Alcoholics Anonymous

kido

This may be a fitting Sunday morning thread, who knows? Im an alcoholic, I am a serious problem drinker. If theres anyone out there that cant get sober AA is the place.

Is there anyone in the program, anyone that wants to share, this is an open discusion meeting:o :)

The floor is open

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Being young it is very difficult to get through that step. I breezed through the first three steps, because I was really down and out, but the shit storm passed, and I was back to thinking that I could be a functioning alcoholic and that I could manage my life.

Part of the insanity of this disease is that we tend to put that shit storm behind us pretty easily and drink away those past resentments

The 12 Suggested Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

None of you are as addicted to nicotine as I am, period.

I actually find myself rolling tobacco out of half-smoked butts [/homoblock] when I run out of squares pretty regularly.

It's sick, sad and disgusting but I'll be good goddamned if I'm going to let something as small as pride and self-restraint get in the way of my addictions.

hi bruno

Some people think that AA is a cult and that they brainwash you, the way that I see it is that I NEED my fucking brain washed. The way that I have gone about doing this is all wrong. My selfish and self seeking motives have led me to some of the worst places. I am willing to try something new, and so far shit isnt great, but it aint bad. Im in my first three months of sobriety and I can see that there is hope in this program.

Sorry to preach, but I had to get some shit off my chest

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.

yea theres selfhelp groups for just about everything, a friend of mine gets a kick out of the idea that theres a bunch of sex addicts in some of the groups I attend

Not a problem coronado,

For the people like tease in my life I read this:

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation--some fact of my life unacceptable to me and I can find no serentiy unmtil I accept6 that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing ahppens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept6 life completely on life's terms. I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

Shakespeare said, "all the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." He forgot to mention that I was the chief critic. I was always able to see the flaw in every person, every situation. And I was always glad to point it out because I knew you wanted perfection, just as I did. AA and acceptance have taught me that there is a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us; that we are all children of god an we each have a right to be here.

Been hearing the AA message all my life

My grandfather was an alcoholic and so was my mother. My Dad married two alcoholics. And I drink more than I should, so I'm pretty aware of the negative possibilities relating to alcohol.

AA is a good program, and in it's day, it was kind of revolutionary. Today, of course, it's kind of old school, and most addicts are polysubstance abusers. They don't just drink, they also use marijuana, cocaine, pills, etc., etc. And a lot of people who use have a real hard time with the "Higher Power" part of AA. Personally, I've come to believe in the "self-medication" theory of substance abuse. People who are suffering depression, or bipolar illness, or anxiety attacks, whatever, they tend to take whatever medication they have at hand to blunt the symptoms of their illness. If they have Prozac, they take that. If they have Jack Daniels or Panama Red, they take that. They will just continue to abuse substances to achieve relief until something changes, and they either go into treatment or they get arrested or something else bad happens.

The more stress you have in your life, and the fewer coping skills, and the less effective of a support system you have, the more susceptible you are to abusing substances. Millionaires, who seemingly are living the life of a king, can be depressed and miserable and in despair enough to want to kill themselves to escape. And Joe Six-Pack can be in a loving marriage, with kids that love and respect him and look to him for leadership, and good friends, can be facing all manner of hardships cheerfully, because he has stress, but a good support system and good coping skills. It's when you are overwhelmed, "alone" and feeling rejected and unloved that drowning your sorrows in drugs and booze begins to seem real attractive.

AA provides a support system. You get acceptance. You get friends, and even love, sort of. "Unconditional positive regard." That goes a long, long way towards helping someone stop drinking and start living. When it's a matter of hitting bottom, then the choice is clear: either one gets sober, or one dies drunk. Sobriety is a CHOICE.

Guest HESHIANDET

the "disease" part baffles me. i know alot of people in the program, and for them it has been positive. but is it really a clinical disease? im being serious. not trying to front. i dont know.

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

the "disease" part baffles me. i know alot of people in the program, and for them it has been positive. but is it really a clinical disease? im being serious. not trying to front. i dont know.

"i've diagnosed you with alcoholism. i'll write you a prescription for anti-biotics. take them 3 times a day for two weeks, and it'll clear right up"

shit aint a disease. it aint the flu. you don't catch alcoholism. you put time and effort into that shizz. it's not an illness, it's a fucking lifestyle

clinical disease... tough call... there's definitely a chemical dependency, and definitely genetic precursors that can predict possible problems but...

Maybe more of a syndrome, the diseases of the liver, kidney and heart (just to name a few...) are the results of a larger underlying cause.

thanks kabar, that was very informative and enlightening, you always have goo d things to say and I am grateful for that.

The part where you mention people having difficulty with "higher power" brings me back to the book, I struggled with this concept all my life:

Most of us think this awareness of a power greater than ourselves os the essence of spiritual experience. Our more religous members call it "god conciousness."

Most emphatically we wish to say that any alcoholic capable of honestly facinghis problems in the light of our experience can recover, provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.

We find that no one need have difficulty with the spirituality of the program. Willingness, honesty and open mindedness are the essentials of recovery. But these are indispensable.

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

Some think so, some dont. Ill dig something up, gimme a sec.

We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker. These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all; and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self-confidence, their reliance upon things human, their problems pile up on them and become astonishingly difficult to solve.

This was an excerpt*sp from the doctors opinion of the big book of AA, dr. silkworth I believe, back in the 1930's.

This has been found to be true that we problem drinkers create and manifest a chemical called acetate that makes us crave for drink. Some doctors believe that this is passed through genetics and in 1987 alcoholism was classified a disease