alpha battles: no digital?????

cmeup

i think we should get rid of the digital images in tha alpha battles...

i think its not fair to all, and plus, half tha shit people do in that digital world, is impossible to do in sketches or on a wall/train..

keep it real, and stick to paper... thats my vote..

except maybe defy cuz he started that whole shit, or maybe even not... i think its just defeating the purpose of the sketch battles...

tease:mad:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest THEdude

digital is dope

they should make two threads

one digital one sketches.......

I don't know I suck

(a) what's not fair about it? I haven't had a set of markers in a decade, is it unfair to me when someone does a colored piece with markers? Or, since I have a huge box full of acrylics and can paint my ass of with them, would it be unfair if I busted some acrylics since not everyone has the loot for 50 8 dollar tubes of liquitex?

(B) as I've said before, there is no "do graffiti" button in photoshop, so how it detracts from a playful sketch battle is beyond me.

If you really want to make it fair, and make it all about letters then have one rule and one rule only NO COLOR. Otherwise it's just silly.

Guest dead fetus

i think, for the most part, it shouldnt really matter.. it all comes from the persons head anyway.

The only thing i might object to is the crazy photoshop fills... that dosnt really take any personal or creative skill to create.

Originally posted by dead fetus

i think, for the most part, it shouldnt really matter.. it all comes from the persons head anyway.

The only thing i might object to is the crazy photoshop fills... that dosnt really take any personal or creative skill to create.

to create the effect itself, no, you just run a filer. to make it look good? to pick the right colors and use an effect in the right place? of course it takes skill and creativity.

Guest dead fetus

i dont really consider someone to be 'creative' when they're using programmed effects that anyone can use.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Keep the digital.

If you've been around the digital realm for a while, you can easily spot what a programmed effect is, and what was actually created with originality.

Digital is a different skill, it's another tool. It makes certain things easier, it can add flashiness, but if you know enough about design you can see through this flashiness and determine if the creation itself is good or not. Example: that DFEKT guy who pussied out of the C battle. His stuff was flashy, it looked impressive, but his composition sucked, he used cliched elements, and it clearly looked like he didn't take enough time to tweak it. I've seen that style well executed, and it kicks ass... he just wasn't there yet.

And I don't see why "paintability" is an issue... if it is, then I'll have to stop doing my robotic stuff cause it's next to impossible to paint. This battle should be about how far you can take letters and their forms, regardless of medium. Let the kids who have the tools and the skill to go digital do so. Beer,

El Mamerro

hahahaha!

:P :P :P sorry yall bitch to much i member the rules were any letter on a wall, book, train, plane, in a house with a mouse.... lol did i say with a fox in a box? sorry i know im new but i use to just look at treads.. now i can replay and not mubble to my self as a scrool!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

first off there is nothing wrong with tha digital images...

when i said its not fair, i meant to those who dont have those certain programs to use... (as far as the winning goes, even though there isnt a prize, but still...) winners regonizition...

i cant post anyways, i dont got a scanner or digi cam or whatever anyways...

but i just think its kinda pointless to do something for a sketch battle on tha computer... maybe not even that, but like those crazy abstract fills... or tha effects....

fuck, i dont know... i know some of you can paint what you got on them digi's but i know some people cant paint alot of that shit also...

defy, can you paint that crazy shit you do in photoshop? i wouldnt think so, im not harpin' on you, just kinda making you an example... i know you've come along way, but shit, i dont think you can paint as crazy as you can imagine shit up on tha comp in digi land...

whatever, i just wanted to see what yall thought...

im highly enjoying the creativity and tha posts in tha threads... keep up tha good work, those who are posting..

tease

Guest dolomite

i cant paint the 3d crazy shit but all the other ones im pretty damn sure i can, by the way, im not using any "special effects" here is a list of tools i have used:

line tool

paint brush

airbrush

pencil

plus im in lack of a scanner and/or a digi cam.

Guest dolomite

funny, that i was the only person to be called out on digitals.. hahahaha

besides tesseract, and he was comlimented. HAHahaHAHahHA

Guest Stoney Blaze

...anything done in photoshop can be done with aerosol or prismas if you got experience and medium control.

what about cats with no scanner? when the only option is the digital route?

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Stoney_Blaze/A%20copy.jpg'>

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Stoney_Blaze/alpha1%20copy.jpg'>

...i spelled alpha: a-l-p-a-!

hahahahahahah:lol:

:dazed:

sorr ycharley

strongly disagree... as im sure mother has told you "LIFE ISNT FARE", learn to live with it... why should we have to be limited to a certain level of artistic expression just cause some of you dont have the time, patience or money to get photoshop? and or dont have the patience, skill, or time to learn to use it and do something with it? now im not saying im some super fly web designer, but im learning photoshop, and i agree with the "anything can be done with aerosol & prismas" that is soo soo true, but some of us, just cant afford the full set of prismas, therefore we use the colors on photoshop. i will admit, some of the digitla is way out of limit as far as walls and stuff go, but look at it this way, should the alpha battle be limited to just walls & spray paint, how many of you would enter? and honestly... it's like saying " the aplha battle is off limit to letters painted on walls, cause not all of us can paint"

PURE NONSENSE! THANX AND GOODAY MATE!

Guest --zeSto--

Bobby

Bobby

Bobby

Digi

Digi

Digi...

it's just another medium.

and hell...

We are on computers !!!!

Guest imported_Tesseract

Mamerro/Beardo/Zesto...well worded from all possible angles. And to add my 2 cents on a totally personal level, i always need clean resiseble letters for my Graphic design work, so i'm hitting two birds with one stone here...i thank the alphabattles for making my work more fun, and if you like my letters, thank me to!

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by Tesseract

so i'm hitting two birds with one stone here...

not me... I'm a vegetarian.

Re: sorr ycharley

Originally posted by PE5KYG5C

strongly disagree... as im sure mother has told you "LIFE ISNT FARE", learn to live with it... why should we have to be limited to a certain level of artistic expression just cause some of you dont have the time, patience or money to get photoshop? and or dont have the patience, skill, or time to learn to use it and do something with it? now im not saying im some super fly web designer, but im learning photoshop, and i agree with the "anything can be done with aerosol & prismas" that is soo soo true, but some of us, just cant afford the full set of prismas, therefore we use the colors on photoshop. i will admit, some of the digitla is way out of limit as far as walls and stuff go, but look at it this way, should the alpha battle be limited to just walls & spray paint, how many of you would enter? and honestly... it's like saying " the aplha battle is off limit to letters painted on walls, cause not all of us can paint"

PURE NONSENSE! THANX AND GOODAY MATE!

Pesky makes an incredibly good point...

I sort of agree wit both sides...

not being able to use photoshop hampers some people's creativity...

I have photoshop but opt to not use it because I want to improve my style and letter structure... and my ability to draw and paint... and (not that I'm blaming anyone for using these) photoshop has tools like straight lines and curves... with photoshop a paraplegic could draw the freshest letter ever presented on the 12oz forum... and FOR a paraplegic that would be fine... but an able bodied person should use their natural ability not their ability to click a mouse...

that's why I like El Mamerro's and Beardo's stuff so much...

I'm sure they could very easily do that on a computer... but they sketch it out... and that's what makes it hot... there's a certain look to a sketch... crisp... but not jagged like computer lines...

it's like the difference between an LP and a CD...

Re: Re: sorr ycharley

Originally posted by Kanedigital

Pesky makes an incredibly good point...

I sort of agree wit both sides...

not being able to use photoshop hampers some people's creativity...

I have photoshop but opt to not use it because I want to improve my style and letter structure... and my ability to draw and paint... and (not that I'm blaming anyone for using these) photoshop has tools like straight lines and curves... with photoshop a paraplegic could draw the freshest letter ever presented on the 12oz forum... and FOR a paraplegic that would be fine... but an able bodied person should use their natural ability not their ability to click a mouse...

that's why I like El Mamerro's and Beardo's stuff so much...

I'm sure they could very easily do that on a computer... but they sketch it out... and that's what makes it hot... there's a certain look to a sketch... crisp... but not jagged like computer lines...

For what it's worth... jagged lines out of photoshop are usually because the person doing the photoshopping doesn't know what they're doing.

And, as for the case about the paraplegic... what the fuck does that have to do with anything? If the paraplegic had some talent he could draw some shit, if he didn't he couldn't photoshop or no.

I'll say it again. there is no "do graffiti" button in photoshop.

Also, you're complaining about curves (and if you mean using bezier curve- that shit is harder than drawing I can assure you) and straight line tools? Have you ever looked in a professional illustrators toolbox? In a great number of them you would see the greatest assortment of rulers, french curves, flexible curves, circle templates, compasses, oval templates, etc. Does that somehow degrade the art? If it does, don't ever pick up a comic book, because not only are they colored on a computer, but both inkers and pencillers use all of the above with great regularity.

Archived