ambition and drive

ubejinxed

i'm at a point in my life where i'm trying to decide what to do with myself, 3yrs out of college and at a job and field i no longer enjoy. oh but what to do.

i have friends that are overachievers going to law school, med school, ivy league schools. all striving for some unknown end but nothing ever quite good enough. i look at myself who has always done enough for mediocrity. the typical B student. why do i not feel the innate desire to excel, when so many people do. what drives those people?

what type of person are you? the endless striver looking for excellence, the B student, the untapped genius or something else?

what do you think makes people want to achieve? parents, personal quest, or others opinion of you.

thoughts.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ube...I've already been there. One of the things that really sucks is wanting change in this economy. I finally decided to stay put at my job for now and work on some other things I've always wanted to do. I'm so bored at work its not even funny. Currently working on canvas and a few business ideas. I found working on ideas you really dig helps out with the I hate my job, industry, pay...whatever...deal.

since I'm bored...I'm going with the untapped genius option.

desire to achieve...sadly with most people its probably money...after that I'm guessing personal quest and probably close to last...they actually like doing what they're doing.

yah steve i'm sucking it up, but it's to much work for for that, and the quality of work suffers.

Arcel, i have no problem being myself, which i sometimes dislike because I lack the drive that i see in others, and want.

You think that money drives people to want to succeed that badly?

i dunno, they've done studies on mice i think, where they were placed in a situation where they would drown, and some gave up and some kept trying. i think that some people regardless of money some people are achievers. my sister is one of them. or does it just take a pursuit that you really enjoy?

i think what makes one driven is their relationship with their parents while they are a child. i was to never, ever fail. whatever dissapointment my mother feels, she makes sure that i feel it just as much as she does if not more. i can hardly ever relax, and i dont feel content, no matter what i have accomplished. being driven, at least for me, isnt that great.

I think money is used as a primary motivator a lot. There are other things that motivate as well. I know some people that spend all their time at work because they married the wrong person. The only way they can handle the marriage is if they are making lots of money to buy toys. and or if they are away from their partner most of the time...thus reducing the negative feelings.

All in all, I think doing something you really enjoy is the true path to happiness. I love what I do, just not who I do it for. I finally had to kinda forget about that bit, so I could maintain my sanity...plus it was affecting my work. I have a serious problem with authority. I always have and always will. Thats one of the main reasons I started my own business. I just need to put more time into it, so I can quit.

So, what changed? Why do you not like what you do? See if you can go back and find the original love for your field...might help. I guess thats kinda what I did. Like I said...not really digging who I work for, but I got into this industry because I like doing what I'm doing. I just had to create my own new challenges to be able to handle it.

Originally posted by ARCEL

i think what makes one driven is their relationship with their parents while they are a child. i was to never, ever fail. whatever dissapointment my mother feels, she makes sure that i feel it just as much as she does if not more. i can hardly ever relax, and i dont feel content, no matter what i have accomplished. being driven, at least for me, isnt that great.

Kill her, problem solved:king:

Guest Pilau Hands

It's a damn shame what they did to those mouses.

Ube, I have the same problem. However, I talk a good game, so if the topic of future plans, career, ever comes up, I sound like a go-getter. Then I go-get a sandwich and go home. I'm three years into college and have just now chosen a field that will require so much drive it will hurt, plus I'm getting a late start.

I recently met a guy at my school who at one point was working a full-time job while attending two separate schools full-time. He's a painter/visual artist that has basically done everything he can possibly do to learn about his shit, and is now just knocking on everyone's door for an opporunity. Talking to him made my excited to do the same, so I got his email address to pick his brain about some things, and it's lying around somewhere.

Some recognize what it takes to succeed out there and say, "Eh I'll do it later."

Its important to find something that really interests you

Some people can work entirely for money, but this is something I could never see myself doing

For example, I'm working at a mortgage company until I get out of school. The money is good and I have plenty of free time. However, I could never picture working here my entire life b/c it bores the shit outta me. I think too many people fall into the trap of working strictly for money and not for pleasure which can lead to miserable lives.

