am i the only one that still listens to ska?

gfreshsushi

i've got a random playlist going on my computer right now, and a couple of ska songs have come up in a row, and it just got me thinking. seriously, am i the only one that still listens to their old ska albums? no more ska bands coming through on tour, no more local ska bands, no more ska kids.

maybe they all just turned into hipsters.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

Spanish ska is an essential part of boat partying here in PR.

I'm not partuclarly a fan, but I enjoy it greatly at the right moments.

ska is fucking terrible. it's nerd music for geeks. all that tutone shit is gay as hell. the music is stupid, the fans are stupid, doing the 'pogo' is stupid. seriously when i see people listening to ska, i honestly think they must be either incredibly dumb, or live in a sealed up vault, where it's 1992 all day, everyday.

honestly man, put the ska away, now.

**exceptions to this rule (no pun intended) are as follows:

OPERATION IVY: op ivy are not ska, no matter how ska-ish some of their songs might be. it doesnt even matter. op-ivy is one of the greatest bands of our generation and that will never, ever change. no matter how bad of a mood im in, if i put on op ivy, i'm instantly 16 again.

black ska from jamaica: i don't particularly care for it too much, but if you're real into the old school shit, that's fine. just make sure you know your stuff. this does not mean you can walk around and talk about ska, or dress in a ska-like manner though. it just means you can sit in your bedroom, listening to your own skatalites records, smoking ganja and being the fucking nerd that you are.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

To clarify: I only listen to ska in boats, while insanely drunk. In other words, when I'm dumb. Which is unfortunately often.

I have a big fat friend who despite being a very cool guy, still listend to ska.

He even does the 'fat boy ska' dance. It's great!

but his tastes span so much music that I know he's more than just a ska poser.

Guest im not witty

hahah this thread is hilarious.

op ivy as has already been covered. i uses to like catch 22's first album alot but i havent heard that in probably 5 or 6 years.

Originally posted by seeking

OPERATION IVY: op ivy are not ska, no matter how ska-ish some of their songs might be.

Ska is over, been over since before op-ivy or any of those trendy "dont call me punk" bands started stealing the upBeat.

Ska:

Skatalites, obiously

Prince buster

Roland alphanso

Jackie Opel

Jackie mitoe(sp)

Justin Hinds and the Dominoes

the ethiopians

the list goes on to include anyone involved in reggae for over twenty5 years or so.

all good ska music

then theres the steelers of ska:

bim skala bim

madness

this list goees on as well.

Originally posted by seeking

OPERATION IVY: op ivy are not ska, no matter how ska-ish some of their songs might be. it doesnt even matter. op-ivy is one of the greatest bands of our generation and that will never, ever change. no matter how bad of a mood im in, if i put on op ivy, i'm instantly 16 again.

black ska from jamaica: i don't particularly care for it too much, but if you're real into the old school shit, that's fine. just make sure you know your stuff. this does not mean you can walk around and talk about ska, or dress in a ska-like manner though. it just means you can sit in your bedroom, listening to your own skatalites records, smoking ganja and being the fucking nerd that you are.

^Ha.

Gfresh -

I can't listen to too much of the shit. Pretty much only OpIvy, LTJ (only Losing Streak), Parka Kings (really jazzy ska), and The Toasters (completely fucking two-tone)...

Those CDs only make it in once or so a year... but I plan on trying to sample some ska because I've never heard that shit used mixed well with anything anything else. If I ever get around to it I'll send you the track or something.

Guest im not witty
Originally posted by eyeofglass

ska sucks ska revival isnt cool you stupid fucks.....waaaahahahahahahah hopefully someone gets that

hahaha i get it..goddamnit! and that fucking band is about a billion times radder than any ska band could hope to be, and i used to really like ska. fo serious.

ska.

depends on what kind of ska...

i dig on alot of traditional ska like........ desmond decker, skatilites, jimmy cliff, dragoniers, bob marely.or howeverthefuck you spell his name... two tone. specials english beat, yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah...

third wave...... jump with joey, hepcat....

fuck who am i kidding....i havnt picked up one of my ska albums since 2001.....except my fishbone and skeletones albums i listen to like every day