Alberta moves to expand private health care

T.T Boy

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - The government of the Western Canadian province of Alberta is proposing changes to its public health care system that some opponents say may expand private health care and violate federal law.

Iris Evans, health and wellness minister in Alberta's Progressive Conservative government, introduced a 10-point package of planned reforms in the provincial legislature on Tuesday that she said would protect the current system of government-paid health care, while allowing patients to pay for items such as knee and hip replacements or cataract surgery if they wish to skip waiting lists.

Doctors would also be allowed to practice privately while working within the public system.

Dubbed the "Third Way" by the government, the proposals were attacked by at least one group that monitors Canada's public health care system.

"I think that being able to pay to get medically necessary services quicker violates the Canada Health Act," said Harvey Voogd, coordinator for Friends of Medicare in Edmonton, Alberta. "It's legalizing queue-jumping."

While Canada's provinces are responsible for paying for health care, the federal government sets the rules for the system under the Canada Health Act. The act guarantees public payment for health care and mandates that all necessary health services must be available within the public system.

Speaking to reporters at an Ottawa press conference carried on the CTV Newsnet network, federal Health Minister Tony Clement said he was studying Alberta's proposals and wouldn't say if they violate Canadian law.

"We're examining the situation closely," he said. "My concern is accessibility...That's the prism through which I'm observing the current debate in Alberta."

The Alberta government has long been a vocal opponent of the Canada Health Act. However, it has shied away from introducing any changes to its laws that would contravene the federal legislation.

Evans, in a release, said the province would still have a government-paid health care system but the province, which is expecting a budget surplus of more than C$7 billion ($6.1 billion) this year, is concerned about the rising costs of paying its citizens' health care tab.

"We are absolutely committed to public health care," the minister said. "We are equally committed to ensuring the system survives."

($1=$1.14 Canadian)

link

this makes me so mad. oh, lets just ignore what canada is all about, and whats law and do this for all us rich hillbillies who wish we could suck american penis all day long. dazzle go do some civil disobediance for me would you? i want to move back just to start trouble politically.

so what do you canadians think? this is ok? or am i mental?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well, there's a disturbing trend in health care these days but maybe encouraging it would be a better path for the Albertan govt...

Medical Tourism... lot's of folks are traveling to Asia to get operations for WAY less than in the US. I forget the procedure but one guy I saw that did this went from almost paying $20,000 in the US to traveling to Asia somewhere, staying 10 days in a top notch resort hotel AND getting his operation for $7,000 TOTAL.

yeah i think i like that idea more so than fucking up the whole national health care system. send them to india to get a cataract operation. its so silly, i mean cant you wait 3 months fo r something like that? its not a big deal. i mean its not like if your having a heart attack you have to wait 6 months to be give care.

Well, I'm sayin' the Govt just needs to fund an Ad campaign saying:

"We're working as fast as we can... got some extra dough? Willing to pay to jump the line? Go jump the line in Indochina! Not only will it add another spot to the line for people who can't afford it, it also reduces overall costs AND you get your proceedure right NOW!"

I dunno, seems like if you let this stuff fester up there you're gonna end up like us w/ a healthcare system that is totally overburndened and under the control of Pharm companies...

yeah, i agree with you on this. why go to a system like the us one which obviously isnt working when we have a slow one that does work. i mean somewhat, its not perfect but it works.

if people say they dont have the cash to pay for a flight to indochina then maybe they should just be waiting. imagine who benefits, indian economy, less people in line, and fast operation.

meh the same thing is happening in Quebec right now. Harper just said a week ago that he'll let quebec give it a try. and so what? bc ontario saskatchewan, quebec, ab, they all have private health care facilities. where do you think all the big wig politicians go to? your neibourghood Medicentre? haha no way. yeah kleins a dick and we all hate him, but thats life. and as long as they keep the number at a minimum (of private health care facilities) then im all for it. and im talking like 2 a province