AIM + Router = no file transfers.

Guest diggity

Guest diggity

ok i've talked to a few cats that all have this same problem. I've had no problem sending files with AIM/ichat, but i added a router and now the shit doesnt work. im running OS X.2, checked all my prefs for the firewall and what not, but still having this problem. any of you guys know the deal on this shit? evidently the firewall is built into the router.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have the same problem. my firewall is built into my router and i can't disable it. file transfer through AIM works only with a few people, and i dont know why. i wrote an email to the company that makes my router and i asked them what to do. their advice didnt help me that much and the stuff they said i should do was too complicated. however, if youre having this problem you should probably write to the people that made the router. if anyone finds a way to fix this, post it on here

so far there are seveeral possible problems that are causeing this:

1. the other aim user is using old AIM, versions that are NOT alway forward

compatible ( dont know how to talk to newer aims)

2. your port settings are off. Ie the fire wall port and ithe aim ports dont match

typically the ports should be 5190.

3. on the firewall setting in your AIM prefs try switching the "allow direct conections"

settings to a more relaxe security setting.

4. there is a setting on your routers set up panel that will alow for transfferes.

most routers that home copms use provide a Non-static ip address ( i cant get to technical on this or i would need a shovel) the end result is on your NEtwork pefs settings make sure the tcp/ip is set to Using DHCP server instead of "Using DHCP with

mannual IP address". this one is fairly basic though and i dodnt think it should be the cause

5. As AIM is preety cool its Buggy as ALL GET OUT. and can pose serious secruity problems. so if you keep ALL your HUSSLE records or tax shit, company recs, with the right time and energy they camn be MINE ( not me persay but MINE in the larger sense of the word Like any one elses)

i hope this helps a little at least. And if not: MY ROUTER WORKS FINE =)

Guest diggity

finally...

i fixed it

today my electricty went out and caused me alot of problems with connecting to the internet, my email client, and some other stuff, so i called tech support and listened to recorded voices talking not answering any of my questions, frustrated i went and found the book that came with it and went to the ip address it listed for setting up my router. did that, then played with all these configurations in the advanced settings. in the end what worked wasnt disabling the firewall but enabling DNZ

well hope this is helpful to some of you expierencing the same. atleast i was somewhat productive while waiting on the fedex man not to show up.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by diggity

ok i've talked to a few cats that all have this same problem. I've had no problem sending files with AIM/ichat, but i added a router and now the shit doesnt work. im running OS X.2, checked all my prefs for the firewall and what not, but still having this problem. any of you guys know the deal on this shit? evidently the firewall is built into the router.

its because you have a firewall. wont let you do that if you have one. simply put atleast, dont feel like breaking out my books from school yet.

Re: finally...

i fixed it

today my electricty went out and caused me alot of problems with connecting to the internet, my email client, and some other stuff, so i called tech support and listened to recorded voices talking not answering any of my questions, frustrated i went and found the book that came with it and went to the ip address it listed for setting up my router. did that, then played with all these configurations in the advanced settings. in the end what worked wasnt disabling the firewall but enabling DNZ

well hope this is helpful to some of you expierencing the same. atleast i was somewhat productive while waiting on the fedex man not to show up.

that too. thats what i was talking about when i said simply put. you basically made an acl(access control list).

Originally posted by Vlad

my connection runs through a server with some proxy installed, and it fucks up when i try to transfer files over icq aim msn irc

for a proxy server you kind of have to do the same thing as the router, make an acl. im not definet on that so someone correct me if im wrong, i didnt pay attention in that block.

Re: finally...

in the end what worked wasnt disabling the firewall but enabling DNZ

DMZ

DeMilitarized Zone. That means that all incoming and outgoing ports are open. That makes your AIM work, but it also leaves you open for portscans, etc...

Re: Re: finally...

Originally posted by cantbefaded

DMZ

DeMilitarized Zone. That means that all incoming and outgoing ports are open. That makes your AIM work, but it also leaves you open for portscans, etc...

cool im glad theres people on here that know stuff. keep up the good work.l

Archived