Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

AIM + Router = no file transfers.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by diggity, May 3, 2003.

1. diggity

diggity Guest

ok i've talked to a few cats that all have this same problem. I've had no problem sending files with AIM/ichat, but i added a router and now the shit doesnt work. im running OS X.2, checked all my prefs for the firewall and what not, but still having this problem. any of you guys know the deal on this shit? evidently the firewall is built into the router.

2. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

same problem. I can transfer to some people. Recently because of this problem, I have digressed from using AIM. That and, chat sucks.

3. anyone know a fix for this?

4. DyeStop.

DyeStop. Member

i have the same problem. my firewall is built into my router and i can't disable it. file transfer through AIM works only with a few people, and i dont know why. i wrote an email to the company that makes my router and i asked them what to do. their advice didnt help me that much and the stuff they said i should do was too complicated. however, if youre having this problem you should probably write to the people that made the router. if anyone finds a way to fix this, post it on here

5. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

so far there are seveeral possible problems that are causeing this:

1. the other aim user is using old AIM, versions that are NOT alway forward
    compatible ( dont know how to talk to newer aims)
    2. your port settings are off. Ie the fire wall port and ithe aim ports dont match
    typically the ports should be 5190.

3. on the firewall setting in your AIM prefs try switching the "allow direct conections"
    settings to a more relaxe security setting.

4. there is a setting on your routers set up panel that will alow for transfferes.
    most routers that home copms use provide a Non-static ip address ( i cant get to technical on this or i would need a shovel) the end result is on your NEtwork pefs settings make sure the tcp/ip is set to Using DHCP server instead of "Using DHCP with
    mannual IP address". this one is fairly basic though and i dodnt think it should be the cause

5. As AIM is preety cool its Buggy as ALL GET OUT. and can pose serious secruity problems. so if you keep ALL your HUSSLE records or tax shit, company recs, with the right time and energy they camn be MINE ( not me persay but MINE in the larger sense of the word Like any one elses)

i hope this helps a little at least. And if not: MY ROUTER WORKS FINE =)

6. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

there is a option in aim preferences, in file transfering...on the bottom a check box if you have a network card or something installd try clicking that it might work...

7. diggity

diggity Guest

i already looked at that, didnt help.
    bump

8. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

check the box of "use alternate internet address" on the bottom of the file transfers/file sharing "tab."

9. diggity

diggity Guest

in aim or os x? i dont see anything called that.

very frustrated bump

10. diggity

diggity Guest

finally...

i fixed it
    today my electricty went out and caused me alot of problems with connecting to the internet, my email client, and some other stuff, so i called tech support and listened to recorded voices talking not answering any of my questions, frustrated i went and found the book that came with it and went to the ip address it listed for setting up my router. did that, then played with all these configurations in the advanced settings. in the end what worked wasnt disabling the firewall but enabling DNZ

well hope this is helpful to some of you expierencing the same. atleast i was somewhat productive while waiting on the fedex man not to show up.

11. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

It's DMZ, not DNZ....

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

bump.

who knows where i can download an aim router? my searches have come up with nil.

13. diggity

diggity Guest

a router is what allows you to hook up several computers to the same connection.

14. NOUM

NOUM Elite Member

and where do you get the router from?

15. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

i switched to trillian and I can direct connect with anyone.