Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

An Inconvenient Truth

Discussion in 'News' started by RumPuncher, May 31, 2006.

1. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

2. KT08

KT08 New Jack

Re: An Inconvient Truth

So Iv'e heard, " it's the only movie where people gasp when they see a chart"

I have no issue with the Al Gore Narration. He had this really cute idea of a website that would project a movie of the earth from space ( all the time), in order to show people that their earth is a beautiful place and that they should take care of it. Never happened though, I'm pretty sure the funding for it just dissapeared in the past few years...

I don't think theyr'e trying anything subliminal, it seems aimed at only an american audience, so mabye it's just a desperate attempt at a wake up call. Yet the people who need to see it the most won't, so we'll see how effective this ends up being.

3. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Junior Member

i agree with KT08, the people who ought to see it, wont. i also agree that its not just some liberal ass shit, it is important, it is a big problem, its not just americans that are doing it but we sure the fuck aint helping. from what ive heard, gore has gone through some sort of change after 2000, i think if i lost the presidential election i would too. i do think he got boxed in as a robot unfairly in 2000, but shit mutherfucker you look so shiney and greasy and botoxed now its scary and you are doing everything you touch harm by putting your mug on it. which is a shame. i think its a case of heart in the right place trying to do the good thing but most americans wont be able to get past the simple things and see that its a movie about an important world issue.

age with grace you old farts. if seeking ever gets botox then i just dont know what ill say.

4. shitting

shitting Veteran Member

were all going to hell

5. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

Botox: The second worst thing to happen to politics since Reagan.

6. Larry Pubes

Larry Pubes Member

i was flipping through a communication arts(design mag) a couple of weeks ago and i came across this poster by a design firm out of south korea for the world wildlife fund..it was a tsunami made of garbage and the tagline said that every year 14 trillion tonnes of garbage is dumped into the oceans. fucking insanity.

7. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

I think Gore is doing the right thing by using his 'fame' to promote a worthy cause.
    He could just do the speaking tours like Clinton and make a boat load of money,
    but he's lending a hand to a cause that he probably believes in. I think it's noble.

8. the.crooked

the.crooked Veteran Member

They are both doing pretty noble things. Clinton has been working with his own non-profits to help increase the health among america's youth. Diabeties is quickly becoming a major problem among our children and at least hes tryin to help with that.

My mom went to an advanced screening of this film tonight. She works for the environmental defense fund, and is quickly becoming closely associated with a lot of this sort of stuff. She said the film is quite sobering as to the severity of our current situation. Which I can only hope will impact people in some large manner.

Next wednesday I am going to a dinner with her where we will get to speak to Gore himself about the film and other things. It should be fun. A friend of mine at school, his film thesis was a documentary on his car that runs on vegetable oil. I think I am gonna give Gore a copy. It is a rather amazing documentary. He was able to interview many of the figure heads within the greasecar movement. Along with those people he also got Morgan Freeman, Yoko Ono, Tommy Chong and Noam Chomsky. Chomsky has some crazy shit to say about the historical context of america's transfer to a commuting oil driven society. Freeman actually is rather involved in the community as he is a partner in a newly formed biodesiel refinement company. They are opening the first biodesiel refinement plant in america in Lousianna in the next several years.

There have been tons of recent articles and reports about the effect of global warming. I have access to most of them if people are interested. Lemme know and I will post if people want em. When I say reports, I mean studies carried out. Not just the news reports about those studies.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  9. WORDISM45

WORDISM45 Senior Member

i look forward to seeing it

10. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

gore has been pumping this issue up for years, it's not a new thing for him.
    i don't care who is talking about global warming, more people in the us need to listen

it was super funny the other night when i heard one of the local affiliate newscasters say
    "up next, more on the global warming debate"

i mean, who the fuck are these idiots kidding
    it's still a fucking debate to these morons
    who probably are saying the same shit about evolution

i'm getting to the point where i don't care about anything at all anymore
    my nihilism is reaching all time highs

ilike docus though, and i like gorey
    i'll watch it

11. the.crooked

i think im gonna ask al gore for a job this wednesday. i figure the worst that can happen is he will say he can't help me. that he is glad to see i am a young person concerned with these issues, and then be annoyed for the thirty seconds he remembers me. but if he says yes, well then goddamnit i got a job through al gore.

symbols- yeah. its just like how "the debate among scientests over evolution still thrives"... the ability to keep accepted scientific theory out of mainstream thought by using its own language against it is old hat. its fucking annoying. it doesn't help, however, that a large majority of the scientific community has no clue how to communicate with the general public.

right now, my mom is dealing with a perfect example of this. She is the public outreach and advocacy person for the EDF in houston. The unfortunate thing is that because the foundation itself is mostly comprised of scientists, economists and their ilk, they have no conceptions of communication or marketing. They hire my mom to do so, but when she is actually progressing with making contacts within large orginizations and creating some good buzz about their projects, she has her hands tied because the higher ups want a "grass roots" initiative. This is the problem with the scientific community and social initiatives being directed by them. Because of either only the concern with the actual issue at hand, eg fixing global warming, or a lack of understanding as to how to initiate social change, eg missing the big picture, they end up with this bullshit stance that does nothing to actually inform people. This "save the environment one person at a time" bullshit is rediculous. I don't understand why these people whom obviously care about what is going on and want to create change find themselves so shortsighted within their own beurocracy, agendas, and lack of public understanding. Everytime my mom tells me about the goings on of her office, I wonder how I, at nineteen years old, can immediately see the problem and find a solution but they can't. I wish I could talk some logistics in to these people so that perhaps some good could actually come of the information and programs they are pushing.

Either way. I think this dinner wednesday will be rather interesting. I have a bunch of shit I wanna say to and ask of the ex-vice-pres.

12. !@#$%

people get old and crotchety and they have their own political battles
    you should've seen new orleans post katrina
    it seemed so obvious, but it just was not happening
    it left me wanting to kill

trying to get smart, opinionated, and stubborn fucking people to agree can be next to impossible

13. the.crooked

agreed. it is just very frustrating to see my mother hindered in the job she was hired to do by those who hired her to do it.

14. !@#$%

yup, that is what 'bureaucracy' is all about

15. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

I'm fur it... I like Gore too, closest thing to an honest politician I've seen in years.