Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Akima LLC now getting the finger

Discussion in 'News' started by Ko SprueOne, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ko SprueOne

Ko SprueOne Senior Member

2. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

Bringing the company into controversy, its pretty fucking basic adult life to not do things that could impact your livelihood.

Some guy acting a fool at an interoffice get together is not the same thing.

Salon is a joke site.

Cheers

3. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Hang on a minute, she wasn't on work time, she didn't show her face, she had nothing on her clothing that identified the company and when she posted the pic on her FB there was no mention of Akima on that webpage or her whole FB. She told her bosses out of courtesy and transparency.

6 months earlier she, as part of her responsibility at that company, had pointed out that another member of that org had been abusing another person as a "fucking Libtard asshole" with clear connections to his role at Akiba and the company itself. He was not disciplined in any way similar to this woman and still works at the company.

I can't recall which news site I got that from but I don't read clickbait sites and understand what is and isn't an authoritative source. Not to say that the above is 100% accurate but it is accurate to how I read it from WaPo, Reuters or some other similar broadsheet or wire website.

4. theprotester

If you genuinely believe your actions outside of work hours should have zero bearing on your job security then we can just go ahead and agree to disagree.

In your story I agree the guy should have been managed in some way for the bullying remarks, that is not OK.

Both of them were wrong in my eyes.

5. Hua Guofang

So you think that your actions outside of work, when still within the law and not in any way connected to your work (as in no logos, no connection from your FB, etc), can be morally judged by your boss and used as a reason to determine your employment?

I'm using this example above as a case in point. Her actions were not connected to her job in any way yet you still think her actions can impact her employment. I'm keen to know why, as an employer yourself, you feel that way.

6. theprotester

Because it could negatively effect my business if an employee is acting a fool down the pub or similar.

I agree with you on an ideals level but not on a reality level.

7. theprotester

Also I don't agree with your wording 'morally judged' - agreeing or disagreeing with the sentiment of the behaviour is irrelevant.

8. Ko SprueOne

Ko SprueOne Senior Member

I read only 2 articles covering this.
    " ... she told her employer that she was the unidentified cyclist in the photo… " = ERROR #1
    " ... on her personal social-media accounts — where she wordlessly posted the photo without identifying herself … " = ERROR #2
    If she had not done those two things, she would have kept her job.

9. Hua Guofang

For some one who doesn't like big government you don't seem to have any problem with intruding in other people's lives.

10. theprotester

You interrupt my income stream and I react accordingly.

Nothing at all to do with governance.

11. Hua Guofang

We may be talking cross purposes:

Do someting idiotic (like those tools hasling that other tool Dastyari) where your behaviour can be directly linked to your employer and yes, you are causing harm to your employer.

Do something idioting without any logos/company names, without posting it on your social media where you identify your employer and do that dumb shit in your own time and away from work - it has nothing to do with your employer and having your work terminated is an intrusion into your private life.

Taking that Akima case it was the COMPANY'S actions that harmed the company. If they hadn't have sacked her nobody would have known of any connection to Akima. She had no logos, was not on company time, was not on company property and her FB did not link to her employer. The only way people knew of that link was the news item about Akima sacking her. Bad decision making on behalf of the company and an intrusion into her private life.

12. theprotester

Bad decision making I guess in hindsight. But also she's known for 6 months that the company she works for either doesn't align with her political views or doesn't care about her opinion, sounds more like the company did her a favour and now she can live a more spiritually congruent existence on unemployment benefits.

I think we largely agree here but maybe we're a bit apart on what constitutes an intrusion into her personal life. I work for a company these days and had to sign essentially a waver stating anything I do anywhere is reasonable to expect it is a reflection on where I work, this includes social media etc. I was shocked when I first saw the document and had to swallow hard as I signed my life over. Not that I have a social media presence but in principal I was upset at the idea that my thoughts are monitored whether it relates to work or not.

I work for a super leftist organisation.

13. Hua Guofang

YEah, I'd find that pretty unacceptable myself.

An it's funny how the extremes of left and right become more alike each other the more extreme they get. I mean Mussolini and Stalin or Mao and Hitler were at opposite ends of the political spectrum but the outcomes on their populations were relatively similar; authoritarianism, war, massacres, fear, etc.

14. theprotester

Lol yes it was an out of body experience for me.