Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Alife x Married to the Mob

Discussion in 'Style' started by The Hipster, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Hipster

The Hipster Member

[​IMG]

*Alist tee - produced by, "Married to the Mob" exclusively for alife.
    Alife is proud to introduce the first and only female brand into the, "Retail Mafia" line up.
    These ladies of leisure are infamous for their mob wife lifestyle; sleeping late, brunching
    and boozing, talking shit and Most Official Bitch behavior.

2. The Hipster

The Hipster Member

[​IMG]

Married to the Mob is the brainchild of Sharon Coyne and Leah McSweeney and was conceived during a (drunk) night while the two were contemplating about the male-dominated T-shirt game. Due to the lack of fresh labels for the ladies they decided to set up their own venture MTTM. Don't be fooled into thinking that these girls just married into the mafia, though. "The Mob" stands for "Most Official Bitches" - a crew which consists of some of NYC’s finest ladies: including DJ’s, breakers, models, designers, stylists, and "even some bum bitches who are just known for wil’ing out."

Where to look for these T-shirts? Check your local mall or girly stores in the main shopping districts... Yeah, right. These girls take business seriously and they won't accept anything less than the top-range retail spaces. Globally that is. They are right there besides the most sought after 'male' brands at Union/NYC, Ssurplus/NYC, or In4mation/HI. Also check their ltd. edition *Alist tee for alife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The Hipster

The Hipster Member

4. Grimes

Grimes Veteran Member

sounds like some hardcore bitches...

5. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

wow... thats dumber then usual.

6. GucciCondom

GucciCondom Veteran Member

7. El Producto

El Producto Senior Member

:nope:

gay

8. imported_dowmagik

imported_dowmagik Senior Member

holy hell those are some whack shirts. "fresh outta rehab"? jesus christ, were these bitches drunk when they designed the shirts too? i would rather see my girl rock a "hot stuff" or "whatever" tee than that shit. and peep the ill gRafF in the background HOW FUCKING STREET.

9. rick flair

rick flair Dirty Dozen Crew

I'LL GIVE ALL THOSE HOES THE ASS TO MOUTH TREATMENT!!!!!!!!

ESPECIALLY THE COCK SUCKER WITH HER NOSE IN THE AIR!!!!

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

hahaha.

i got your back Rick on this one rick, these girls definitely deserve ass to mouth.

i seriously think i could go to new york, start an aryan pride clothing company and have motherfuckers jocking it. you don't even need good designs anymore, you just have to TELL people the shit is good and every pharell williams wanna be motherfucker will be jumping out their shoes and socks to support white unity.

all day gay.

11. rick flair

rick flair Dirty Dozen Crew

hahaha.

i got your back Rick on this one rick, these girls definitely deserve ass to mouth.

i seriously think i could go to new york, start an aryan pride clothing company and have motherfuckers jocking it. you don't even need good designs anymore, you just have to TELL people the shit is good and every pharell williams wanna be motherfucker will be jumping out their shoes and socks to support white unity.

all day gay.
    [post=3726131]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

SAY WORD!!!

12. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

watch out... they're from Chelsea and "the mean streets of Yonker, NY"...... that's hilarious..... so is this:

that one girl has some nice funbags though.

13. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

whatever... theres the jokey things that are funny when youre stoned.. and the jokey things that become tshirts on St Marks..

then as a consumer.. theres the jokey things people are trying to sell you (oh because theyre american apparel egyptian cotton premium t shirts) for 50 dollars... which make you a walking jackass billboard.

slo-mos.

14. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 Member

you know what's sad? I just know in 2 weeks some twat will be selling these in shoreditch for a oner a peice.

15. The Hipster

The Hipster Member

Married to the Mob x RTHQ Interview

Who are MTTM?

MTTM is two ladies Leah Christine McSweeney and Sharon Coyne.

When did you guys launch your label? Is this the first season?

MTTM was launched in July of 2004...so yeah, this is our first season.

