Alife x Married to the Mob

The Hipster

ALIST3%20BORDER.jpg

*Alist tee - produced by, "Married to the Mob" exclusively for alife.

Alife is proud to introduce the first and only female brand into the, "Retail Mafia" line up.

These ladies of leisure are infamous for their mob wife lifestyle; sleeping late, brunching

and boozing, talking shit and Most Official Bitch behavior.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

pic_05.jpg

Married to the Mob is the brainchild of Sharon Coyne and Leah McSweeney and was conceived during a (drunk) night while the two were contemplating about the male-dominated T-shirt game. Due to the lack of fresh labels for the ladies they decided to set up their own venture MTTM. Don't be fooled into thinking that these girls just married into the mafia, though. "The Mob" stands for "Most Official Bitches" - a crew which consists of some of NYC’s finest ladies: including DJ’s, breakers, models, designers, stylists, and "even some bum bitches who are just known for wil’ing out."

Where to look for these T-shirts? Check your local mall or girly stores in the main shopping districts... Yeah, right. These girls take business seriously and they won't accept anything less than the top-range retail spaces. Globally that is. They are right there besides the most sought after 'male' brands at Union/NYC, Ssurplus/NYC, or In4mation/HI. Also check their ltd. edition *Alist tee for alife.

pic_06.jpg

pic_01.jpg

pic_03.jpg

pic_04.jpg

pic_07.jpg

Originally posted by Al Green@Nov 24 2004, 01:58 AM

wow... thats dumber then usual.

hahaha.

i got your back Rick on this one rick, these girls definitely deserve ass to mouth.

i seriously think i could go to new york, start an aryan pride clothing company and have motherfuckers jocking it. you don't even need good designs anymore, you just have to TELL people the shit is good and every pharell williams wanna be motherfucker will be jumping out their shoes and socks to support white unity.

all day gay.

Originally posted by seeking+Nov 24 2004, 05:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seeking - Nov 24 2004, 05:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Al Green@Nov 24 2004, 01:58 AM

wow... thats  dumber then usual.

hahaha.

i got your back Rick on this one rick, these girls definitely deserve ass to mouth.

i seriously think i could go to new york, start an aryan pride clothing company and have motherfuckers jocking it. you don't even need good designs anymore, you just have to TELL people the shit is good and every pharell williams wanna be motherfucker will be jumping out their shoes and socks to support white unity.

all day gay.

[/b]

SAY WORD!!!

watch out... they're from Chelsea and "the mean streets of Yonker, NY"...... that's hilarious..... so is this:

In4mant: Who do you roll with?

MTTM : We roll with a select, privileged few…generally ill girls who hold it down…bitches who do their own thing…but mostly, you'll find us chillin with the boys of the Retail Mafia.

that one girl has some nice funbags though.

whatever... theres the jokey things that are funny when youre stoned.. and the jokey things that become tshirts on St Marks..

then as a consumer.. theres the jokey things people are trying to sell you (oh because theyre american apparel egyptian cotton premium t shirts) for 50 dollars... which make you a walking jackass billboard.

slo-mos.

• 4 weeks later...

Married to the Mob x RTHQ Interview

Who are MTTM?

MTTM is two ladies Leah Christine McSweeney and Sharon Coyne.

When did you guys launch your label? Is this the first season?

MTTM was launched in July of 2004...so yeah, this is our first season.

Are you sticking with Ts for the moment or are there plans for further womens' wear?

We are adding sweatshirts next season but intend to keep developing the line to eventually include denim and footwear. We have visions of big things and we know they’ll happen as long as we keep doing our thing.

When I heard the name of the label I thought of the Pfieffer/Modine film, but is that where you got the name from? Or is it a play on the whole NYC Retail Mafia thing?

Married to the Mob has so many meanings to us…of course it's a real catchy phrase because of the movie...but in terms of the way we use it, it is kind of a play on the retail mafia..but not what you'd think. At first, everyone thought it meant the girls were "married to the Retail Mafia", but in fact, it actually means Married to the Most Official Bitches (MOB)---our all female crew.

mttm1.jpg

Are you representing a scene with your stuff?

We are representing a state of mind. Fuck scenes. Whether you are some Jersey guidette, Staten Island hoochie, Flatbush thug bitch, or some L.E.S hipster that moved here from Pennsylvania to go to Pratt, if you are feeling our shit then it’s all good. We are representing girls that have the same mentality as guys…girls who like to go out, wil’ out and who really don’t take shit from anyone…bitches that say what’s on their minds and don’t care who they upset with it.

