Anheuser-Busch Threatens Missouri Rice Boycott

Dick Quickwood

WASHINGTON - Anheuser-Busch Cos., the nation's No. 1 buyer of rice as well as its largest brewer, says it won't buy rice from Missouri if genetically modified, drug-making crops are allowed to be grown in the state.

The St. Louis-based beer giant, which says it is concerned about possible contamination, is the latest company to express concern over plans by Ventria Biosciences to grow 200 acres of rice engineered to produce human proteins that can make drugs...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_genetic_crops

i doubt this is the real reason. but what the hell might the real reason be? also, this contrasts with their new commercials that try toget the viewer to identify the budweiser brand with supporting the american economy.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this has nothing to do with them not supporting the american economy. actually, if anything, it's supporting all the people who would oppose having biogenetically engineered rice in their beer.

i'd suprised if their motives were thsi simple and altruistic, but it's a nice idea.

The UK is way ahead of the US in terms of recognizing

and boycotting genetically modified (GM) foods and products.

It's gotten to the point where entire 'Gardener Societies' made

up of 'Mums, Grans and Nannys' will go and destroy GM crops.

Brittan is a nation of gardeners and they just wont take it.

The interesting things.... most Brits are blaming american influence

as the reason why the government hasn't outright banned all GM crops,

which is clearly what the was majority of the population wants.

* typos in that last paragraph were contradictory to what I meant.

i know that our GMO policy fucks the third world.

any grain they are giving for planting can't be sold in most of the world, because it's GMO, and we won't buy it in the U.S. because we don't buy thrid world grain.

who knows what busch's motives are.

some powerful guy is friends with some other powerful guy and they wanna do each other a favor would be my guess.

I need to be schooled on this as well.

The one thing I do know about is when seed companies use genetically modified seeds that don't allow the crop to produce seeds of its own. This way seeds are only good for one season and the farmers have to buy every year. In most cases they don't even have the option to get seeds that aren't 'genetically enhanced.'

edit: I know symbols will be the one to break it down for the class. help us symbols

Originally posted by seeking@Apr 13 2005, 02:44 PM

this has nothing to do with them not supporting the american economy. actually, if anything, it's supporting all the people who would oppose having biogenetically engineered rice in their beer.

i'd suprised if their motives were thsi simple and altruistic, but it's a nice idea.

The way it sounds from the first post...What the fuck do they care as long as it doesn't find it's way into their beer? or the American publics "shrimp and fried rice etc..."?

The impression that I got from the first post was that someone is using certain space in that state to grow this mutant rice for making medicine--->Anheuser Busche happens to get rice that is made in the same state (from someone else?)---> they are threatening not to buy their normal rice from their normal supliers because someone else in that state is making abnormal rice to be used as medicine?--->????????

From what I read in the first post (if it's true)---> I say we boycott Anheuser Busch! Fuck Budweiser!

As long as this mutant rice dosn't find it's way into beer or the dinner plate, then what the fuck!?!? Let them make some medicine dammit!!!

AE degree thingie: GM crops have been shown to have a variety of negative effects.... so much so we aren't even sure what will happen... Some studies have shown some GM foods to alter peoples DNA... so this shit can mutate you.

SF1: I think it's about using the same land used for GM crops. Growing pharms on farms one season, then regular crops the next, the regular crops will be affected because the soil is contaminated. That's what this is about I think.

Originally posted by bobthebuilder@Apr 13 2005, 01:44 PM

My guess is they don't want to get sued. Would you want to be putting GMG in you? i sure as hell wouldn't , that shit has the capability to be unhealthy. If we don't buy it from 3rd world countries why the fuck would we buy it from the US its obviously cheaper to import it...

Go beer.

uh, actually most u.s. grain is GMO

you are already putting it in your body.

(for example, if you eat cereal, use corn oil, vegetable oil or anything with those products in it, you've eaten GMO)

there is no solid direct evidence linking GMO to health malaise.

however, it is also one of those things we haven't really had the oppurtunity to observe over many years.

there are also science camps that claim there is some problem with GMO

the jury is still out on the safety issue.

it's takes a lot of evidence to convince the scientific community one way or another.

but europeans are nervous and don't wanna fuck with their food supply.

who can blame them?

GMO crops do have some residual effects in the soil, which is why the third world doesn't want to plant it, then they can't export it to a large part of the world.

there have been lots of good things to come out of GMO too

the crops are more resistant to disease and bug destruction

and a lot of them taste or look better.

a tangelo is a GMO after all., just more old school.

now they are getting even more radical with the modifications though, and it is starting to create more of a furor. people don't want animal DNA in their plant DNA, and no wonder, it just doesn't sound right.

CONTROVERSY OVER GENETICALLY MODIFIED

ORGANISMS: THE GOVERNING LAWS AND

REGULATIONS

Kendy L. Keatley

Gilead Sciences, Boulder, Colorado, USA

Genetically Modiüed Organisms (GMOs) are increasingly becoming a topic of

controversy in the U.S. and abroad. The public is questioning their safety

and wanting the products labeled as genetically modiüed. There are other concerns

from some of the scientiüc world and some government ofücials and

organizations such as the Food&Agricultural Organization (FAO) that question

whether adequate research has been done to qualify GMOs as safe for long-term

use. Of particular concern are the allergenic properties a GMO may impart,

possible transfer effects of antibiotic resistance (given that antibiotic resistant

marker genes are used for many GMOs), the expression of previously unexpressed

traits, and the drift of pollen from genetically modiüed crops. It has also been

noted that the laws and regulations governing the biotechnology world are

outdated, are not comprehensive, and span too many agencies. The primary

agencies currently regulating biotechnology are the U.S. Department of

Agriculture (USDA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

A good information resource for biotechnology is the USDA’s web

site, Regulatory Oversight in Biotechnology. The site gives an overview

of all three agency responsibilities, and provides links to all of the laws

and regulations governing biotechnology for the agencies. The site

address is

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/brs/index.html

Hey mister straight-edge, People buy beer for the "mind numbing"effects. Everyone knows that if you drink too much for too long it'll take it's toll on your health eventually. Just like if you eat too much of certain foods you become a fat fuck. The point is that they don't want DNA altering possibly cancer causing shit in the ingredients they use to make their beer. Good for them.

I'd go with the "interferes with corporate profits" angle. I seriously doubt Anheuser-Busch gives a shit about contaminated rice getting in their beer. But, I bet that the prospect of GM rice being unreproduceable terrifies them. Monsanto pioneered this deal. Their idea was to offer Monsanto GM seeds world-wide DIRT CHEAP, and in so doing, eliminate all the regular non-GM crops. That would make the entire world dependant on Monsanto for seed.

Hungry? Not like we will be if Monsanto controls the food supply....

This sort of thing causes people to attack the castle with pitchforks and torches.

Probably, but good for them anyway. Knock them when they do fucked up shit, and incourage them when they do the right thing...regardless of their profits. That's the way I see it.

Finding abstract excuses to hate just for the sake of it is pointless when in the grand scheme of things what they are doing (in this instance) is to our benifeit.

Save the hate for when they really do some jack-ass shit.

Originally posted by SF1@Apr 16 2005, 01:31 PM

Hey mister straight-edge, People buy beer for the "mind numbing"effects. Everyone knows that if you drink too much for too long it'll take it's toll on your health eventually. Just like if you eat too much of certain foods you become a fat fuck. The point is that they don't want DNA altering possibly cancer causing shit in the ingredients they use to make their beer. Good for them.

Trust me, I drink too much and have probably done drugs you've never even heard of. I just found it ironic, that's all. It'd be along the lines of a company that made nerve gas protesting because somebody was polluting their upline chemical supply with arsenic.