Alcoholics Anonymous

cultural me

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ive gone before. its pretty deppressing.

sitting in a room with mostly male alchoholics who are looking to god to stop drinking because of the damage done to their lifes is not really a good time.

i mean, im a asshole. i think it would be fun to sit there and laugh and make fun of them and then go binge drink. this is why i no longer attend and still drink.

i work though....so fuck it. my bills are paid. i like to drink heavily every day and its going to kill me. i dont drive drunk and dont get in fist fights so fuck it.

my problem with AA is that they have you turn to god to help you and believe that god can get you through this. i dont know, im not big on divine intervention in every day personal shit like that. i guess it works for people b/c they can hold onto something and believe that some force is helping them, but that wouldnt work for me.

i drink every night also, its sad.

Originally posted by StIdesChurch

my problem with AA is that they have you turn to god to help you and believe that god can get you through this. i dont know, im not big on divine intervention in every day personal shit like that. i guess it works for people b/c they can hold onto something and believe that some force is helping them, but that wouldnt work for me.

i drink every night also, its sad.

i never heard of them using god or divine intervention to help peeps. i thought it was mainly 'strength in numbers', like a support group.

why is it sad that you drink every night ?

the 12 steps of AA:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol; that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

ok maybe its not all about god but especially in the first few steps it just irks me. like admistting that you are powerless to stop your alcoholism but God could help you? i dont know, i cant even imagine stopping drinking altogether but if i did it (assuming i wanted to, which i dont see) i would consider it a great accomplishment and what not.

and nah, its not sad i drink every night, i keep my head on straight and shit about things for the most part.

actully its mainly a higher power type of shit. can be what you want. they do use the word god alot but doesnt mean shit. its support group-ish and whatever else you make of it. my "higher power" is jsut some dude i talk to in my head and its my friends and all that shit. im actully rather young and in rehab. almost got 9 months sober. word.

Originally posted by StIdesChurch

the 12 steps of AA:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol; that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Oh god.. please rid me of this list.

I had to receit all of those steps to my probation officer once a month and provide proof that I was attending 3 meetings a week for a year... needless to say, I've only been to 2 meetings... and I memorized the steps 2 hours before my meeting every month. I'm sure a number of people on here have had to do similar.

Archived