandit Jing - completed series - very artistic and creative.

Too many to list really.

I got all of these (and more) on DVD via bittorrent. Unless you are completely against bootleggs, I would suggest downloading at least 1 episode to watch and then decide if you want to buy the real DVDs.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by WrIot@Oct 14 2004, 12:18 PM

FLCL

neon genesis evangelion

This is a long series and I'm not an anime guy but it was really entertaining. Just make sure if you commit to it that you get the movie ending not the series ending...

Originally posted by El Producto@Oct 14 2004, 06:36 PM

recently ive been getting interested in anime stuff. and im starting to buy dvd's. and i was just wondering if anyone could recomend something or have any trailers??..heres a few that i think are good.

Blood:the last vampire

Dead Leaves

Cowboy Bebop

I just recently started watching anime. I'm pretty picky, but I have found I *really* like Miyazaki's work.

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Kiki's Delivery Service

are all GREAT movies. Also worth watching is:

The Castle of Cagliostro

Animated by Miyazaki, this is a take off of the long running series "Lupin The Third" , which is a very good Anime cartoon. Also, a little more kiddish, but Inuyasha is very entertaining, at least to me. At the very least, watch Spirited Away... one of my favorite movies of all time.

Miyazaki's stuff in unbelivable quality. Fugazi k ows what's up.

Fist of the North Star is decent but homoeroticism abounds in this flick.

Project A-KO is great. Cute girls in school uniforms going to town in a humorous sci fi tale.

Riding Bean is a little known but very good "wheel man" flick

...the Armitage titles are tight...especially 'Dual Matrix'

...i was fuckin' with Kiddy Grade but the plots in the first couple of episodes were a bit to slow and not very engaging...i heard it got better as the series progressed, but i didn't feel like shelling out any more paper for the shit...maybe i'lll get it on the dl...

...Cutey Honey was pretty fresh...the character design is sick...the plot and sexual humor is a bit corny tho...

Originally posted by LENS@Oct 14 2004, 11:05 PM

Miyazaki's stuff in unbelivable quality. Fugazi k ows what's up.

Did you know we're getting four more Miyazaki films here in the States in November?

Porco Rosso

My Neighbor Totoro

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

and the brand new one "Howl's Moving Castle".

Nausicaa has been compared to Lord of The Rings as an amazing epic. The current version in the U.S. is cut down crap. This will be amazing.

Totoro is one of Ebert's favorite Miyazaki films; I have yet to see it. I hear it's incredibly beautiful.

Howl's Castle is going to be amazing. All of the beauty and magic of Spirited Away.

I can't wait... November first!

Originally posted by Zack Morris@Oct 14 2004, 04:11 PM

defintely need to check out FLCL...its kinda more off the beaten path of traditional anime but its fucking AWESOME....all my favorites have already been mentioned in here so thats all I can giv you.

if you didnt say it , i was gonna. by far the best (and shortest) series i have ever watched. so good , so bizzare , and it sticks with you after you watch it., sorta like the first time you made out with a girl and stuff.

....i slowed down on the whole otaku bit for the last 5 years..

but i will tell you that buying anime on dvd is the worst choice you can make..

you are better off doing that extra little detective work to find a shop or person that has that shit on vhs subtitled or dubbed..cause the average episode is 21 minutes 65 seconds and when you buy dvd you only get 3 to 4 episodes for 19 to 30 bucks...

it aint worth it unless your are collecting older series like ranma or tenchi..hell even slayers

go bit torrent if you have a good connection or your p2p of choice and just slap them on vcd or dvd.. much cheaper

edited to pat myself on the back for not clicking on an anime thread for so long..and not ranting about why fist of the northstar is still the best violent anime ever

i dont know much about anime, but my flat mates has an anime copy of "ichy the killer2 or something. apparntly its pretty brutal..

el producto, i could probably give u directions to a few shops which may sell em (comic book types) but tbh, a lot of HMVs now have an anime section.