The slogans also seem to convey that you guys aren't to be messed with. Are you really as scary as I imagine?

We wouldn’t say that slogans completely characterize MTTM or that it’s just a launching point. So far slogans are really all we've done...and we're most likely going to stick with it.... neither one of us are huge fans of graphics on t's...but if we find something real ill, than yeah, "we'll put it on a shirt".

mttm2.jpg

The line of Ts I've seen are slogan based. Is that just the launch point or is that theme that characterises the label?

Haha!! You imagine us scary! That is funny. Us, scary?....Hell no...We’re as sweet as angels...don’t provoke us, don’t fuck with us, and we'll stay that way. Just kidding. Some might say we are scary or crazy, but they are delusional. If we don’t agree with something we speak up. When someone fucks with us we aren’t about to run away from them. But we will diss the shit out of you until you are crying. Maybe it’s just that New Yorker thing.

Where do you sell your label?

We sell mostly in shops known for their male labels. We just feel that most girly boutiques are not representative of our line. We sell at Union NY and LA, SurrPlus NY, Our Spot Sydney, In4mants Hawaii, Ambush Singapore, Best London, Situationormal Cali, and an exclusive tee we did with alife on their website.

So they sell your stuff in Union, so I imagine the Supreme Bitch T was taken with good humour by the crew at Lafayette. Am I getting too analytical if I was to ask if you were reclaiming (or even parodying) the feminist text Barbara Kruger might have conveyed in her work, or was it just a piss take on the Supreme logo and no more?

At first we weren’t sure if the Supreme Bitch tee would be a problem. But we were like fuck it. We brought it to Union and Maryanne took the shirts to James’ at his office and came back down two minutes later and said he liked it. That was pretty dope. We aren’t all that familiar with Barbara Kruger, so no it had nothing to do with her work. We did it to make noise. It worked. And girls dig it. Even guys dig it.

How important do you think it is for a womens label in New York to be picked up by celebrities (or more accurately, their stylists) to be a suscess?

I don’t think a brand needs to be worn by celebs to be a success--in fact, I think it could be a curse, shit...I don’t want to see Britney spears or Jessica Simpson wearing Married to the Mob----sure we'd make some quick money, but then we'd be trendy and most likely our brand would be played out in a few months...on some von dutch tip-there's no coming back from that! We’d much rather prefer to build our line over time and have a really cool following--seeing girls wearing the shirts because they really like them, because they think the same way we do, not bc some stylist told them it was cool.

What does the future hold for MTTM?

Who knows? That is what makes it so exciting. We are just going to keep building our line, turning out cool shit that we like and working on becoming globally successful…and hopefully one day, we’ll be a leading brand in women’s street wear.

Thank you for your time...

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 27 2004, 02:08 PM

if this thread could find a way to oppress palestinians and hate on gays, it would represent absolutely everything that i hate in the world.

hahaha! i wonder when people will stop paying to have Alife laugh at you?

I'm also curious what girls would rock these? I mean outside of Brooklyn Guidettes under a Juicy Couture velour hoodie. But these are marketed to girls who frequent Alife, which is a very low number. Or to the Girlfriends of guys who frequent Alife, Supreme, etc, etc! Usually those girls have waaaaay more style and sense to not even wnat to be caught dead in these! The girls who even know what Alife is or supreme I'm sure never rocked sparkly "princess" or "Bad Girl" tee... so why would they rock these?

throw these on 86th in Bensonhurst or Bay Ridgeand they'll fly off the shelfs!

• 3 months later...

girls.jpg

Ever since its inception in the '80s, the upper-echelon streetwear industry has been running deep in testosterone. From Stussy to Supreme, the world's most exclusive t-shirt lines have primarily been FMBM - for men, by men.

Enter New York's very own MTTM aka Married to the Mob. Backed by Leah Christine McSweeney (left) and Sharon Coyne (right), the MOB girls have infiltrated the clandestine trade with the first-ever female-driven and catered t-shirt line.

MTTM's first season was a runaway success. Their balls-out (literally and figuratively) business tactics and hard-edged graphics made a noisy splash in the high-end streetwear market. A cover feature in Being Hunted magazine, and placement in elite street boutiques worldwide (In4mation, Union, Colette to name a few) were apparently just the tip of the iceberg, as the girls prepare to launch into the much-anticipated second season. Married to the Mob, the sequel, coming to a store near you...