If you have only one chance at life, why spend it doind something that doesn't interest you? This thought motivates me.

So a couple of years ago, as corny as it sounds, I thought of people I admired. Whose career looked like fun? Jane Goodall stuck out in my head- she spent all her time hanging out with chimps and learning all she could. So what was her occupation?

She was an anthropologist. I changed my major to anthropology, and lo and behold, I was motivated. Here was a field that really interested me. My A's, B's and occasional C's went to straight A's. It doesn't matter to me that I won't be making tall loot when I do field work or when i take up a job as a teacher later in life. What matters to me is that I'll be enjoying myself, and thats what life should be about.

My dad still harasses me about going for a high paying, businessy job, but i know that its not for me. And when I got hired at this job my boss snobbily smirked and asked "Anthropology? What are you going to do with that?" (He's a millionaire who can't see past the dollars)

Sorry for the long answer, but basically, you have to find what really interests you (sometimes easier said than done. I have a close friend whose dealing with the same problem as you and can't think of anything)

lately i feel my friends are becoming professional students, not really sure what they want to do so they stay in school for like the 6 year plan. this is the worst thing that anyone can do. higher education is damn expensive and we all say i'm just going to pay these bills later, and get in debt for the next 10 years.

finish school, get the piece of paper, then pursue what job you like. i'm still trying to recover from a my first career choice. i loved the work but it what similar to a sweat shop, and didn't even pay enough money to pay the rent each month. is being an artist really a gift or punishment for shit i did in past lives?

i down play my intelligence for one reason or the other, i dont act stupid, its just that i dont make it a point to appear as smart as i really am. as far as acheiving things goes, i have a lot of goals and ideas, im very creative and things like that, but something is holding me back from reaching my full potential.

i also think people achieve things for different reasons, sometimes its there parents, sometimes friends or competition, and then i think sometimes they are just insecure and acheiving different things is the only way they feel that people will like or respect them. which is kind of sad in a way...

i was the not really caring student that did all his work in class but none of his homework because he didnt believe in it.

i still got mostly f's until i went to continuation school.

all my teachers loved me and always talked to me about how i was one of thier brightest students.

they might do that with every student though.

When It comes to certain things I don't mind not trying hard at all.

But I dont feel right unless I'm going for something, unless Im on a train headed some where moving, taking a hard class or trying to get into a good college. It's just a matter of feeling 'right' and happy with me I guess.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by johnny

take a vacation man. self analysis and re-evaluation are the key to staying on top of the bottom line. shit man, head to montreal and fuck french women, it's sorta like europe with a much better exchange...

the vacation thing is true as hell. last time i went on vacation i came back with the knowledge that doing what i do for work isnt what i want to be doing for the rest of my life... and i want to head north again soon.

im kinda lazy...so usually i do only what i need to be happily content....whether it means working really hard...or working half ass....im perfectly content with mediocre......i think every one does things for a feeling of satisfaction...so u have to decide whether u want the momentary feelings or the long term feelings...one u can work ahrd for or u can work half ass.....im always moving back and forth with those.....but im still cool where im at and where i appear to be going....decisions decisions decisions.....but u might be trying to please other people.....or u dont know what u want....or u may just need a vacation.....u decide...

i feel incredible drive in short bursts... mostly for making music, but also in other things.. i just try to remember how much i want to succeed in something when im not really feeling into it at that particular second... so like i just try to work at it and get through the tough spots because it really pays off.

but if you dont have something like that that you know you want to work at its a lot harder. i think you have to really sit back and just analyze wht it is you want and how to get it and whatnot.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

i want to head north again soon.

This is my main source of drive right now. My problems stem from not being sure what I want to do once there (I'm thinking remote northern areas), and how to go about it all. I want a cabin in an old growth forest in the Northwest. Fuck, maybe just a backpack full of what I need survive. Iceland is sick, too. So many choices......

i guess i just need to take a step back and re-evaluate things and find a career that is enjoyable and move to where it is warm! then maybe i will find the elusive drive and ambition

YAY for friday! !!!!!!! !!! ! ! ! !!!!!!!

cuz i can't take this cube anymore.