American Graffitti (Movie)

slum_one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was half expecting to read "yo, this movie SuCk3D Y0! i was thinking i was gunna see earsnot catching tags with a chapstick on an old lady's handbag, but instead it had that richie cunningham motherfucker in it. wtf omg lolllssszzzz omg omg". but alas, it was a legit thread. thanks

Disc 1

1. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley/The Comets

2 .Sixteen Candles - The Crests

3. Runaway - Del Shannon

4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love - Frankie Lymon

5. That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly

6. Fannie Mae - Buster Brown

7. At The Hop - Flash Cadillac

8. She's So Fine - Flash Cadillac

9. The Stroll - The Diamonds

10. See You In September - The Tempos

11. Surfin' Safari - The Beach Boys

12. He's The Great Imposter - The Fleetwoods

13. Almost Grown - Chuck Berry

14. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters

15. Little Darlin' - The Diamonds

16. Peppermint Twist - Joey Dee/The Starlighters

17. Barbara Ann - The Regents

18. Book Of Love - The Monotones

19. Maybe Baby - Buddy Holly

20. Ya Ya - Lee Dorsey

21. The Great Pretender - The Platters

Disc 2

1. Ain't That A Shame - Fats Domino

2. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

3. I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos

4. Get A Job - The Silhouettes

5. To The Aisle - The Five Satins

6. Do You Wanna Dance - Bobby Freeman

7. Party Doll - Buddy Knox

8. Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings

9. You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful (And You're Mine) - Johnny Burnette

10. Love Potion No. 9 - The Clovers

11. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners

12. Chantilly Lace - The Big Bopper

13. Teen Angel - Mark Dinning

14. Crying In The Chapel - Sonny Till & The Orioles

15. A Thousand Miles Away - The Heartbeats

16. Heart And Soul - The Cleftones

17. Green Onions - Booker T. & The M.G.'s

18. Only You - The Platters

19. Goodnight, Well It's Time To Go - The Spaniels

20. All Summer Long - The Beach Boys

One of my most favorite movies

Lucas nailed the early Sixties perfectly. During the time that this movie was actually set in (1964) I was thirteen years old--the same age as "Carol" who rode with John in the yellow '32 Chevy coupe. In fact, I owned a Dewey Weber t-shirt exactly like the one Carol was wearing in that film. My older friends were doing many of the same things that the kids in American Graffitti were doing.

We were surfing at the Treasure Isle Hotel on Seawall at 25th in Galveston. Cruising Seawall Blvd, buying cases of beer out the back door of the all-black "Sons of Hermann" hall on Broadway. Going parking with the girls out on the breakwater at Cherry Hill. Drag racing for money or "pink slips" (car titles--they were pink in California, but in Texas they weren't.)

Taking the girls drinking in the big cemetary on Broadway. Jumping off the T-Head at the T.I. at 25th Street in hurricane surf because the shorebreak was too big to paddle out through.

The sense of nostalgia, and a sort of "slipping away" of a way of life was palpable. It was "before drugs," before the Civil Rights struggle took center stage, before the Vietnam War got to be a huge monster waiting to kill you and your friends. After beatniks, before hippies. Surf movies were the height of coolness. The Beach Boys were young and healthy, and had not yet become fossilized old men.

Kids in junior high school were rebuilding small-block Chevy engines in their Dad's garage, dreaming of the day they would have a car to put it in. We argued about cam duration and valve seat angle. The older guys swore by six Strombergs, the "pussy" new rodders all wanted a big Holley four-barrel.

There were several "woodie" station wagons in town, all owned by hotrodder surfers.

Harley Sportsters could outrun anything on four wheels, and I had friends in Galveston that raced Harley Sportsters on a half-mile dirt track on Saturday nights. A Harley "74" was the coolest motorcycle ever built. The Harley guys all craved an Indian. Girls hung all over Knucklehead riders, Panheads were standard fare--Shovelheads were a rumor of technological advances yet to come. One of the older surfers I knew rode a Flathead 80, and when he parked it on the seawall, traffic slowed down because everybody wanted to have a look.

College kids rode Triumphs and BSA's and Nortons. "Serious" motorcycle riders rode BMW boxer twins. I once saw a Vincent "Black Shadow." We were awed by the reputation they had---fastest street-legal motorcycle in the world.

We hung out at the drive-in burger joint at 25th Street and Seawall. When the girls had to go home (11:30pm, and you better not be late...) we would go cruise down Post Office Street near downtown and flirt with the hookers in the "red light" houses.

The songs on this list^^^ ruled the air waves.

There was a huge graffitti sign painted on the seawall front at 37th Street that proclaimed "SURFERS RULE" in letters six feet high.

Too bad it's all gone forever.

Two high-school buddies have graduated, and at the end of that summer, are hot to shake the dust of Modesto, CA off their shoes and go to college. One, Richard Dreyfuss, is having misgivings. Maybe he's not ready. Maybe he should just stay right here and go to "J.C." (junior college.) His buddy, Ron Howard (the director) says "NO WAY! You got to come with me to college!' As they spend the last night hanging out in Modesto, cruising "The Drag," dropping in on the sophmore sock hop, going parking out on the levee, they come face-to-face with the realities of becoming young adults. Big John, the local king of drag racers is an old man at age 27, but he still meets all comers with unplugged dumps, and his '32 Chevy coupe is the undefeated Ruler of The Valley. Harrison Ford, in one of his very earliest roles, plays Bob Falfa, the idiot challenger who John proclaims (after he roars through a solid red light,) "real fast, but real stupid."

Suzanne Sommers, in all her 22-year-old glory, plays the Mysterious Blonde in the White Corvette whom Dreyfuss pursues all night.

Wolfman Jack plays the disc jockey who keeps 'em Turning and Burning all night long.

It's a great movie, one of George Lucas' finest artistic efforts. IT IS AS CLOSE TO REAL AS FULL METAL JACKET. Love it.

Originally posted by InDY_500

Disc 1

1. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley/The Comets

2 .Sixteen Candles - The Crests

3. Runaway - Del Shannon

4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love - Frankie Lymon

5. That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly

6. Fannie Mae - Buster Brown

7. At The Hop - Flash Cadillac

8. She's So Fine - Flash Cadillac

9. The Stroll - The Diamonds

10. See You In September - The Tempos

11. Surfin' Safari - The Beach Boys

12. He's The Great Imposter - The Fleetwoods

13. Almost Grown - Chuck Berry

14. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - The Platters

15. Little Darlin' - The Diamonds

16. Peppermint Twist - Joey Dee/The Starlighters

17. Barbara Ann - The Regents

18. Book Of Love - The Monotones

19. Maybe Baby - Buddy Holly

20. Ya Ya - Lee Dorsey

21. The Great Pretender - The Platters

Disc 2

1. Ain't That A Shame - Fats Domino

2. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

3. I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos

4. Get A Job - The Silhouettes

5. To The Aisle - The Five Satins

6. Do You Wanna Dance - Bobby Freeman

7. Party Doll - Buddy Knox

8. Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings

9. You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful (And You're Mine) - Johnny Burnette

10. Love Potion No. 9 - The Clovers

11. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners

12. Chantilly Lace - The Big Bopper

13. Teen Angel - Mark Dinning

14. Crying In The Chapel - Sonny Till & The Orioles

15. A Thousand Miles Away - The Heartbeats

16. Heart And Soul - The Cleftones

17. Green Onions - Booker T. & The M.G.'s

18. Only You - The Platters

19. Goodnight, Well It's Time To Go - The Spaniels

20. All Summer Long - The Beach Boys

and agian, there is no ZZ Top or Ozzy...

Archived