ALSO KNOWN AS x BEINGHUNTED

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i dont want to be rude or anything but i hope to fuck that this doesnt just feature the usual (deleate as appropriate) "cool" / old-school / revered / "are they quite crosing the line between graff and art?" / media or publisher's favourite writer...

from that preview, i can see ket, cope and futura (?). not to criticise these guys but we've seen all that before. kets throw isnt all that (sorry to all you "thats proper graff shyt" peeps but its the truth) cope's outline doesnt change (taking nothing away from him at all) and futura's been covered before. i really want to stress that im taking nothing away from these guys but...

i just have a feeling this books gonna turn into a pretentious, coffe table, "lets try and change the worlds view on graff" type thing, which hipsters would proudly show off.

id much rather get a small, black and white fanzine anyday/

I'b be willing to bet these early photos are only 1% of what's in store.

Plus there's been no text excerts except for the mission statement.

I'm sure the book will feature content way beyound what else is out there,

even if the subjects (cope, futura etc) have been covered before.

Want an example? Read the Revs interview in the vaporz, or the Os Gemeos

interview in the original 12oz prophet. No one else is doing it like these guys.

there you go...revs. no matter how good the interview or the guy is, we've all read about him and know what he did and now does.

os gemos ive read about in my parents liberal papers' art section. i dont want to read about that again in a graff book. especially when that books from such a reputable name in the graff/media world. hell i dont know if id even class os gemos as graff...

i said it before, but give me a book of throws, passenger trains, dubs and graff in its more traditional sense and ill be happy. do we really need a next arty farty, photograff book?

not some more "pushing the boundaries..." bollocks, DESTRUCTION!

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by MrJackDaniels@Sep 1 2005, 06:33 PM

there you go...revs. no matter how good the interview or the guy is, we've all read about him and know what he did and now does.

os gemos ive read about in my parents liberal papers' art section. i dont want to read about that again in a graff book. especially when that books from such a reputable name in the graff/media world. hell i dont know if id even class os gemos as graff...

i said it before, but give me a book of throws, passenger trains, dubs and graff in its more traditional sense and ill be happy. do we really need a next arty farty, photograff book?

not some more "pushing the boundaries..." bollocks, DESTRUCTION!

Ok, rumpuncher tries once and you dont seem to get it.

Starting off, the book is called akanyc creating an aka series

of books to follow. Naturally NYC comes first being the mother of

graffiti as most of us know it. Just by that, you realise that theres no

such book without futura, cope, ket and a bunch of others as they are

the guys who set the standards and the whole graffiti presence in NYC.

Given that the book wont be nothing close to "cool" / old-school / revered / "are they quite crosing the line between graff and art?" / media or publisher's favourite writer... Still it brings you the situation right as it is. You have the right to like or dislike a bunch of stuff that shaped graffiti and you have the right to be in denial of where graffiti has been and how many faces it has as we speak. Talking about oldschool, in the static way you do, for something thats been happening roughly for 35 years is almost ridiculous.

As far as what 12oz has been always bringing to the table, well, you're being really small minded. Introducing revs, in the best interview there is from the guy, to an international audience is what creates the will to do something meaningfull instead of the standard outlines/color schemes and everything else you consider given. Bringing OsGemeos to the world (yes, 12oz did that) Almost created a new kind of graffiti and massive inspiration worldwide. Every 12oz project has been proved to be really essential in letting people know whats really up and why we all keep doing what we do presented in a visual form that not only makes everything appealing but has been always been the new shit to bite. All that for more than 10 years with no failure or halfstepping.

I'm getting a bit over the top right now but seriously, i'm just giving you a long analysis on how what you think doesnt say much.

As a tip on the side, buy the book, its probably your best bet into being part of history.

errrr... no offense tess and rum... but if you didn't make the book, or haven't seen it... i dont think you're in any position to be defending it.. my mistake if you have. and he wasn't all out attacking it... just saying that, thus far, it's unimpressed. I agree... but i thought the vaporz wasn't that great either... but hey, each their own and what not

Guest imported_Tesseract

Vanity, no i didnt make the book but most likely i know a thing or two more about it. Still thats not the point. A bunch of us found our way to this forum and stuck with it via our respect and appreciation to the 12oz magazine. You're in the position to defend anything you believe in either you did it or not, at least in my book(har har).

And ofcourse each to their own but i guess you have to see something in order to dislike it, trying to speculate the ammount of the things you wouldnt like in it is just an opinion thats coming out of someones ass, which usually carries the weight of a fart. Thats all.

i dont want to be rude or anything but i hope to fuck that this doesnt just feature

key words here are "i hope".

i never said anything about not getting involved, im already on the lookout for this over here and will somehow get a copy.

vanitys right, i wasnt all out attacking it, i was just voicing my concern.

Given that the book wont be nothing close to "cool" / old-school / revered / "are they quite crosing the line between graff and art?" / media or publisher's favourite writer

i dont know about you tess, but to me people like revs and futura do fit in to the above descriptions one way or another. eg. revs' sculptures - crossing the line between graff and art.

"you have the right to be in denial of where graffiti has been and how many faces it has as we speak"....

what?? where did i ever even begin to deny that graff doesnt have different faces? by saying that i would prefer to see trains or bombs over os gemos?

ill make this my last point / question because i keep forgetting whats happening but i dont think i ever said anything about 12oz as a publisher. never did i bring up anything about whether the publications raven comes up with are the right or wrong thing for graff or whether they half stepped or whatever?

Guest imported_Tesseract

I'll start from your last question, when you say that a) from all you see aka features some old cats that have been all over the place and noone wants to see more. and b) when you voice your concern that the book will most likely be another fartsy-artsy coffetable book about graffiti we dont need. I think you see my point.

In any way we dont agree on too many thing as it looks so it might be better to leave this discussion for now. Still, i'd really like to hear your opinion when the final product is in your hands, or your coffeetable at that.