Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

an extensive use of 'quotation marks'

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by HELLxO, Mar 10, 2004.

1. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

i may be a nobody...and my 'opinion' may not matter to any of you...and who knows i may even get a few people who will call me a 'snitch' or a 'cop'...but...oh well....i feel like voicing my 'opinion'

ill start off with a quote from all of your 12ozers best friend

i fully agree with it...and honestly..anyone who doesnt...either got involved in graffiti after 2000 or is a part of the problem....it seems graffiti took the same route as RAP MUSIC..after 1999..everything went downhill..even fat joe is using that bullshit trendy 'lets get on' flow now...anyways..im not sure what started this downfall....but i hear more and more excuses and acceptance for blatent biting/'influence' and unoriginal garbage...and yes..the main source for these excuses being heard is the internet...so is that what started/caused the downfall?...i dont know....but it seems to ME that all the old ethics of graffiti which came out of the hip hop/'urban' 'scene' which also used to be heavily used by RAP MUSIC aswell have been replaced with this for-the-moment 'im just having fun' mentality...noone seems to put any thought into their letters anymore..its almost unheard of to bring a sketch to a wall..nobody puts in the time they used to to make original creative well made letters..nobody cares about the letters...which..is what graffiti is..or at least thats what i thought it was when i got involved in it.....like the lyrics of RAP MUSIC..nobody cares anymore..its all about 'getting on'....same as graffiti..its become tolerable for people to 'get up' with sissy soft ass letters..just as long as theyre 'getting up'...theres just way too much tolerance for complete garbage...people switching up styles to follow trends...people comming out of nowhere and hitting 200000 trains with pansy sloppy letters...blatent biting..or i should say heavy 'influence'...its all garbage.....im not an 'up' writer by any means..and i dont even have the best painting skills...but my letters will stomp the shit out of most of the garbage rolling around right now...and..when im happy with my skill at painting ...i may just do that.........i dont know...i probably didnt get my point across..i could type for days about this..but it hurts my eyes and head...so ill leave you with a quote from a recently caught hope4 train

HELLxO

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00419759f00000001.jpg

just incase fotango sucks

"every piece should be like a well written song"
    -hope4(or..whoever he quoted that from)

2. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

"awesome"

"intense"

"shocking"

"dam!!!!!!!!!!"

"sarcastic"

"witty"

"bored"

"hungry"

3. porque

porque Senior Member

...not every writer is hiphop...

...and not every writer does biten/'influenced' work...if you look on here that's what you'd think though...mostly becasue the poeple that do that kind of work are the same people that are more than happy to self promote themselves and get their friends to do it too...there are still people that work hard on their letters...people that are dedicated to their craft...these are the people taht are going to stick aroundd longer...kids that jump on moving bandwagons are pretty likely to fall off sooner or later...

4. InDY_500

InDY_500 Veteran Member

"so true"

5. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

yes..there are still 'real' writers out there...im well aware of that..and i should have pointed that out...just as there are still alot of 'real' RAP 'artists' out there...i bought the latest gangstarrrrr and blackmoon albums 'recently' and was more than pleased..and i suggest you go get those albums and relate everything said in those albums to 'graffiti'..especially blackmoon(total eclipse)........and..im also well aware that alot of kids dont listen to RAP MUSIC..and thats fine..i guess.....but..RAP MUSIC and graffiti developed together and share alot of the same characteristics and ethics..or..used to.....and maybe since RAP MUSIC went downhill...graffiti started seperating itself from it['s.ethics]..and now..the new wave of kids comming on dont see real RAP MUSIC and dont learn the ethics of hip hop..and they dont see real 'graffiti' and dont understand what it used to be.....and yes..im sure alot of my opinions are based off what ive seen and heard on the internet...especially since i didnt even have the internet up until 2 years ago..and before then still loved 'graffiti'...but...i bench..and seeing alot of the garbage rolling around im sure i would have developed these same opinions sooner or later with or without the internet....kids that self promote are still painting those trains..and people will see those trains whether they self promote or not...i could care less about 'self promoting'...but if its garbage being self promoted..its..garbage..whether they posted it themselves or not..and thats what my problem is......its like..you kids have developed a new set of ethics for graffiti since the ones generated through hip hop left...and now its the internet thats generating these ethics..'you stole my flick and posted it in another thread..you BITER!'..'youre posting your own flicks..TOY!'..'you posted in the wrong section on the forum...TOY!!TOY! TOY!!'...what about 'your letters suck ass..'TOY' 'BITER'!!'?.....and theres the kids who paint who are just 'having fun:) ' and throw up a 100 garbage trains...but these trains are going to last alot longer than your for-the-moment 'im having fun' phase..and alot of the slop just doesnt deserve to be rolling around the contenent for a long period of time..let alone at all.....if you want to 'have fun' go paint your local chill wall...yes..painting should be fun and you should enjoy it..but you should respect it..and treat it properly(especially on trains...its a joke that some of you kids call yourselves 'railfans' and tolerate some of the garbage being thrown on these trains you apparently love...taking pretty pictures of trains doesnt necessarily make you a 'railfan')...'graffiti' just isnt respectable anymore(>with a 'few' exceptions<)....people just dont care anymore...and are willing to almost 'look the other way' to all this garbage as long as theyre 'gettting up/on' and 'having fun'.........but again..my eyes are starting to hurt....so....im going to go cry and punch my pillow until i have to go to class:D

6. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

one more thing....maybe its that people are looking to 'graffiti' for 'influence' for their letters..maybe thats the problem...same as RAP MUSIC..everyone is just looking at what the next guy did and 'got on' with....maybe people need to start looking outside of 'graffiti' for their influence...look at your cereal boxes..billboads...anything..nature..'urban landscapes'..anything YOU come in contact with..anything YOU see in YOUR day to day travels that will help you with letters..colour scemes..etc.....maybe then everyone will have their own unique style....maybeeee:dazed:

7. porque

porque Senior Member

...sorry...but i just don't buy the graffiti is hip-hop arguement...sure when graffiti was being pioneered so was hip-hop...but not everyone from both fields were involved in the other...there were lots of the early guys that were rockin out to some death metal in the layups in the 70's...

8. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

thats not my 'argument' at all....its simpley a comparison...BUT..if you dont think 'graffiti' and RAP MUSIC came up and were based on using the same ethics and 'unwritten rules'...then you dont know either of the two..and are probably part of 'the problem'

i could care less what music anyone listens to...i listen to everything from mobb deep to radiohead...my argument is..>>>STOP PAINTING SISSY LETTERS<<<

:idea:

9. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

i see your frustration with the status quo. however that is your cross to bear, everyones history with graffiti is diffrent. no two people will see graffiti the exact same way, many may be close but never the same.

on the hip hop thing.
    rap has seperated from hip hop, in the mainstream anyway, unless you are trying to sell something, in which case 'HIP HOP' is thrown around like its a flash word.
    to find good rap music that is still hip hop you go away from the mainstream.
    same for graffiti.
    you will find kids who are just in it cuz it looks cool and they want to feel part of it. most of these graffiti writers are not in it for the long term, despite how they talk while active. those people are here, they make the poor quality work you describe, they wont be here forever. when they are gone a new generation will show up, doing the same thing though.
    all the while the core guys who push the limits will be doing the quality work you want to see and are inspired by. it just requires you to either look past the garbage or paint over it with your own work to improve the life of that train you are worried about.

its very cyclical right now the trend has a lot of new blood so some areas look weak. the fact the internet shows so many diverse styles causes people to no longer be influenced by a few picks from a mag or stuff just around town. they get to see what everyone around the world is doing. so regional styles are dying and we are getting a world style. people are putting new blood in it but the standard look is becoming more similar around the world.

i was one of the kids doing crap work for a long time, my history with graffiti is most likely much diffrent than yours. so my view on the fact that this is the case and we get over it and make our work the best we can is we you can do.

just cuz you have a view of how you think it should be doesnt mean anyone else will have to share that with you, though some may.

10. panic

panic Member

i agree with you to a small degree,

but this guys i agree with more...
    *= the stuff i wanted to say when i read your post, but didnt have to because ERIZENO said it.
    and oh yah
    your being who you are and what you have done in the past is irrelivent.
    i didnt like that tag you put up on my crappy piece i did... which i just remebered. that was gay, but i got you back :)

and oh yeh, letters, style and tightness is not as important as who you are and how you represent. when i see a peice, tag, or throw i tend to relate that work to your personality (this pertains to those i know and have met.. others, well.. i can imagine)
    i try not to judge writers by there works so much as there heart. i like to paint with new guys, and obviously there letters suck, but if they try and they love it then there my homies. its great and all to have dope style and bring sketchs to paint because you will probly be pulling off some tight shit, but i never liked painting a sketch, i never learned the method and i havnt done it for at least 2 or 3 years now. i prefer to paint from the heart(or head). I can paint faster, and something will always be different.. plus i dont sketch alot like you.

all in all your opinion is yours to hold and cherish.

wheres syce in this hizzle???

11. dirtyeskimo5

dirtyeskimo5 New Jack

my couple of cents

january 4th 2004....I hit the yard with 20 cans. I spend 3 hours on a CSX with another homeboy going for the end 2 end collabo. It was 15 degrees. Amtrack workers all over. We must of dipped at least 10 times. We finished our shit and to me it was on fire. Color Matching
    pieces with over 10 colors in each piece.

Personal opinion, I would rather paint one nice end to end collaboration, then go destroy the line with 10-20 oversized throw-ups that deserve to be in alleys, not fr8s. To me fr8s are for pieceing not tossing your shit over and over down the line. I believe in bringing new letters to the table, trying new shit and doing opposite of what my homies do. Hey man....Next time I see that slop we are talking about in my yard, I will go over it with a 10 color piece.

12. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

first off...its off topic..but none the less...panic..im not sure what 'tag' youre talking about..but if i went over something of yours..it wasnt personal..and if you got me back..then thats that...whats fair is fair

anyways...i agree with ERIZENO for the most part of what he said as being 'the way it is'...but does that make it tolerable? does that mean it should be incouraged instead of discouraged?...why should the standards of 'graffiti' be lowered because its in the 'mainstream'?...howd it get accepted as 'mainstream' to begin with?...why arent these people being ridiculed and discouraged for painting weak unoriginal letters?..i dont understand why its being accepted just because 'everybodies doing it'....yes we now have global influence through the internet...but theres a big difference in 'biting/unoriginality' and influence...you can look a 'piece' on a 'euro' 'clean train'..or a 'piece' from LA..or a throw from san fraaaaaansiscooo or new york and be like 'oh..hey...i could probably do that to do this:idea: '..that would be influence...but kids are stopping short and just saying 'i could do that..:) ' and blatently stealing styles..stealing flows...reproducing letters...and putting out garbage...and not even doing it properly...and its being accepted as 'the norm' or 'the way it is'...which is wrong..in MY 'opinion'...thats the way I see it....and im not trying to get praise or gain 12oz/'graffiti' acceptance by starting this thread....im simpley stating MY outlook on 'the situation'.......and panic..>I< dont agree with this: "and oh yeh, letters, style and tightness is not as important as who you are and how you represent" pertaining to 'graffiti'....'graffiti' is an annonomous 'artform'...to ME 'graffiti' is ALL about 'letters, style and tightness(by tightness ill assume you mean originality and all around 'good form' or quality or something along those lines)'...i think in order to have all this you should 'represent' properly..and respect what it is..or what its supposed to be...but 'graffiti' to ME is a craft...just like any other...if you have the ability to do it well..it doesnt matter who the fuck you are...and for the most part..people will never know who you are because of the annonimity of 'graffiti'(other than the people you paint with..and...for people to paint with you..they probably share your view on 'graffiti' and should know and like 'who you are')...if it was really about who you are..youd probably be writing the same signature you use to cash cheques with....buuuut..if you truely do have a completely original flow/style..then yes..it most likely will reflect on who you are..because youd have used the same influences and experiences that make you who you are..but wont necessarily..or it doesnt really haave to..in MY opinion...thats the way >I< see it......and as for new kids...yeah..theyre going to suck...but if you take it upon yourself to paint with them..you should guide and teach them about the ethics of 'graffiti' and whats acceptable and what isnt...and if theyre new..and really do 'love it' and are willing to 'try'..then they should listen to you for being someone of experience......>I< personally wouldnt paint with someone if i thought their letters and ethics were complete garbage..or more so if they were new and werent willing to take my advice into >consideration<.........annnnnnd as for 'sketches'..i like 'sketching'..i was into drawing before i got involved in 'graffiti'...and im not saying you have to use a 'sketch' or even 'sketch' at all if you dont like it...i was just using that as an example of putting in time to develop quality letters before you go out and 'crush freights'...for the most part i dont bring a 'sketch' when i paint...but when i want to try a new idea out or see what i can do differently to my letters...ill usually draw it out and see if it works..instead of putting out garbage that >doesnt look good< on a wall..or freight or whatever...............but thats how I work...if you can produce quality original work without 'sketching'...thats fine........but...i feel like im writting a book here...so...um...until next time:D

13. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

well the influence you want to share with everyone is not an option and it never will be. you will have to grow past your current view, and just look past the fact this occurs. there is no way to reach out to each writer out there and tell them about your views. you have to get this in your mind ... graffiti is diffrent for everyone ... by the way you are talking i can see you still cant grasp that. i never was schooled by people in a way to learn about good letters it took me 7/8 years to learn that on my own. the whole while i was painting bad letters. the buff took care of most of them but i didnt have access to anyone to help me yet i painted ... its a reality in graffiti.

you need to get real, dont be so idealistic to think you can change this or even waste your time humoring the thought its an option. what happens out there on the streets and in the yards is reality, live with it and do your part or just walk away man. stop being so worried about it.

dont get me wrong we would all love to see most of the work out there being progressive and beautiful, but its not reality. it is disapointing to me too, but i just look the other way.

14. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Graffiti stopped being hip hop yonks ago.....

15. HELLxO

HELLxO New Jack

'graffiti' may be different for everyone...but garbage letters are garbage to everyone who has eyes in their head....I think 'looking the other way' is the problem..and is what made the bullshit get so out of control that it does seem unfixable..or not a 'reality'...but..if everyone would stop 'looking the other way' and do something about it..im sure it could be a 'reality'.....but..i guess thats whats wrong with the world..nobody cares..nobodies willing to put themselves out there to make things right.....maybe i should go turn up my favorite emo album and bang my head against a wall..maybe itll knock these CRAZY notions out of my head..and ill be able to live blindly like the rest of you:dazed: