Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

americans and THEIR BELIEF of creation?

Discussion in 'News' started by Frate_Raper, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Frate_Raper

Frate_Raper Veteran Member

I was reading this small blurp in a papper, I can't rember which one, and they were saying that the percentage of Americans that don't belive in evoloution was as high as 80%. Is this not thaught in school? is relgion playing that much of a role in the education system? Am I totally wrong?

I was shocked at reading this,I know alot of americans and alot from this board adn I know that none of the people I know could possible belive this.

Help me out here lets talk about this tell me is this true?

2. ledzep

ledzep Junior Member

wtf? thats crazy.

3. metallix

metallix Elite Member

yo its bullshit. some states..maybe most not.

4. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

possibly in some parts of the south.
    i'd really like to think that isn't true, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to ignorance.
    i'd like to see the source of that info.

5. porque

porque Senior Member

...i believe that percentage is pretty off...but i will say that most of the time evolution is emphasized as a 'theory' even when it's taught...and yes in some backwoods southern states it is not taught, or it is taught alongside creationism...ignorance is bliss...

6. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish Member

kansas schools are required to teach it as only a minor idea, rather emphasizing it as a hypothesis as opposed to a theory.

this whole "just a theory" attitude proves they have no idea of what the definition of a scientific theory is. Atomic theory is just a theory, so is plate techtonics, and Einstein's relativity. All of which have never been disproven, and in fact help predict outcomes, and manipulate nature. everything from this computer we type on, to our pet dogs are evidence that these "theories" work.

new mexico is awesome. they outright banned the teaching of creation in school. good job

7. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

on one of the episodes of Da Ali G Show, he held a group discussion between some evolutionists and creationists, and one of the creationists was like "monkeys are still give birth today, how come none of them give birth to a human?".... and i felt sorry for him...

8. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

^^^
    Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. Why is that? Huh? HUH? BECAUSE MANKIND IS ONLT 3200 YEARS OLD AND I AM A DIRECT DESCENDENT OF ADAM'S WANG.

9. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

I seem to remember my catholic grade school education presenting it somewhat as some idea other people had and that was it. total topic time dedication...somewhere under a minute.

But I currently live in a sea of red.

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

that shit was awesome. ali G kills it in those 'round table' interviews.

f.raper,
    no way is it as high as 80%. possibly in some small areas, but not as a whole. we're dumb, but we're not that dumb.
    well, yes we are 'that' dumb, but no, we dont all believe that.

11. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

12. porque

porque Senior Member

...it was probably a trick question...if you ask it right, you can get 80% of america to support anything...

13. Very, very relevant article from Wired magazine on the new creationism (Intelligent Design theory), and how it aims to snag a place beside evolution in class curriculums. I would be interested to see what symbols (the member formerly known as !@#$%) has to comment on it.

14. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

wow...that article was kinda scary.

it is true that the court of public opinion can be the most important one; it's not about the truth, it's about what people believe.

there is just an astounding amount of evidence to back up evolution.
    so many organisms have DNA sequences that are referred to as "evolutionarily conserved" regions.
    this means that the DNA in that area is too important to let mutate or slide to the side.
    many different species carry analogous DNA, it's why we can do research on bacterium, mice, drosophila, rats, etc, and it can tell us about those same systems in humans.
    the evolutionary tree is more than a theory since we have sequenced the genome of so many different organisms and can actually see the similarity between them
    of course this could also be attributed to the same intelligent designer, who must be responsible for all life on earth, not just human, so what of the ancestors in anthropology?

i'm still utterly convinced of evolution, i see the evidence everyday.
    what i'm less convinced of is the ability of humans to discern between fact and fiction.
    people who want to believe something are easily convinced.

i wonder about the long term effect of this kind of education on science in america.

it is important to question in science.
    always.
    but it is equally important to understand, and accept the validity of one theory over another based upon irrefutable evidence.

15. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

i was trying to rememeber where I read that article. it was the first thing I thought of when I clicked this thread. good show.

i can't understand how these creationists (the people are pushing this to be taught in schools) just won't even look at the evidence that, like symbols said, is there every day to see.