An intricate string of lies. (aka: my life)

iloveboxcars

I am a compulsive liar. I build and build more and more lies on top of each other and each person gets a different set of lies. I lie to basically everyone (other than my ex girlfriend). For instance, I just got done convincing a friend of mine that I have OCD I am just really good at hiding it... during the time I was convincing her of my problem I started thinking of all the ways I could do subtle things to make it seem like I do, in fact, have OCD.

I guess to a certain extent I do have OCD.. I do not feel accomplished if I have not lied to someone recently. I get anxiety.. the kind of anxiety cigarettes do not cure. Sometimes I forget which lies I used on who. Sometimes I use the same basic lie but go about telling it in different ways and I forget who got which version.

A problem with the lie I mentioned earlier is sometimes, considering how much I hang out with the person who was told the lie, the lie actually becomes a part of my habits. It happens without me knowing it, and when I do realize it's too late. I understand that I already have a slight case of OCD, but if I continue with this one it will definately grow into something more serious.

I have considered telling her I was lying.. but that would be getting caught. That's another thing I "pride" myself on. I have never been caught in a lie. Sometimes it gets a little messy but I am always able to explain my way out of anything. Sometimes I can even convince myself that the lie was never actually a lie.

I just needed somewhere to write this down where no one I know from the real world will find it. Respond however you wish.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew a guy who did the exact same shit non stop. I'de meet people for the first time and they'de be like "ohh silent bob, you know ***** he told me about the time you guys did all that graffiti. Man that sounds crazy". This guy didn't even write though and would just make up these crazy stories invovling me for the hell of it. And it wasn't cos he wanted to be a writer or anything. He'de make up all kinds of crazy shit.

I think he's stoped doing this though because he's in jail atm and would probably get into to some grief for talking ish.

I think mabye it's just a cry for attention. If she's a good friend you should probably come clean.

Originally posted by SilentBob

I knew a guy who did the exact same shit non stop. I'de meet people for the first time and they'de be like "ohh silent bob, you know ***** he told me about the time you guys did all that graffiti. Man that sounds crazy". This guy didn't even write though and would just make up these crazy stories invovling me for the hell of it. And it wasn't cos he wanted to be a writer or anything. He'de make up all kinds of crazy shit.

I think he's stoped doing this though because he's in jail atm and would probably get into to some grief for talking ish.

I think mabye it's just a cry for attention. If she's a good friend you should probably come clean.

I'm positive it isn't a cry for attention, I am not one to look for attention. Sometimes it's just space filler.. but most of the time I get that anxiety shit. Yeah.

if it was a cry for attention it would probably be a subconsciouss one anyway though.

i think you should come clean with everyone. i recently realized how much i lie, and sort of realized how people start building the whole way they interact with people on lies... you can turn into a real scandalous person real quick. eventually you get to the point where you're jacking your friends, going behind everyones back, etc., considering people you care about expendable and in your head its all rationalized and ok, in a completely self centered way. thats sort of a different type of lying than what you're describing i guess but i could definitely see that shit happening if it hasnt allready.

Thats really strange that you get anxious if you don't lie to someone. Normally I get anxious if I have lied to someone and I have to maintain the whole thing.

Umm at the risk of sounding very 'Dr.Phil'. Do you not like yourself or something? If you get nervous because you havn't lied to someone it sort of infers your worried about being yourself infront of people.

As for space fillers. If I had nothing of interest to say in social settings, I used to make up an outlandish story and when people went "wow you did that? Holy shit! Really?"... I'de say "actually, no.. I just made it up.. but that was an exciting 10 minutes or so wasn't it?" Mabye you could try doing that instead.

Originally posted by SilentBob

Thats really strange that you get anxious if you don't lie to someone. Normally I get anxious if I have lied to someone and I have to maintain the whole thing.

Umm at the risk of sounding very 'Dr.Phil'. Do you not like yourself or something? If you get nervous because you havn't lied to someone it sort of infers your worried about being yourself infront of people.

As for space fillers. If I had nothing of interest to say in social settings, I used to make up an outlandish story and when people went "wow you did that? Holy shit! Really?"... I'de say "actually, no.. I just made it up.. but that was an exciting 10 minutes or so wasn't it?" Mabye you could try doing that instead.

It's completely harmless, I don't lie to people I actually care about.. it may just be a way for me to pass the time in my head.. I don't know. As for liking myself.. well, on the one hand I think I am the greatest person ever, on the other hand I think I'm a complete loser/idiot.. I don't know how to explain that.

Yeah I can relate to that double self image thing... I think alot of people have that going on.