------------------------------------------

So you guys have come a long way in just a few months… why do you think MTTM made such an impact in the industry?

We made such an impact because we are the only girls in the scene doing it..!

Point taken. Explain your relationship with the Retail Mafia (aNYthing, alife, Priceless, J-Money). For those who don’t know, what is it exactly?

Retail Mafia (RM)is just a bunch of NYC designers that are friends/associates that look out for each other. MTTM brings the female aspect and drama to the RM. We help keep downtown flavorful.

sin.jpg

Along with all the attention, come the haters, ya?

HAHA…Basically, people don’t sit around and say nice things about people. That is just boring. We know this. We find this stuff incredibly entertaining. Who doesn’t love to read shit about themselves. You know Paris has a subscription to US Weekly. We assume that 80% of the people on Supertalk (an online message-board which has hosted much MTTM discussion) are 14 year old hillbillies that haven’t a clue of what’s going on.

A lot of the attention – positive AND negative – comes from the fact that you’re a couple of GIRLS, in a traditionally 100% male-dominant game. Why is this so upsetting? Are these dudes threatened?

It’s upsetting because a lot of people have been doing this for years and haven’t made as much noise as we have in 9 months. We would be pissed too. I don’t think they are threatened...we don’t sell men’s clothes…we don’t cater to their market...they are just mad because of the shine we get. Oh well.

Fashion is stereotypically a female-streamlined industry, so why is there such a blatant NO GIRLS policy in street fashion? It seems almost taboo for a popular men’s streetwear line to venture into women’s clothing…

We don’t know why these guys are so anti-female. But that is fine with us. We are more then happy to fill the void. But now, watch...in the next few months, let’s see how many girls come out of the wood-work with tee shirt lines that attempt to compete with us.

Speakin’ of which, how is the female customer responding to your gear? MTTM is treading on new territory, so I’m sure your demographic is cautious ..are girls catching on?

The girls love our shit. It’s like nothing else that’s out there. It’s not about girls catching on. These girls have been waiting for this. The bitches that wear our shit know what time it is.

What else is next for MTTM?

Big things. Big things.

shirts.jpg

MARRIED TO THE MOB'S

TOPS

TOP 5 Places to eat in New York

1. Masuya

2. Mermaid Inn

3. Casa

4. Schiller’s

5. Taco Bell on Delancy

TOP 5 favorite lines

1. Balenciaga

2. YSL

3. alife

4. Rick Owens

5. Dinero [also don’t sleep on the clothing section at National Wholesale Liquidators]

TOP 5 albums you’re listening to

1. Lil’ Kim- Hardcore

2. Mobb Deep- Infamous

3. Dr. Dre- The Chronic

4. Wu-Tang- 36 Chambers

5. Reggea Gold- 1992

Best thing about being the only girls in a boys-only club??

Being the only girls!

http://www.thehundreds.com

Guest fr8lover
Originally posted by The Hipster@Dec 23 2004, 12:17 PM

So they sell your stuff in Union, so I imagine the Supreme Bitch T was taken with good humour by the crew at Lafayette. Am I getting too analytical if I was to ask if you were reclaiming (or even parodying) the feminist text Barbara Kruger might have conveyed in her work, or was it just a piss take on the Supreme logo and no more?

At first we weren’t sure if the Supreme Bitch tee would be a problem. But we were like fuck it. We brought it to Union and Maryanne took the shirts to James’ at his office and came back down two minutes later and said he liked it. That was pretty dope. We aren’t all that familiar with Barbara Kruger, so no it had nothing to do with her work.

they don't seem to know much about anything. no doubt they paid some cat to foot the design work, sucked some retail mafia dick and invested some face time with magazines in the hopes of getting paid. the stuff's just boring. they're way late on the whole "ironic use of high class pop culture and LES attitude" schtick. the LES is tame, jacking LV and chanel logos is lame, and actual hard working designers and shirt makers should be embarrassed that these two dingbats managed to hustle these "designs" to places like alife and ssur.

they don't seem to know much about anything. no doubt they paid some cat to foot the design work, sucked some retail mafia dick and invested some face time with magazines in the hopes of getting paid. the stuff's just boring. they're way late on the whole "ironic use of high class pop culture and LES attitude" schtick. the LES is tame, jacking LV and chanel logos is lame, and actual hard working designers and shirt makers should be embarrassed that these two dingbats managed to hustle these "designs" to places like alife and ssur.

hahaha...he said dingbats.

