1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

alpha battles: no digital?????

Discussion in 'Paper Chase' started by cmeup, May 14, 2002.

1. cmeup

cmeup 12oz Veteran Member

alpha battles: no digital?????

Discussion started by cmeup - May 14, 2002

i think we should get rid of the digital images in tha alpha battles...

i think its not fair to all, and plus, half tha shit people do in that digital world, is impossible to do in sketches or on a wall/train..

keep it real, and stick to paper... thats my vote..

except maybe defy cuz he started that whole shit, or maybe even not... i think its just defeating the purpose of the sketch battles...

tease:mad:

cmeup - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx 12oz Senior Member

Harpo Marx - Replied May 14, 2002

yeah, i agree, it isnt fair, and you cant really judge skill that way.
    but then again, people like tesseract do incredible stuff with it that no matter who you are, cant be achieved in reality.
    i dunno. do what you want.

Harpo Marx - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. THEdude

THEdude Guest

THEdude - Replied May 14, 2002

digital is dope

they should make two threads
    one digital one sketches.......

I don't know I suck

4. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

MR BOJANGLES - Replied May 14, 2002

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/menotyou2/d.jpg'>
    no offense but i could easily paint this on a wall.
    on a side note i can see what youre saying about a few of them now that ive looked around.

5. mud_buddha

mud_buddha 12oz Senior Member

mud_buddha - Replied May 15, 2002

(a) what's not fair about it? I haven't had a set of markers in a decade, is it unfair to me when someone does a colored piece with markers? Or, since I have a huge box full of acrylics and can paint my ass of with them, would it be unfair if I busted some acrylics since not everyone has the loot for 50 8 dollar tubes of liquitex?

(B) as I've said before, there is no "do graffiti" button in photoshop, so how it detracts from a playful sketch battle is beyond me.

If you really want to make it fair, and make it all about letters then have one rule and one rule only NO COLOR. Otherwise it's just silly.

mud_buddha - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. another loser

another loser 12oz Elite Member

another loser - Replied May 15, 2002

i sketch mine out and the only reason i edit them with my computer is because the scanner sucks, so i clean it up and shit.
    [​IMG]

another loser - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. dead fetus

dead fetus Guest

dead fetus - Replied May 15, 2002

i think, for the most part, it shouldnt really matter.. it all comes from the persons head anyway.

The only thing i might object to is the crazy photoshop fills... that dosnt really take any personal or creative skill to create.

8. mud_buddha

to create the effect itself, no, you just run a filer. to make it look good? to pick the right colors and use an effect in the right place? of course it takes skill and creativity.

9. dead fetus

dead fetus Guest

dead fetus - Replied May 15, 2002

i dont really consider someone to be 'creative' when they're using programmed effects that anyone can use.

10. mud_buddha

I'm not going to argue the point. I will ask- do you use photoshop?

11. imported_El Mamerro - Replied May 15, 2002

Keep the digital.

If you've been around the digital realm for a while, you can easily spot what a programmed effect is, and what was actually created with originality.

Digital is a different skill, it's another tool. It makes certain things easier, it can add flashiness, but if you know enough about design you can see through this flashiness and determine if the creation itself is good or not. Example: that DFEKT guy who pussied out of the C battle. His stuff was flashy, it looked impressive, but his composition sucked, he used cliched elements, and it clearly looked like he didn't take enough time to tweak it. I've seen that style well executed, and it kicks ass... he just wasn't there yet.

And I don't see why "paintability" is an issue... if it is, then I'll have to stop doing my robotic stuff cause it's next to impossible to paint. This battle should be about how far you can take letters and their forms, regardless of medium. Let the kids who have the tools and the skill to go digital do so. Beer,

El Mamerro

12. ~DeNtOnE~

~DeNtOnE~ 12oz Senior Member

~DeNtOnE~ - Replied May 15, 2002

hahahaha!

:p :p :p sorry yall bitch to much i member the rules were any letter on a wall, book, train, plane, in a house with a mouse.... lol did i say with a fox in a box? sorry i know im new but i use to just look at treads.. now i can replay and not mubble to my self as a scrool!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

~DeNtOnE~ - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. cmeup

cmeup 12oz Veteran Member

cmeup - Replied May 15, 2002

first off there is nothing wrong with tha digital images...

when i said its not fair, i meant to those who dont have those certain programs to use... (as far as the winning goes, even though there isnt a prize, but still...) winners regonizition...

i cant post anyways, i dont got a scanner or digi cam or whatever anyways...

but i just think its kinda pointless to do something for a sketch battle on tha computer... maybe not even that, but like those crazy abstract fills... or tha effects....

fuck, i dont know... i know some of you can paint what you got on them digi's but i know some people cant paint alot of that shit also...

defy, can you paint that crazy shit you do in photoshop? i wouldnt think so, im not harpin' on you, just kinda making you an example... i know you've come along way, but shit, i dont think you can paint as crazy as you can imagine shit up on tha comp in digi land...

whatever, i just wanted to see what yall thought...

im highly enjoying the creativity and tha posts in tha threads... keep up tha good work, those who are posting..

tease

cmeup - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. dolomite

dolomite Guest

dolomite - Replied May 15, 2002

i cant paint the 3d crazy shit but all the other ones im pretty damn sure i can, by the way, im not using any "special effects" here is a list of tools i have used:

line tool
    paint brush
    airbrush
    pencil

plus im in lack of a scanner and/or a digi cam.

15. dolomite

dolomite Guest

dolomite - Replied May 15, 2002

funny, that i was the only person to be called out on digitals.. hahahaha
    besides tesseract, and he was comlimented. HAHahaHAHahHA