Are you sticking with Ts for the moment or are there plans for further womens' wear?

We are adding sweatshirts next season but intend to keep developing the line to eventually include denim and footwear. We have visions of big things and we know they’ll happen as long as we keep doing our thing.

When I heard the name of the label I thought of the Pfieffer/Modine film, but is that where you got the name from? Or is it a play on the whole NYC Retail Mafia thing?

Married to the Mob has so many meanings to us…of course it's a real catchy phrase because of the movie...but in terms of the way we use it, it is kind of a play on the retail mafia..but not what you'd think. At first, everyone thought it meant the girls were "married to the Retail Mafia", but in fact, it actually means Married to the Most Official Bitches (MOB)---our all female crew.

[​IMG]

Are you representing a scene with your stuff?

We are representing a state of mind. Fuck scenes. Whether you are some Jersey guidette, Staten Island hoochie, Flatbush thug bitch, or some L.E.S hipster that moved here from Pennsylvania to go to Pratt, if you are feeling our shit then it’s all good. We are representing girls that have the same mentality as guys…girls who like to go out, wil’ out and who really don’t take shit from anyone…bitches that say what’s on their minds and don’t care who they upset with it.

The slogans also seem to convey that you guys aren't to be messed with. Are you really as scary as I imagine?

We wouldn’t say that slogans completely characterize MTTM or that it’s just a launching point. So far slogans are really all we've done...and we're most likely going to stick with it.... neither one of us are huge fans of graphics on t's...but if we find something real ill, than yeah, "we'll put it on a shirt".

[​IMG]

The line of Ts I've seen are slogan based. Is that just the launch point or is that theme that characterises the label?

Haha!! You imagine us scary! That is funny. Us, scary?....Hell no...We’re as sweet as angels...don’t provoke us, don’t fuck with us, and we'll stay that way. Just kidding. Some might say we are scary or crazy, but they are delusional. If we don’t agree with something we speak up. When someone fucks with us we aren’t about to run away from them. But we will diss the shit out of you until you are crying. Maybe it’s just that New Yorker thing.

Where do you sell your label?

We sell mostly in shops known for their male labels. We just feel that most girly boutiques are not representative of our line. We sell at Union NY and LA, SurrPlus NY, Our Spot Sydney, In4mants Hawaii, Ambush Singapore, Best London, Situationormal Cali, and an exclusive tee we did with alife on their website.

So they sell your stuff in Union, so I imagine the Supreme Bitch T was taken with good humour by the crew at Lafayette. Am I getting too analytical if I was to ask if you were reclaiming (or even parodying) the feminist text Barbara Kruger might have conveyed in her work, or was it just a piss take on the Supreme logo and no more?

At first we weren’t sure if the Supreme Bitch tee would be a problem. But we were like fuck it. We brought it to Union and Maryanne took the shirts to James’ at his office and came back down two minutes later and said he liked it. That was pretty dope. We aren’t all that familiar with Barbara Kruger, so no it had nothing to do with her work. We did it to make noise. It worked. And girls dig it. Even guys dig it.

How important do you think it is for a womens label in New York to be picked up by celebrities (or more accurately, their stylists) to be a suscess?

I don’t think a brand needs to be worn by celebs to be a success--in fact, I think it could be a curse, shit...I don’t want to see Britney spears or Jessica Simpson wearing Married to the Mob----sure we'd make some quick money, but then we'd be trendy and most likely our brand would be played out in a few months...on some von dutch tip-there's no coming back from that! We’d much rather prefer to build our line over time and have a really cool following--seeing girls wearing the shirts because they really like them, because they think the same way we do, not bc some stylist told them it was cool.

What does the future hold for MTTM?

Who knows? That is what makes it so exciting. We are just going to keep building our line, turning out cool shit that we like and working on becoming globally successful…and hopefully one day, we’ll be a leading brand in women’s street wear.

Thank you for your time...