• 1 month later...

Interview! > Married To The Mob!

Married to the Mob is fresh. We had the chance to pick the brains of the newest and most official players in the women's street wear game. We chop it up on everything from Production issues, the future of the label, having no water in your apartment, Willy Nelson and watermelon taffy. They are doing it very big, much respect. Check it!

THE BRILLIANCE! > Married to the Mizzob... What's really good with you guys lately?

MTTM! > Chillin . Hustling as usual and in the mean time enjoying life.

TB! > More importantly, how corny was that 'Mizzob' above?

MTTM! > Corny is good sometimes.

TB! > What did you guys have for breakfast? And what is dinner looking like this evening?

L! > I don't wake up early enough for breakfast. But the first thing I had in my mouth was.......... walnuts and craisins.

S! > i had no water in my apt this morning...so i had i a week old iced coffee i found in the fridge for breakfast. We're eating at Leah's house...she's cooking pork chops and sausage....i might go home.

TB! > For those who don't live in NYC, aren't constantly on Being Hunted, or are just super-square...explain to us what MTTM is all about. The whole thing...the clothing, the lifestyle, the brand, etc.

MTTM! > Dam there are people who dont know about MTTM yet?...only kidding...well MTTM is all about our way of life.....the style we like, the parties we go to, the people we chill with, the trouble we get into, the shit we laugh about....

TB! > If you were given three words to describe MTTM what would they be?

MTTM! > MOST OFFICIAL BITCHES

TB! > Who is MTTM? Name the people involved.

MTTM! > Us, Leah and Sharon. But all of our friends are involved some way or another. Either just supporting, repping and sometimes helping out with shit.

TB! > What city do you guys rep?

MTTM! > NYC of course.

TB! > Does each member play a specific role or does everybody handle everything?

MTTM! > No we both handle everything. Nothing is done without the other being involved...it's like checks and balances.

TB! > How did things get started for you guys? What made you want to start MTTM?

MTTM! > We were bored as shit last summer and drunk all the time. So we had good ideas and the resources to get started...so we said fuck it....let's start our own line.

TB! > What makes MTTM different then 'everyone else' doing their thing in the niche-fashion game? Would you credit a lot of the originality to the fact that it's a girls-only brand?

MTTM! > Well for one, it's different cause we're doing it....it's our perspective. We dont think it is original soley because it is girls only, we think it's original because of the concepts behind each shirt. most of the logos could be altered a little and work on a man's shirt. If anything, we think it's original because everything is kind of masculine but intended for women....20 other girls-only brands can come out, and we dont think that will fuck up our game at all. There is only one Married to the Mob.

TB! > What is the day-to-day like running MTTM? Is it a full-time job for you?

MTTM! > WE dont fuck wit "full-time"...haha.... We are big on enjoying our lives. We do what we do, we enjoy our day, and incorporate work in. Realistically, we are always working....it's always on our minds. Sometimes we'll call one another at 4 in the morning because we have a good concept to discuss. Sometimes its a shitty idea at 4am and the one on the receiving end gets pissed.

TB! > I want to talk to some of the more 'behind-the-scenes' type areas of the clothing game... Such as manufacturing. Which, to those who don't know, is no joke...it's quite difficult to get everything lined up. How did that go for you guys, was it a struggle to pull it all together?

MTTM! > Oh production is a pain in the ass. anything that could go wrong has gone wrong for us at one time or another. we were dealing with some jerk-offs who cut the necklines opened on all of our shirts. We had assholes sewing in tags upside down and shit. one place even forgot to "cure" half of a production run!...curing seals the ink, so when the shirts were washed everything washed off. It's just a matter of dealing with the bad as it comes along and learning from mistakes.

TB! > How is it going now? Are you guys doing cut-and-sew pieces at all?

MTTM! > Right now things are going well, we think we have the production figured out. Next season we are adding cut and sew, some off the wall shit. Just keep your pants on...you'll see it soon enough.

TB! > What about runs...how many of each piece do you produce? Or are you producing in accordance with demand?

MTTM! > We produce based on demand and pre-orders we receive for each style.

TB! > What's long(er) term vision for the pieces in the line? Shirts, shoes, pants/jeans, jackets, accessories, those old long-ass Triple Fat Goose style jackets, fannie packs?