I don't know, in saying its harmless I get the impression your kidding yourself a little. If you lie to everyone except your ex girl, that means she's the only person you care about? Thats pretty full on. Also I think what fUD said is relevant. I think most people are fundementally good. The reason they do things that are bad is because they either justify it to themselves or they are just really bitter.

I'm not accusing you of being scum or anything but it sounds like your justifying your compulsive lying to yourself. ( I think most people have done that at some point)

Originally posted by Pinup

So is this why the befuddled & angry send you dead cats in the mail ?

....wait. Was that true ?

I don't lie here because I get no satisfaction out of it.

Yeah, it did happen.

I don't lie in writing because sometimes I forget certain mundane details that will screw me over in the long run.

I probably am just justifying it to myself.. but to say the only person I care about is my ex girlfriend is not a farce at all. I grew up in a family where we all just did our own thing. I have a basic knowledge of my family members but it stops there.

And I am pretty bitter towards most people.

Originally posted by Pinup

So is this why the befuddled & angry send you dead cats in the mail ?

....wait. Was that true ?

also, I don't understand where you would get the idea that my lying to people would some how get them to send me dead cats. No one, except my ex, knows I'm a compulsive liar, and she loves cats.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

also, I don't understand where you would get the idea that my lying to people would some how get them to send me dead cats. No one, except my ex, knows I'm a compulsive liar, and she loves cats.

fuzzy logic.

boxcars lied to me, i think i'll send him a fuzzy dead mammal.

it could happen. this is a world where people stick plastic up their bum to let out spaghetti shaped shits.

either way, that cat story just made me laugh, and asking you whether it was true or not was a joke.

conclusion : new § .

go see a therapist

my gf works with a girl who is a pathological liar... and she thinks she gets away with all of her bullshit stories but guess what .... everybody knows she's lying

i bet more people know you're lying and laugh about how slick you think you are behind your back...

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont know, if you were saying plain tales i wouldnt mind the whole thing. I have a friend who always lies about shit, chicks, beatdowns, whatever..we all know it but dude is such a storyteller you can see he does it for his personal, and thirds amusement, we all love him and his stories. You could send that kid to a therapist and lose a fine future novel writer or something.

So i dont know dude, i've always felt that soul/mental problems (everyone has their own) should be dealt with creativity and not therapy. I dont believe in therapy at all, i believe that we all have our talents and our malfunctions and very often its the same coin. Start writing, become a lawyer, protect your friends and lie to make something out of that.

my 02

I had a friend in the military that I knew since bootcamp that was just like this. I think most everyone has told a few lies in their life. But for "normal" reasons, like trying to avoid a situation or to not get in trouble, or a "white lie" to not hurt anyone's feelings. But guys like my friend and perhaps iloveboxcars just lie non-stop about anything and everything. Their entire life is a complete fabrication, told through a series of elaborate lies. I often wondered if it's linked to some sort of disorder, because it just doesn't seem normal.

I don't know if you call them compulsive liars or pathological liars. But whatever they're called, I notice that catching a pathological liar in a lie and exposing him and telling him about it, to him it's like worse than murdering his wife and kids. Whereas a convential or "normal" liar in that same instance may just feel stupid and think "damn he caught me".

The guy I knew in the military used to say everything about how he owns 2 motorcycles and a fleet of SUV's and trucks, how his wristwatch (which was obviously fake) cost $25,000. He told me his uncle was an 4-star admiral in the navy. He's black, and currently there were no black 4-star admirals. I questioned him about it and he had the nerve to say that his uncle was white. HAHAHA. Then he told me about how he's signed to a record label and his album is about to drop, and how he's done songs with Eminem, E-40, Nelly, and various others. At the time he was 19 and he claimed he had 6 kids. He used to stay in the barracks on base and he used to lie to his roomates about all the girls he was bringing in the room. No one ever saw these girls, because apparently they only came when everyone left. Used to piss me off. Only reason why I loosely considered him a "friend" was because we were (coincidentally) from the same area, went to bootcamp together, the same schools together, and were stationed on the same ship overseas. But hearing him lie non-stop used to make me mad but then I just got used to it and didn't care anymore.

A "conventional liar" usually will lie if they broke a window and don't want to get in trouble, or tells her grandmother that the ugly sweater she bought him was great as to not hurt her feelings. Basically there's a "point" and a "purpose" to it all.

L. S. Selling describes a "pathological liar" as "a person having a constellation of symptoms ... characterized psychopathologically by a very definite tendency to tell untruths about matters which perhaps could be easily verified and which untruths may serve no obvious purpose."

Archived