Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

all of your data are belong to microsoft

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Apr 8, 2004.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

All your data (and biz plans) are belong to Microsoft
    By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
    Published Friday 30th March 2001 15:35 GMT
    With Microsoft's HailStorm .NET initiative hinging on the company's very own PassPort service, you'd think Redmond would be bending over backwards to stress the confidentially of user information.

Well, if that's the case, it hasn't started yet.

The current Passport Terms of Use agreement not only fails to guarantee confidentially, but actually gives Microsoft and its business partners the right to own your information, and do pretty much what they want with it. That encompasses all your Hotmail and MSN Messenger communications today.

As the Terms state:

"By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication
    with or through the Passport Web Site ... you are granting Microsoft and its affiliated companies permission to:

1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any such communication.

2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.

3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication."

And it doesn't stop there. Are you emailing a contact about a hot idea or business plan of your own? Hand that over, too:

The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft's use of the materials contained within such communication.

After the eFront debacle, we're baffled why anyone would want to trust confidential communications to any of the big IM services, let alone MSN Messenger.

Apple originally launched its iDisk service with a similar landgrab, but was quickly forced to retreat.

As reader Ken points out, 'All Your Data Belong To Us'. He's not kidding. ®

neat, huh?

2. -J.Handsome-

-J.Handsome- Member

all my bases still belong to you casek.

3. mr.yuck

mr.yuck Veteran Member

So i should probably stop talking about most of the shit i talk about through email then, eh?

4. Milton

Milton Senior Member

"1. publicly display
    3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication"

I could really be fucked, good thing Bill Gates doesn't hate me. I can picture a personal email posted on a billboard or something.