MTTM! > oh yeah....all that good stuff. keep your eyes peel for a flask and bikini in the near future.

TB! > If you could organize a concert with any 5 musicians/bands dead or alive, who would we see?

MTTM! > 1. the notorious B.I.G

2. chopin

3. Jimi Hendrix

4. Willy Nelson

5. N.W.A

we like a lot of dead people.....is willy nelson still alive?

TB! > Also, I know right now MTTM is strictly a women's line. For somewhat obvious reasons I would assume it will continue on like that... Is that the plan? Was that a stupid question?

MTTM! > yep that's the plan. we've been asked to do men's shirts before...we just dont care to.

TB! > Real quick... Sidekick or Blackberry? Nike or Adidas? Sushi or McDonalds? Apple or PC? Aston Martin or Lambo? Palm trees or Pine trees?

L! > Treo, Nike, Sushi even though I love a good double pounder with cheese once in a while, apple, to be honest I'm more of an SL 500 hard top convertible kind of a girl, palm trees for sure.

S! > Treo; Nike; Sushi...fuck mc donald's...i saw supersize me; Apple--but the shit is always breaking; aston martin for sure; cherry blossom trees.

TB! > Distribution... I actually saw your stuff at Huf last weekend in SF and I know you guys are doing your thing in quite a few of the staple stores in NYC... How did your distribution come about? Do you handle all of that internally?

MTTM! > We do all of our own distribution...we're hands on if ya know what i mean.

TB! > Officially, list all the stores people can find your gear...

MTTM! > nah.

TB! > Any store you would love to have carry your gear?

MTTM! > one that will order 2million pieces each season.

TB! > What about a MTTM store in the future...is this something you guys are thinking about?

MTTM! > we're working on it....we just dont want to link up with some investor that tries to change how we do.

TB! > What about collaborations... I know you did one with Alife, any other ones in the future coming up? I remember reading on Supertalk that there were rumors of you and Bape doing something...?!

MTTM! > oh we cant tell you..but yeah we are in talks on a few big things with some big people that we respect...

TB! > Alright... Some off the subject questions... What brands/people do you really appreciate right now? Who is cold doing their thing?

MTTM! > Alife and Supreme always...they are the kings and inspire us. Goyard- act like you know. Versace-making an ill comeback. Lindsay Lohan- we love that freckled little coke head.

TB! > Now name names!! Who is wack right now? Who should just quit while they're behind?

MTTM! > Marc Jacobs--enuf with that vintage copied, so-called "inspired" bullshit. And what the fuck is he doing over at LV? Imitation of Christ---no explanation needed. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes; worst cover up for a gay actor ever.

TB! > Favorite website(s)?

MTTM! > style.com

thebrilliance.com of course

movieshark.com

beinghunted.com

google.com

gawker.com.....gawker stalker is the shit.

TB! > Favorite places to travel? Any 'dream' vacation destination?

L! > My favorite place so far is St. Barth's

S! > My favorite is Copenhagen..I hate the weather but i love the city & the people.

MTTM! > As for a dream vacation...we want to plan a Retail Mafia "family vacation" to Robert's Cove--it's a whole little island you can rent off of belize...it has like 10 huts in the water...it's dope.

TB! > Favorite flavor of taffy?

L! > Watermelon

S! > I dont eat that.

TB! > Best designed car right now?

L! > AMG benzo

S! > Maybach

TB! > This is the random section... Anything you want here. Random thoughts, something crazy that happened to you in traffic yesterday, shout outs or whatever the kids call it these days, what color socks you're wearing, anything is cool here... Let em' have it!

L! > lets see...shout outs to the whole MOB Crew and Retail Mafia, my main men Jest and Jerry, and my fam. I didn't wear socks today cause I had on loafers. Let's see what else...oh yeah...mad love to my partner in business and crime, Sharon, for beating some girls ass last week at Lotus after she started with me for no apparent or obvious reason. I wish I could've seen her fucked up face the next day.

TB! > Final words? Closing thoughts?

MTTM! > cant think of any....sorry.

TB! > Was this interview too long?

L! > kind of...not really.

S! > I have A.D.D...

TB! > As always... What are your thoughts on THE BRILLIANCE?

MTTM! > Good stuff!

End.

big_1.jpg

big_2.jpg

big_3.jpg

big_4.jpg

big_5.jpg

big_6.jpg

big_7.jpg

big_8.jpg

http://www.thebrilliance.com

• 2 weeks later...